Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Wanting to try out the 'astrophotography' setting that google have added to their pixel phones, last Tuesday I bought an adaptor to fit my phone to my tripod

Obviously, since then its been cloudy skies with occasional showers and rain every night and tonight will be the same.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Yes I was hoping to see that event, however here in Melbourne the weather was as usual completely antagonistic. Hell of a place if you want to see something interesting in the night sky - clouds can usually be relied upon to arrive at just the wrong moment. 

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The New Year.  Last night our next door neighbours had a small New Years party which is permitted under our present level one restrictions.  I could not help but notice though that they let off all their crackers at 10.00pm and went to bed shortly afterwards.

This could be due to either of two possibilities; - (a) Their clocks were running two hours slow.  Or (b) The New Year wasn't worth waiting up for.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And a Guid New Year tae a' o' ye on here.

It's been a blessing to have an absorbing hobby and the means to share it with good friends in this 'Annus Horribilis'.

Let's hope 2021 brings some sanity back into the world, but remember, keeeeeep modelling !   :good_mini:

Jim

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

anyway, very best wishes to you and your daughter.

And the very best from me for the New Year as well Mr Northroader.

A Happy New Year to all the members of the parish.

xnIrqzA.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

In similar vein , in the UK we have in Parliament a MP referred to as  "Member for the 17th Century" because of his style of dress (more "Edwardian" really ) and due to his "Refined Eton" tones.  Also we left the European union at midnight Europe time but 11pm GMT. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, DonB said:

in the UK we have in Parliament a MP referred to as  "Member for the 17th Century" because of his style of dress (more "Edwardian" really ) and due to his "Refined Eton" tones

My only quibble there is the suggestion that only one MP is living at least a century (or four) in the past. I think some of them think we haven't even experienced the events of 1381..

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, DonB said:

In similar vein , in the UK we have in Parliament a MP referred to as  "Member for the 17th Century" because of his style of dress (more "Edwardian" really ) and due to his "Refined Eton" tones.  Also we left the European union at midnight Europe time but 11pm GMT. 

Do we get a refund for that hour?:jester:

I used to work for a charity that received European Union funding so am familiar with the way it works and also how it doesn't work:angry:. The 'mandrins' in the UK, supposedly driven by the European Union rules, made a small charity bankrupt because they said Europe changed the rules three-quarters of the way through a two year project and asked them to pay back all the grant they had given them.

The fact that the people they helped, who were illiterate, were supposed to fill out 8 pages of registration forms didn't really help:blink:. We came up with a way to get these people a qualification at the same time as we discussed with them their enrollment on the course and therefore managed to help more people. I was then invited to share our methodologies with the rest of the project's partners within the County. I was not told that the 'suits' from London were there. I did think for while that I had blown it and our charity would be stripped of our grant but luckily they approved of us making their Money go further.

I do also think it a little perplexing that the proposed basic skills computing course, which ran to 3 large ring binders worth of densely written text was going to be allowed to be taken by people who couldn't read or write:wacko:.

Happy and healthy New Year to all.

Hope you resolve your points conundrum Edwardian.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, Regularity said:

My only quibble there is the suggestion that only one MP is living at least a century (or four) in the past. I think some of them think we haven't even experienced the events of 1381..

I disagree, many will find the peasants revolting!

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

21 hours ago, DonB said:

Would that be Reenie Smogg?.

• Like 1

I do object to Smogg’s use of elaborate politeness to mask some seriously reactionary views. BTW there is more information on the family’s rise from the yeomanry to the minor gentry in Down and Warrington’s History of the Somerset Coalfield.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure you can have elaborate politeness. It's usually just passive aggression.

I should know, I use it all the time. For example: "No wonder the poor fellow is so socially insecure. I gather his father was a journalist ..."

------------------------

(Edit: my apologies to any journalists reading this, obvs. Yes, even the ones in the MSM.)

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m never surprised that people of his ilk delude themselves that they have a God-given right to Lord-it over the rest of us, but I am constantly astounded that so many people collude in that by fawning to them.

Especially across the pond!

Jim

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

An 'Old Etonian' once told me that they are taught that they are superior to the rest of humanity. I go with the Bible - we are all created equal. It's what you do with your talents that count not who your parents were.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

An 'Old Etonian' once told me that they are taught that they are superior to the rest of humanity.

Given what was written during his sixth form years at Eaton about Boris’s flagrant disregard for rules, and a belief that they only applied to other people, then that gets very scary, very quickly.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've only known one old Etonian, when we were both at university

I knew two when I was at Durham - one was an affable Johnson-esque  libertarian / anarcho-capitalist whose redeeming feature was his Jimi Hendrix style guitar playing and the other was an unkempt troglodyte who lived in abject squalor in a hovel with no cutlery, furniture, etc. One very much had the impression that the rules did not apply to them.

A good friend is an OE, but, yes, I've certainly come across the opposing extremes of all denim radical rocker OE and, well, something more Moggian, and my friend felt these were common enough types produced by, or reacting to, that school.  I do not judge or condemn on an institutional-wide basis.  As ever, one finds both good and bad, as in every walk of life.  . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I've only known one old Etonian, when we were both at university. He was a quiet, unassuming, pleasant person. He was, like me, studying physics, which probably makes all the difference.

Ah, I see the Two Cultures are alive and well...

• Like 2