Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Have you seen them marching down the royal mile from the Edinburgh tattoo?... They have securicor or the like guarding the troops...

In the event of an anti-military riot, it wouldn't do to have the army firing on civilians (I imagine their weapons are unloaded anyway) - far better to have the private contractors doing the dirty work.

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Bit like UK troops in  hi viz camo?

image.png.95792b8336d90af54f40bba754af29e0.png

At some point in the '90s, the UK extended its Health & safety legislation to the armed forces, with many absurd results. 

Like the bright yellow 'aiming mark' on the night sight cover of my little tank.

Sabre.jpg.43696f1efbcc26ee9f731c0a2cd34a9b.jpg

I have no patience for this kind of thing.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm reminded of Spike Milligan's reply as to why he refused to wear a uniform and appeared on parade in his underwear - "I'm not wearing that uniform, sir, it's too dangerous - the enemy will shoot at me if they see me wearing it"

Edited by CKPR
  • Funny 8

19 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In the news today...

Well, he said he'd be back....

Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg.6785263d31416d6175f29ace09b57f96.jpg

He now has a new target ....

president-donald-trump-2020-campaign-01.jpg.54960f6bc1c01e8212e62ed91cdd622d.jpg

Hopefully history does not repeat itself in regard as to where that other famous American traitor, Benedict Arnold, ended up living in Exile.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rocor said:

Hopefully history does not repeat itself in regard as to where that other famous American traitor, Benedict Arnold, ended up living in Exile.

Arnold defected to the British side so there was some logic to that.  The Orange One has only ever been on his own side so perhaps that suggests he will exile himself to one of his golf courses.  Anyone in Scotland feeling nervous?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

15 hours ago, Regularity said:

Haven’t  you seen some of the discussions on this forum? ;)

At least so far we have been able to retrain ourselves from having a "discussion" on the subject of tension hook couplings. :fie:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Have you seen them marching down the royal mile from the Edinburgh tattoo?... They have securicor or the like guarding the troops...

The troops will also usually be playing the bagpipes loudly, and not touched by the police. Whereas a lone piper is liable to be arrested for disturbing the peace.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me of a Beecham story. Sir Thomas was approached by a lady who wanted his advice on an instrument for her child to learn, that would not be too painful to listen to in the early stages. Without hesitation he replied "The bagpipes, madam. They sound exactly the same when you have finished learning them as when you start."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

I am restraining myself from reacting to the outrageous slurs on our national instrument. 

As to the orange one, as our FM has said publicly on the matter it is currently illegal to travel in or out of Scotland except for essential purposes. I doubt he would be granted asylum. 

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I am restraining myself from reacting to the outrageous slurs on our national instrument. 

As to the orange one, as our FM has said publicly on the matter it is currently illegal to travel in or out of Scotland except for essential purposes. I doubt he would be granted asylum. 

Jim

The bagpipes and their history

Invented by the ancient Greeks

who gave them to the Romans

who gave them to the French Celts (Bretons)

who passed them on to the Irish

who gave them to the Northumbrians

who passed them northwards to the Scots

The Scots still have not seen the joke.

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, LimboBrit said:

Does Scotland have an extradition treaty with the not so United States?

That's not a devolved matter.  He could, I suppose declare UDI for Turnberry and then he could do as he liked (as he does anyway).  I heard a story that he was proposing to fly to Prestwick on the 19th, but permission to land was refused.

Jim

• Like 1

The use of "martial music" in circumstances like that is, to me anyway, a terribly chilling thing.

I remember hearing a D-Day veteran talking about how loudspeakers were rigged-up on the landing-craft and beaches, belting out Glen Miller at top volume (didn't they portray it is 'Saving Private Ryan'?), and how he waded chest-deep through water that he thought was full of heavy seaweed, until it got shallow, and he realised that it was the mashed bodies of the previous wave of troops.

As I said, chilling.

4 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

That's not a devolved matter.  He could, I suppose declare UDI for Turnberry and then he could do as he liked (as he does anyway).  I heard a story that he was proposing to fly to Prestwick on the 19th, but permission to land was refused.

Prestwick was (allegedly) used by the US military as a transit stop for Extraordinary Rendition flights to the USA. This could be an extraordinary-Extraordinary Rendition flight from the USA. Assuming some other country was willing to be the end-destination?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition#Extraordinary_renditions_and_black_sites_in_Europe

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mind you, I saw reports of "rendition flights" in the Newspapers complete with "cages" in the back of US forces exec jets...

It was the routine US military mail flight and the cages, were the cargo netting seen through a window in the back.. I saw enough of them...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

The bagpipes and their history

Invented by the ancient Greeks

who gave them to the Romans

who gave them to the French Celts (Bretons)

who passed them on to the Irish

who gave them to the Northumbrians

who passed them northwards to the Scots

The Scots still have not seen the joke.

Was it just the Scots who had the drones added (I know that the Northumbrian pipes are without them).

Can't think what made me think of that question.

2 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

Does Scotland have an extradition treaty with the not so United States?

The not so United Kingdom does have a treaty with the not so United States. There is a question over quid pro quo at the moment though.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, wagonman said:

On the other hand...

I am always fascinated by someone playing a music instrument in a manner that allows it to sound like nothing that it should be expected to. 

• Agree 1