Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I am restraining myself from reacting to the outrageous slurs on our national instrument. 

As to the orange one, as our FM has said publicly on the matter it is currently illegal to travel in or out of Scotland except for essential purposes. I doubt he would be granted asylum. 

Jim

As Sean Connery remarked in The Longest Day, it takes an Irishman to play the pipes!

If Donald Trump was thinking to make a break for exile in the UK aboard his private jet, he should bear in mind the fate of  Lin Biao. Those F22 aircraft are reputed to be highly capable.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Search out Robin Guthrie, former guitarist for "The Cocteau Twins".

I had heard of the Cocteau Twins, but not heard any of their music. I have now listened to the single Heaven or Las Vagas,  also to a section of the Robin Guhrie album Bordeaux. I think that I shall be giving an ear to both of these in the future. 

2 hours ago, rocor said:

I am always fascinated by someone playing a music instrument in a manner that allows it to sound like nothing that it should be expected to. 

you mean like this?

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, wearing the killiebeg (short kilt), invented by an Englishman.

Mind you, if you want guitars to sound like bagpipes, there was always "Big Country" (e-bow plus echo/delay processing units):

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That reminds me of a Beecham story. Sir Thomas was approached by a lady who wanted his advice on an instrument for her child to learn, that would not be too painful to listen to in the early stages. Without hesitation he replied "The bagpipes, madam. They sound exactly the same when you have finished learning them as when you start."

We have a member of the RAAF pipe band at work, who has permission to practice Wednesday lunchtimes as below.

Untitled.jpg.99179f822c6a3256a04f6a872074b552.jpg

• Funny 8

4 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

you mean like this?

Jim

I must admit, I rather admired their highland schottische!

59 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Aye, ye cannae beat Auld Scots music.

And, of course ....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Oddly enough we haven't had "I did it My Way" at a funeral (I work at a funeral directors) probably since before the first lockdown and it used to be the most popular song at a funeral. I still think "Bat out of Hell" was the most inappropriate one we have had. Although saying that I do like  Glorious Day which includes the line "I ran out of the Grave"  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DLfzpfqrPUDo&ved=2ahUKEwjv-KLOspfuAhUChlwKHW5PAYwQyCkwAnoECAMQAw&usg=AOvVaw2qDILf_o5r8aJoCMxGPgh7

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, Northroader said:

And that was at funerals.

Church socials, actually.  He and his wife, a trained opera signer, used to go out and do musical evenings for groups.  Brilliant they were!    Although he is an excellent keyboard player he couldn't get the hang of the accordion.  Said he could  have played it if you laid it down flat!   Unfortunately they moved back down to the South coast to be near their family.  :(

Jim

• Like 2

13 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Oddly enough we haven't had "I did it My Way" at a funeral (I work at a funeral directors) probably since before the first lockdown and it used to be the most popular song at a funeral. I still think "Bat out of Hell" was the most inappropriate one we have had. Although saying that I do like  Glorious Day which includes the line "I ran out of the Grave"  

I'm rather tempted by the thought of having Arthur Brown's 'Fire' played at mine...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, wagonman said:

I'm rather tempted by the thought of having Arthur Brown's 'Fire' played at mine...

Presumably you intend to be cremated, or buried in a volcano?

• Funny 1