Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

A fourth thing in common: deep distrust of the Russians, and the Germans come to that.

I read Norman Davies’ “Europe” about 20 years ago. It’s a monumental work, but left me with an impression of Poland as a rather civilised and tolerant nation (on its own, snd in conjunction with Lithuania), on the border of two aggressive “nations”, Prussia and Russia, and was unfortunately stuck between them after the former expanded westward and then, bit by bit, took control of “Holy Roman Empire”.

In fact, the only constants in the last 1,500 years seemed to be Muscovite (not necessarily Russian) and Teutonic (not necessarily German) expansionism, with occasional breathing spaces. Everything else ebbed and flowed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

38 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Personally speaking, I have found them to be honest, hard-working, helpful and friendly, and can’t see why anyone would complain.

+1

They also have a better memory than most Brits of the British & Polish relationship 80 years ago. (Enigma, Squadrons 302 & 303, etc)

https://www.britishpoles.uk/how-the-polish-mathematicians-deciphered-and-handed-over-the-enigma-code-to-french-and-british-allies/

https://www.rafbf.org/news-and-blogs/unsurpassed-gallantry-302-and-303-squadron

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Then there’s the other three qualities the English share with the Poles:

We drink a lot, eat a lot of meat, and don’t want to be in Poland...

There was a joke going round not long after Poland joined the EU:

What's the difference between things now and during the war?

In the war, the populace was in Warsaw but the government was in London; now, the government is in Warsaw but the populace is in London.

31 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I read Norman Davies’ “Europe” about 20 years ago. It’s a monumental work,

It is a splendid book although it is rather pro-Polish; Davies' wife is Polish. Likewise his The Isles is written from the viewpoint of a Welshman! If you haven't read it, his Microcosm: Portrait of a Central European City is worth a go: a history of the city currently known as Wroclaw, which has changed rulers and names more than many places. It has a particular appeal here as it's the nearest city to the town where Lexi taught English to trainee language teachers for the two years before we married. Superb railway station with an excellent ice-cream parlour (or was nearly 30 years ago) but thereby hangs another tale...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

rather pro-Polish; Davies' wife is Polish. Likewise his The Isles is written from the viewpoint of a Welshman!

Yes, I got that, but he doesn’t hide the facts, and overall it was the ever-looming growth of Muscovy and Prussia which stuck in my mind. Ambitious, yes. Hurried? Not at all.

• Like 1

Going back to G&S.......

In an AM-Dram production of "Iolanthe",  my wife playing the Queen of the Fairies, had the line "I see no objection to stoutness in moderation" ,  she was 6 months pregnant at the time!  

Edited by DonB
context
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig likes it!

1060745690_misspiggy.jpg.bebe41e7662bdf099a8a2fd8b5af7410.jpg

Edited by ian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Kermit after an encounter with Miss Piggy?

The “joke” is usually slightly more, <ahem> “intimate” than that, but I think we will leave it unsaid, although pork sausages do come to mind...

13 hours ago, Regularity said:

The “joke” is usually slightly more, <ahem> “intimate” than that, but I think we will leave it unsaid, although pork sausages do come to mind...

Due to characterisation of the entities involved, I can envisage Miss Piggy being the one in possession of the sausage.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, rocor said:

Due to characterisation of the entities involved, I can envisage Miss Piggy being the one in possession of the sausage.

Given the nature of the relationship, it was in joint use, if not joint ownership.

Unless she is also known as “Miss Peggy”...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

It's a discussion amongst pre-Grouping enthusiasts - folk who take the longer view of railway history. Move it to wheeltappers and we'd have any old diseasel-loving kettle-bashing types muscling in - the sort who can't put Brexit in the context of Parnell's downfall or Universal Credit in the context of Lloyd George's people's budget.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4