Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I dip into this topic from time to time and would now be grateful if someone can tell me what it has to with pre-group modelling. Shouldn't it be in the Wheeltappers section?

Jol

It is possible you have mixed tis thread up with this one

Now what has happened there?

I am trying to link to the Castle Aching thread and it won't link.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I dip into this topic from time to time and would now be grateful if someone can tell me what it has to with pre-group modelling. Shouldn't it be in the Wheeltappers section?

Jol

It is possible you have mixed tis thread up with this one

And then there it is.  Looks like my more than flaky internet connection might be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, many thanks, Andy

So, Jol,

Castle Aching for railway matters concerning, and (often wildly) diverging from, the layout, the WNR, or the fair land of West Norfolk; I like to think of this as a sort of virtual day centre for the elderly and bewildered amongst us (me the second and increasingly feeling the first)

Proceedings is more the Wheeltappers section; I like to think of it as the place for the sort of profound insights that come only in the midst of a determined session at your local .... They still make more sense than anything that has actually happened in the world over the last five years.

It is, I confess, a narrow distinction at times, but, in these times of binary thinking and polarised positions, a little but of nuance does you good.

And it hardly matters, because you can be grumpy or off-topic (or both) in either! 

And now, a picture of a duck .....

mallard1-59511cd33df78cae81214312.jpg.8cffc2f47f890faf720eb78ec822cec2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

And now, a picture of a duck .....

James, I do hope that you are not insinuating that we are all quackers!  :nono:    Though that may, at times, be doubtful.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Rules?  Rules?

Well, if you must, but nothing so easy to follow as, say, those of Mornington Crescent.

Something more infinitely ineffable like, say, the English lock-down rules. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

Just now, Compound2632 said:

But of course you must allow the exemptions for people in vulnerable categories, such as cabinet ministers.

And optically challenged special advisors.

My Barnard Castle opticians have sent me a message to say I can go in to collect my new prescription.  That's if I can still see well enough to get there, of course.

Well, there's only one way to find out!   

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yes designer of the kit is a RMweb member;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93799-lnwr-crane-tank-and-shunting-engine-kit/

The topic covers both the LNWR 0-4-0T and the 0-4-2T Crane Tank. The former kit is in production but not yet the Crane Tank. There have been some issues with the kit producer's website so the new kit hasn't yet appeared on it but should do so soon.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Yes designer of the kit is a RMweb member;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93799-lnwr-crane-tank-and-shunting-engine-kit/

The topic covers both the LNWR 0-4-0T and the 0-4-2T Crane Tank. The former kit is in production but not yet the Crane Tank. There have been some issues with the kit producers website so the mew kit hasn't yet appeared on it but should do so soon.

I see it does actually get a mention under New Products:

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/new-products/

along with the tantalising sentence:

"We are developing a number of new wagon kits MR LNWR and Private owner."

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

I see it does actually get a mention under New Products:

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/new-products/

along with the tantalising sentence:

"We are developing a number of new wagon kits MR LNWR and Private owner."

I's been in New Products for a while although John at LRM hasn't been able to add any new sections to the product pages, but that is being resolved at present. Wordpress deleted some "Themes" that included the one the LRM site used. The site is hosted by the S4 Society, as service they have offered to members so the new  S4 Webmaster is assisting with sorting it out.

I know about one new LNWR wagon kit as I have partly been involved in designing that. There is a tank wagon simmering away (I don't have any other details) but I don't know what else.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

but I don't know what else.

Here's my wishlist:

Midland:

D351 (the third most numerous type of Midland wagon)

D343

D336

D306/D307

D388 (dumb buffer)

D389 (dumb buffer)

D353

D382 (which with minor variations can be D365 and S&DJR road van)

D372

D293/D294

D298 Drg. 1037

LNW:

D21/D22

D46

D53

D64

PO:

Any RCH 1887 specification wagon from a builder other than Gloucester

Any pre-1887 dumb buffered wagon

I've only listed diagrams for which there is to my knowledge no currently-available kit, barring a couple that are available in long-in-the-tooth whitemetal versions.

If anyone needs help or prodding with the Midland wagons, I'm here...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

As this thread is actually about pre-group modelling

No, this particular thread is not about modelling: it has already been explained (see the first post) that this thread for the Castle Aching Paraish Council to entertain its digressions, without interfering with the modelling threads elsewhere in this area/sub-forum:

Following on from the comments regarding political discussions in the Parish of Castle Aching, I propose that such discussions are hereafter moved to this Hall where they may be undertaken without interfering in the normal running of the parish.

It is not my place, perhaps it is not even the place of the Parish Council as a whole, and indeed it is probably counter-intuitive and unnecessary to lay down specific rules for these discussions besides those unwritten rules of reason and decency that have prevailed thus far.

No one, I repeat that, no one, has prevented you from creating a new thread to discuss any pre-grouping modelling topic you may wish to create. If you were to do so, you would be perfectly within expected bounds of behaviour to object to digressions away from the purpose of the thread, as it would be "your" topic: as the originator, you would be making clear the purpose and intent of the thread, and could take the unusual and courteous step of requesting that posts be kept tightly on-topic, rather than rudely hi-jacking a thread intended for other purposes to promote your own agenda.

You can chose to ignore this topic, or indeed posts from individual members should you so wish: no one else will know, but you won't then need to complain about content you don't personally enjoy, even if the rest of us who join in, do.

• Agree 2

Stephen, 

I would suggest that Bill Bedford/Mousa Models is the man to talk to. Bill 3D prints his kits so small production runs are possible. LRM kits are mainly etched (from other absorbed ranges), white metal/etched or resin/etched. The LNWR D14 is an example of the former while resin has been used on the D12. These are for LRM designed kits, so resin would probably be the way forward as simple wagons can be produced from simple plasticard patterns. How well that would work from a 5 plank wagon I don't know though.

D14 kit and assembled wagon.

1603016051_LNWDWD14timberwagon.jpg.01af5fa5ccab5541314948e249d98aeb.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

No, this particular thread is not about modelling: it has already been explained (see the first post) that this thread for the Castle Aching Paraish Council to entertain its digressions, without interfering with the modelling threads elsewhere in this area/sub-forum:

No one, I repeat that, no one, has prevented you from creating a new thread to discuss any pre-grouping modelling topic you may wish to create. If you were to do so, you would be perfectly within expected bounds of behaviour to object to digressions away from the purpose of the thread, as it would be "your" topic: as the originator, you would be making clear the purpose and intent of the thread, and could take the unusual and courteous step of requesting that posts be kept tightly on-topic, rather than rudely hi-jacking a thread intended for other purposes to promote your own agenda.

You can chose to ignore this topic, or indeed posts from individual members should you so wish: no one else will know, but you won't then need to complain about content you don't personally enjoy, even if the rest of us who join in, do.

My comment was simply based upon the fact that this thread appears within the "Pre-Grouping - Modelling & Prototype" section of RMweb, but on the occasions recently when I have dipped into it, as a pre-group modeller, I saw nothing which reflected that heading. I thought that, as such a wide ranging discussion, but apparently not pre-group or prototype as far as I could see, it might be better placed in Wheeltappers where it might attract more followers.

However, as I have apparently upset your sensibilities, I shall withdraw totally and leave you to discuss ducks and whatever else takes your fancy.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My comment was simply based upon the fact that this thread appears within the "Pre-Grouping - Modelling & Prototype" section of RMweb, but on the occasions recently when I have dipped into it, as a pre-group modeller, I saw nothing which reflected that heading. I thought that, as such a wide ranging discussion, but apparently not pre-group or prototype as far as I could see, it might be better placed in Wheeltappers where it might attract more followers.

However, as I have apparently upset your sensibilities, I shall withdraw totally and leave you to discuss ducks and whatever else takes your fancy.

As I said, you have mistaken a particular thread for a general area, when the thread started off clearly stating what it was for: personally I avoid wheeltappers, and enjoy the gentle bucolic parochialism in this topic.

If your criticism is of the pre-grouping section as a whole, which is possibly what you meant, then you may have a point, but that would require a posting in the relevant thread, such as the one about why we have this area on the forum.

1887898272_Screenshot2021-01-18at12_13_15.png.40c661f7c61c305033b9144937c7d48d.png

My sensibilities are unaffected, but I am not sure whether to be amused at your pomposity or bemused by you posting in the wrong topic, and then flouncing off when it is pointed out to you.

Obviously we are too trivial for you, and not worth the effort of posting in the right place. Whatever, we enjoy the chat, and we enjoy the modelling, of which more goes on than occasionally dipping in light suggest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that Bill Bedford/Mousa Models is the man to talk to.

He knows.

I did discuss the Midland timber trucks with John R. at Scaleforum about three years ago last May; we talked about plasticard masters but I'm afraid I've not (yet) done anything about it. I think you were there.

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

where it might attract more followers.

I think the point is to avoid that SFAIRP.

Ive got a potentially controversial thread on the go in wheeltappers, and 95% of the time it remains civilised, but very occasionally someone will burst in and throw hand-grenades about just for fun ..... too much of that kills conversation very quickly. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I think the point is to avoid that SFAIRP.

Ive got a potentially controversial thread on the go in wheeltappers, and 95% of the time it remains civilised, but very occasionally someone will burst in and throw hand-grenades about just for fun ..... too much of that kills conversation very quickly. 

I agree wholeheartedly, and don’t like someone who by his own admission pops in just once in a while telling me how and what to post, at least, not within a specific thread.

By reducing this to the level of standing of a parochial council for a fictional village circa 115 years ago, I think it is clear that we are not taking this too seriously, no matter how appalled at “the Donald” or Boris we may be.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3