Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Now, I personally think that Aus could really, hugely benefit from a dose of that chap, on a ‘fair exchange is no robbery’ basis, so suggest that we raise a subscription fund to send him there, forever.

For one happy moment I thought he had found a home overseas, but, if this were to be an exchange programme, I'd hate to see what we might get in return.

2048.jpg.d713abd558a368ee37bbc681eea922c7.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Enough already, I followed that link and it brought back less than happy memories:wacko:. Of course you'd have to include all the readers (okay I know most of them only look at the pictures) of "The National Enquirer", the literary equivalent of the Sport paper. I'm sure we could find a deserted island somewhere to send them all to, failing that we could use the Douglas Adams solution and fire them off somewhere in a space craft:jester:. Yes I do think lockdown is getting to me:blink:.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2021 at 11:57, Edwardian said:

Don't you worry, we are perfectly capable of producing equally egregious twerps ....

Wow! That's the first time I've seen 'egregious' used since I learnt the word 48 years ago at school (Shakespeare's Henry V).

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, DIW said:

Wow! That's the first time I've seen 'egregious' used since I learnt the word 48 years ago at school (Shakespeare's Henry V).

Obviously you didn't watch "The League of Gentlemen" (BBCTV version).

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, DIW said:

I use egregious often - if only for the pleasure of making someone I've just insulted go running for a dictionary.

It's sadistic I know, but a good insult must be as painful as possible for the recipient. :diablo_mini: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

47 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

From Latin, root meaning "standing out from the flock".

And a really good insult does stand out from the crowd.

Let's face any fool can say "and so's your dad" but a true master can flay the skin from the living flesh. That is my sole aim when insulting anyone - hey, I might be petty but I'm a perfectionist as well.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

And a really good insult does stand out from the crowd.

I've just started reading The Mill on the Floss for the first time, so apologies to all those for whom this is old hat: Tulliver senior is anxious for Tom to have a good education so that he will know "how to wrap things up in words as aren't actionable. It's an uncommon fine thing, that is, when you can let a man know what you think of him without paying for it."

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Let's face any fool can say "and so's your dad" but a true master can flay the skin from the living flesh.

Ah. Frankie Boyle on the playground benefits of having a (hypothetical) gay dad:

"Your dad can batter my dad? Well, my dad can **** your dad, and what's more, your dad will enjoy it!"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

We just call these characters like DJT and NF 'right eejits'!  And that Greene lassie that's a senator is another one!

Jim

The problem is that this eejitcy is becoming more and more main stream.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rocor said:

The problem is that this eejitcy is becoming more and more main stream.

I have long held the belief that the quantity of intelligence available to the human race is a fixed amount. The population is increasing...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ian said:

I have long held the belief that the quantity of intelligence available to the human race is a fixed amount. The population is increasing...

IQ = intelligence quotient.

Quotient = the result of division; the number of times one quantity is contained in another.

So you may well be right.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, ian said:

I have long held the belief that the quantity of intelligence available to the human race is a fixed amount.

I, on the other hand, tend to the belief that the proportion of eejits in the population has remained constant, at a fairly high level, and that the thing that has changed is the speed and efficiency of communication, so that now eejits can make themselves heard/seen much more easily and quickly than in the past.

If you went into any pub throughout history, and listened to the conversation in "fly-on-the wall" mode, you would have heard exactly the same sort of variously bigoted and bonkers nonsense, and the same occasional insights and flashes of wit, and the same petty squabbles getting out of hand, as you can now enjoy from the comfort of your home courtesy of electronic media. And, really self-important eejits aren't reliant upon a few newspaper editors to promulgate their message, they can pump it for all their wort through channels that don't have editors, and pretend that they aren't publishers, even though they manifestly are.

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

And, really self-important eejits aren't reliant upon a few newspaper editors to promulgate their message, they can pump it for all their wort through channels that don't have editors, and pretend that they aren't publishers, even though they manifestly are.

I could name a few on RMWeb!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1