Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, rocor said:

Would the local railway company then be, The Great Northern and Southern Railway. The locomotive superintendent of, not being able to make his mind up if the livery of the engines should be brown or green.

14 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Do blue and black not come into the decision making process then?  Or does that make it too complicated for him?   :jester:

Jim

Was it perhaps a reference to a certain film, featuring a lady well regarded in these pages?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Was it perhaps a reference to a certain film, featuring a lady well regarded in these pages?

Wait. Hilda has been in films?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Wait. Hilda has been in films?

Calm down, calm down. The lady in question has been in films where she's been more exposed than Hilda but not in the film in question, although her removal of her undergarments is key to the plot.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/03/2021 at 15:49, Regularity said:

People from Berkshire and Oxfordshire also sound "West Country" to other ears, although more and more of the country sounds like Eastenders.

Ah, the ineluctable spread of Estuary English...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I note that Hornby are to produce a model of "Lion" in the near future, perhaps it could make an appearance as an archaic WNR relic?

??

spacer.png

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

See WNR's old No.8

and .....

1572057414_IMG_1362-Copy.JPG.8f38c06aac25a857cb65abbeb80e838e.jpg.78af3c8a01f3315ebad5ff2395f04888.jpg

Time for an upgrade!

I'd completely forgotten!

Your current old No.8 is probably more robust than whatever Hornby might produce, given the fragility of "Rocket", it'd be a tradeoff between fineness of detail and usability.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Time for an upgrade!

Surely when it comes to historic relics, the older the better ? So presumably any 'upgrade' would be from the new Hornby 'Lion' to the old K's  'Lion' ?!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Why replace something you've had the pleasure of making yourself with a mass-produced bought item?

Because, sometimes, the mass-produced item works better and looks better on the layout. I'm happy with my Kitbuilt London Underground stock, but if decent RTR equivalents were to be produced at a price I could afford then I'd replace them because my Kitbuilt ones don't work terribly well and by the time I've upgraded them the cost will likely be equivalent to the RTR purchase.

Not saying that this is the case with James' lovely rendition of Lion, mind.

• Like 2

The brisk weather we have been having has reminded me of this, some modern verse for the Parish Council!

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rails, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

John Masefield, Cargoes,  1902

Edited by Hroth
Ruddy spelin, all in one sentence...
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rails, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

John Masefield, Cargoes,  1902

What Masefield seems to overlook is that there were always vessels of this class, with cargoes of this sort. It wasn't all quinquiremes and miodores back in the day. Anyway, was the Tigris navigable to quinquiremes? 

But Masefield was a man of modest needs: "All I want is a tall ship..."

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Anyway, was the Tigris navigable to quinquiremes? 

In modern times the quinquiremes may experience some navigation difficulties around Basra, due to all the ship wrecks within the waterways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did hear on the news that two people may be permitted to meet in an open space. 

But which two? Does the first person picked have any say on who the second person is?

For myself, I've said to the supply agency I use that at the moment I'm not available for work until I'm fully vaccinated but am seeing how the situation develops. I'm very much more fortunate than full time teachers or the majority of supply teachers in being able to take this stance.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2