Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

36 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I'm a lawyer. Does that answer your question?

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

191350009.jpg

And that, sir, could be construed as sharp practice!!

Jim ( who has often wielded a scalpel for its intended purpose)

• Funny 3

43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I'm a lawyer. Does that answer your question?

That would also be the answer to the question "Are you a lawyer?". If though the question was "Can you one hundred percent guarantee to get me out of the legal mess that I have got myself into?", that answer would leave the question less than totally acknowledged.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

A sovereign contains 7.325 g of gold, so at current gold prices, it is worth £38.60 as bullion. A quarter sovereign must therefore be worth £9.65 as bullion. I suppose the balance of £89.35 represents such factors as its artistic value and rarity along with other intangibles such as purchaser credulity.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

According to the Royal Mint site, gold is trading at £1325/Troy ounce, approx £42/g. Of course thats what you'd have to pay out, not what you'd get when trying to sell...  But that means a whole sovereign would be worth around £307.  If the advertised quarter sov was actually a quarter in weight, then it would contain £77 in gold, still a bit of a marketing markup!

The Quarter Sov is actually a Royal Mint coin and legal tender, with a face value of 25p, though you'd be rather mad to try and use it as loose change!  When I saw the adverts, I thought it was one of those dodgy coins which were only legal tender in Gurnsey or Gibralter.

I blundered somewhere...

20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I blundered somewhere...

The conversation between Col. Kenneth D. Nichols and Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, Daniel W. Bell regarding obtaining silver for the engineering of the Manhattan Project.

“He explained the procedure for transferring the silver and asked, ‘How much do you need?’ I replied, ‘Six thousand tons.’ ‘How many troy ounces is that?’ he asked. In fact I did not know how to convert tons to troy ounces, and neither did he. A little impatient, I responded, “I don’t know how many troy ounces we need but I know I need six thousand tons – that is a definite quantity. What difference does it make how we express the quantity?’ He replied rather indignantly, ‘Young man, you may think of silver in tons, but the Treasury will always think of silver in troy ounces.’”

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Jim ( who has often wielded a scalpel for its intended purpose)

Just so long as you have never seen someone attempt to set the blade in place by resting the pointy end against their sternum.  Luckily they didn't press hard, so the initial pricking caused them to desist promptly...

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Just so long as you have never seen someone attempt to set the blade in place by resting the pointy end against their sternum.  Luckily they didn't press hard, so the initial pricking caused them to desist promptly...

He wouldn't do much to push in the blade until he was through to bone!!  Especially if it was a No.11 blade!

Jim

Not sure whether you already had it in mind, but that passage goes on in a very apposite way.

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me. There was a padlock and chain upon the gate. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

Not so much a place, as the  names of Ms Rudd’s ex-partners... 

Don't go there ... no, wait, that's Amberlist ... except you can go there.

With George Useless saying it's fine to go to Amberlist to see friends and relations and Bozza saying we should certainly not do so, we have another outbreak of the endemic Covid mixed messaging with which HMG is infected.

We've been here before, as I recall ....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Me thinks, as usual with politicians of all parties there are those in the background that will never follow the official line.. They are always maneuvering trying to be the next leader, stabbing the current one in the back...

• Agree 2

Why is there even a place called Amberlist?  - isnt "green"  (these places are safe except they wont let you in")  and red - ( "No you can't")  is enough - what is the point of  a "yes you can but please don't" list?

• Agree 6

6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Me thinks, as usual with politicians of all parties there are those in the background that will never follow the official line.. They are always maneuvering trying to be the next leader, stabbing the current one in the back...

Or stabbing the leader in the front, or stabbing themselves; there is, of course, always the danger of elevating disorganisation and incompetence to the level of Machiavellian plan! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Or stabbing the leader in the front, or stabbing themselves; there is, of course, always the danger of elevating disorganisation and incompetence to the level of Machiavellian plan! 

You can't trust any of the bu@@ers...

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Why is there even a place called Amberlist?  - isnt "green"  (these places are safe except they wont let you in")  and red - ( "No you can't")  is enough - what is the point of  a "yes you can but please don't" list?

As the Famous Five cycled along through the verdant countryside, they came upon an obscure village, with morris dancers disporting themselves on the village green.  As they paused to watch, George noticed a sign with the name of the village. "Amberlist Green", she read....

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Don't go there ... no, wait, that's Amberlist ... except you can go there.

With George Useless saying it's fine to go to Amberlist to see friends and relations and Bozza saying we should certainly not do so, we have another outbreak of the endemic Covid mixed messaging with which HMG is infected.

We've been here before, as I recall ....

Surely Useless Eustace is a cartoon character.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2