Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Someone once described the Republican Tea Party movement as "UKIP with guns"

If we could get them to form a circular firing squad, that might have some useful merit...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

21 hours ago, Regularity said:

If we could get them to form a circular firing squad, that might have some useful merit...

No prizes for guessing who should be in the centre!

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

I'll let you into a secret:

For years, I had a long-running serial bedtime story, initially for my son, latterly for youngest daughter, which revolved around the adventures of "King Rat of the Moon", based heavily on BJ, and "The Old Majick Squirrel", based on Sir Peter Hendy.

In brief, King Rat is a benignly dim and incredibly lazy character, who grew-up as an ordinary London rat, with delusions of grandeur, believing himself to be a king by rights. He found that the only place that didn't already have a royal dynasty, and wasn't a republic, was the moon, so settled there, in the castle abandoned by the giant of "Jack and the Beanstalk" fame, to rule over that otherwise deserted satellite. The squirrel is the clever one, a sort of alchemist, who does all the practical work and saves the day when the rat creates untold havoc with his blunders

There are lots of other characters, including a stereotypically Aussie koala, but no rabbits, I'm afraid.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You should publish those stories, Kevin, I think you’d be the next J K Rowling.

What a dead-eyed transphobic troll?

But, yes, I was rather thinking how engaging and original that scenario was and how children's literature was rather missing out on Kevin's imagination.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

As a sneak preview of my upcoming wheeltappers thread "For those interested in rabbits that look like  politicians" here's Boris Johnson.

image.png.fe3a6a604cbaf664fef7284980efb640.png

Won't do, its  too good looking!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Had to share with parishioners this wonderful phrase, heard just now on R4, I think quoting the Washington Post's description of a certain D Trump's social media outpourings as "a sousaphone of lies''.

So, Good Morning West Norfolk!

(you may wish to turn your volume UP!)i

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

If I was a descendant of J.P. Sousa or J.W. Pepper I would be suing for defamation.

Well, the thing is, the descendant hasn't been libelled and it is trite law that one cannot slander the dead.

There was a case brought by descendants on behalf of Vlad the Impaler, fed up of all this vampire slander. It failed, thus we now know that, additionally, one cannot slander the undead.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, the thing is, the descendant hasn't been libelled and it is trite law that one cannot slander the dead.

I thought it was a moral imperative rather than a legal impossibility to speak ill of the dead but I suppose I knew the paper would get off on a mere technicality*. But perhaps it's just as well, since I'm sure there are many things Tsar Ivan IV was actually quite good at, whilst yet another airing of the ways in which his successor the Empress Catherine was great would be at least unedifying, if not harmful to public morals.

*As readers of Pratchett know, being dead is a mere technicality.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Especially, of course, in my learned profession.

Now I come to think of it, according to J.K. Rowling, also in mine.

So the fact that I'm still posting arcane information about the Midland Railway is no proof of my continued viability. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Empress Catherine was great would be at least unedifying, if not harmful to public morals.

Wasn't she famous for paying her ex-lovers huge pensions? Sounds quite progressive, in its own way. Or, maybe simply the price of discretion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Wasn't she famous for paying her ex-lovers huge pensions? Sounds quite progressive, in its own way. Or, maybe simply the price of discretion.

Nice work if you can get it

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Had to share with parishioners this wonderful phrase, heard just now on R4, I think quoting the Washington Post's description of a certain D Trump's social media outpourings as "a sousaphone of lies''.

...provides the perfect accompaniment for   right wing loonies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

21 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Certainly preferable to the fate of old cart horses that were no longer up to it, of being sent to the knacker man to be rendered down as glue and other by-products.

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

...provides the perfect accompaniment for   right wing loonies.

Is that piece of music entitled "The march of the morons"?.

• Funny 2