Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

1 hour ago, wagonman said:

The affair does raise a few interesting questions such as:

1. the photo was reputedly taken on 9 May so who has been sitting on it since – the Sun or the whistleblower – and why?

2. who put a CCTV camera in the Minister's office (assuming that is where it is) without his knowledge?

3. how did Door Matt get the job in the first place?

4. is Gina now totally screwed? She will probably lose her government sinecure but her main job is with the fashion house owned by...her husband.

I did hear-tell it was a security camera on a building outside of the one where the hankus pankus went on?  They were pictogrammed though the window?

Mr Matt got the job I suspect because there was no-one else, from either side of the house, the Lords, or the private sector who was up to the job?

[A case of, if complaining, who would have done the job better, without hindsight coming into play??]

I reckon the level of screwyness will depend on how much a divorce would actually cost the hubby? Or the business?

Dunno what the fuss is all about really? It's not as if this sort of thing doesn't go on left right & centre, in every walk of life, ....and has been since the year dot??  Least he hasn't been caught snorting cocaine? [yet]  

The biggest mistake is, getting caught.

Edited by alastairq

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Mr Matt got the job I suspect because there was no-one else, from either side of the house, the Lords, or the private sector who was up to the job?

[A case of, if complaining, who would have done the job better, without hindsight coming into play??]

I find it hard to believe that Door Matt was the best candidate for the job, except that Johnson was fishing in a very small pool – basically fanatical Brexiters too dumb/compromised to challenge him for his job. The obvious flaw in that argument is Gove, but I suspect we will be hearing more on him soon.

Dunno what the fuss is all about really? It's not as if this sort of thing doesn't go on left right & centre, in every walk of life, ....and has been since the year dot??  Least he hasn't been caught snorting cocaine? [yet]  

The biggest mistake is, getting caught.

Much of the media harrumphing is down to the brazen hypocrisy – Prof Ferguson was obliged to resign for meeting his girlfriend, both of them unmarried, but Handjob can smooch his 'Aide' – a lady appointed at his behest (though I have no doubt she is more than adequately qualified to do her job, unlike the Minister) – contrary to his own regulations without any come-back. Obviously Johnson can't criticise him though...

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, wagonman said:

I find it hard to believe that Door Matt was the best candidate for the job, except that Johnson was fishing in a very small pool – basically fanatical Brexiters too dumb/compromised to challenge him for his job. The obvious flaw in that argument is Gove, but I suspect we will be hearing more on him soon.

Much of the media harrumphing is down to the brazen hypocrisy – Prof Ferguson was obliged to resign for meeting his girlfriend, both of them unmarried, but Handjob can smooch his 'Aide' – a lady appointed at his behest (though I have no doubt she is more than adequately qualified to do her job, unlike the Minister) – contrary to his own regulations without any come-back. Obviously Johnson can't criticise him though...

My views on the events of June 2016 are well known.  The subsequent parliamentary paroxysms, and the consequent defenestration of all the grown ups left in the room, meant that the PM was very much leading the Second Eleven out to bat at the moment Covid struck. Well, at least, that was my view at the time and I tend to think that view has been confirmed.

One of the improprieties here is a non-executive (a neutral oversight position) acting de facto as an aide (a political partisan position). In terms of conflict of interest, the non-exec entering into intimate relations with the minister of whose department she has oversight makes the position even worse. That is probably the constitutional impropriety here.  The public has shown itself less interested than I suspect, in its own interests. it should be in constitutional impropriety, which has become a sort of ghastly norm for the Johnson government. 

One adds to that questions of the personal ethics and integrity of the minister in having an affair, though no one really seems to care about that anymore. While far from a prude, I do cleave to the view that conduct suggesting lack of personal integrity in one area of one's life does raise a question mark over one's wider ethics, which I consider pertinent in the case of those in positions of public trust. I'm just old fashioned that way.

That will not hang him, however, any more than the insider confirmation given by the Egregious Cummings of what most of us spotted from the outside in terms of HMG's performance over the pandemic: Hancock is "totally f-cking hopeless" at his job.

What might get him is what I heard described today as his "doing a Barnard Castle", potentially violating the letter, and certainly disregarding the spirit, of the law and breaching the guidelines he helped introduce and promote. Hancock's hypocrisy, having agreed that fellow adulterer Neil Ferguson must resign when Professor Pants-down's passions caused him to flout lock-down restrictions, adds particular piquancy.  

If this is the quality of minister democracy throws up these days, no wonder it's in decline.  I suspect it might be high time for some form of proportional representation.     

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

They also appear to be doing something on work premises that would be a disciplinary offence in most workplaces. 

Most employers ban that sort of conduct in the workplace, even if most now take a sensibly grown-up view of relationships between employees outside work, for the simple reason that, if the relationship goes sour the, employer can very easily get dragged into the resulting mess, typically for ‘failing to protect from harassment’. There are plenty of tribunal cases for constructive dismissal, and other things, caused by relationships turning sour.

I’d be fairly confident that if two civil servants were found similarly clinched, they’d at minimum get a good telling off (recorded verbal warning?).

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

If this is the quality of minister democracy throws up these days, no wonder it's in decline. 

But, in my view, that is the goal of the faction currently in government. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Think things are dire there?

Pfff.  We can raise the stakes with this bloke who last week got his old job back as our deputy PM somehow after being forced out for being the countries biggest d1ckhead the first time around.

Anti gay marriage, anti women's rights, anti unemployed people, anti climate change, anti Johnny Depp's dogs, left his wife and children for that girl he's  checking out in photo 2 after he got her preggers, now has 2 kids with her and whinges about how tough it is with 2 families to support on a ministers income.

We thought we'd got rid of him a couple of years back when he turned out to have NZ citizenship but there's no justice in this world, just stupid people who vote here because it's compulsory and they get a sausage sandwich.

image.png.a18a9481bc98d6eefeb0e0a75bd147fc.png

image.png.75a350a48b3a1d2e029bfa11bbd05c3b.png

image.png.eec848cc48ec93e9106d53a13f851e96.png

image.png.35a2d84a69aa79f9825ca74e6a05ee27.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I wonder what Mr Hancock’s Aide would bring to the Ministry based on her experience of working with her husband in a Fashion House.  Then you discover her father owns a Pharmaceutical company!, and low and behold Door Matt and Gina have know each other since their time at Oxford!

Enough said.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

I see Useless Hancock has fallen on his sword.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57625508

With Boris saying that he was behind him all the way, Hancock must have felt the knife between the shoulderblades...

Lets get back to the real world.

Is there going to be a St Tabs Summer Fete this year?

Edited by Hroth
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I wonder what Mr Hancock’s Aide would bring to the Ministry based on her experience of working with her husband in a Fashion House.  Then you discover her father owns a Pharmaceutical company!, and low and behold Door Matt and Gina have know each other since their time at Oxford!

It all stinks to high heaven.

My working hypothesis is that he's been forced to resign on this issue (which I'd guess Central Office have had on file since early May if not longer) to avoid having him have to resign on the more substantive issue of his record in office, which would bring discredit* on the government as a whole. I feel for the relatives of care home residents who died of Covid last year - they have been denied one form of justice.

*I nearly wrote shame, then recalled that the concept appears to be unknown to them. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the same old same old.

For light relief I was looking at the Government's impact statement on their 'junk food' advertising ban: around 100 pages in it says that they expect a reduction of upto 4 calories per day on people's food consumption.

:banghead:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Think things are dire there?

Pfff.  We can raise the stakes with this bloke who last week got his old job back as our deputy PM somehow after being forced out for being the countries biggest d1ckhead the first time around.

Anti gay marriage, anti women's rights, anti unemployed people, anti climate change, anti Johnny Depp's dogs, left his wife and children for that girl he's  checking out in photo 2 after he got her preggers, now has 2 kids with her and whinges about how tough it is with 2 families to support on a ministers income.

We thought we'd got rid of him a couple of years back when he turned out to have NZ citizenship but there's no justice in this world, just stupid people who vote here because it's compulsory and they get a sausage sandwich.

image.png.a18a9481bc98d6eefeb0e0a75bd147fc.png

image.png.75a350a48b3a1d2e029bfa11bbd05c3b.png

image.png.eec848cc48ec93e9106d53a13f851e96.png

image.png.35a2d84a69aa79f9825ca74e6a05ee27.png

Does he have the concession to take on the Sir Les Patterson role from Barry Humphries?.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Of course, it’s not the first time she’s fallen into the clutches of an incredibly unlikely romantic partner.

F42DD62E-E8D1-4756-8821-35186A24E955.jpeg

Which one was not wearing make-up?

What I would like to know is, what the heck was the poster artist on?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

What I would like to know is, what the heck was the poster artist on?

Gina, I should think.

Here she is as the Queen of Sheba, attempting to bring King Solomon down by means of her powers of seduction. Not a very good analogy for our Gina and Matt...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

In January 1968, she also had a one-night extramarital affair with Christiaan Barnard, a South African doctor and pioneer in heart transplant surgery.

Above from  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Lollobrigida#:~:text=In January 1968%2C she also had a one-night extramarital affair with Christiaan Barnard%2C a South African doctor and pioneer in heart transplant surgery.]

It seems Gina has been there before with the medical folk?

All hail La Lollo?