Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Going back half a page, Re. Smallpox vaccinations, ... our classes at senior school were lined up without any option for vaccination, which my memory says was administered by having a small scratch on the upper arm and a serum rubbed onto the wound.  This was in 1946 . I can date it because a house move meant that I changed to a different school in early 1947. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Smallpox vaccination went on until 1971 - I certainly recall us proudly showing our vaccination wounds and scars to one another.

If you read-up on it though, you will find that the vaccination programme was just as much a rocky road as the present one, with plenty of politics and naked racism thrown in for good measure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

In the news ..... fascinating interview on R4 with the son of anti-vac nutter and de-frocked nurse Kate Shemirani 

Well, this was meant to be a working morning. Instead I seem to have spent most of it link-hopping on Wikipedia, and as a result I know rather more about conspiracy theories than is good for me. 

For example, I now believe that DCC is a Deep State alien-developed technology giving a sinister Elite the power to stop us all playing trains. I also think it would be possible to make nickel-silver rails that never need cleaning, but a powerful cabal of track cleaner manufacturers won't allow it.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

Well, this was meant to be a working morning. Instead I seem to have spent most of it link-hopping on Wikipedia, and as a result I know rather more about conspiracy theories than is good for me. 

Ah, but that’s what “they” want you to think…

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Ah, but that’s what “they” want you to think…

Yes, I was a bit surprised that such an incredibly powerful conspiracy was happy to let everyone spread its greatest secrets all over the Internet. 

Incidentally, I did discover in Wikipedia that Piers Corbyn and David Icke think that Kate Shemirani is really an Illuminati stooge feeding us false flag info. I wouldn't normally pass on gossip like this, but I felt it might go some way to reassuring Edwardian.

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

Piers Corbyn and David Icke think that Kate Shemirani is really an Illuminati stooge feeding us false flag info.

This moves the discussion into the realms of the general and special theories of meta-irony...

Edited by CKPR
  • Funny 2

Standard Special Branch/MI5 technique in the yeas when they spent a lot of time infiltrating left wing organisations was to both cause splits by "upping the ante" on the bonkers-ness of the rhetoric and proposed positioning of the organisation, leading to the situation parodied by Monty Python as The People's Judean Liberation Front, and to seed paranoia by dropping gentle hints that somebody (not them, obviously!) in the group was a SB/MI5 plant.

One can only hope that they haven't lost these mendacious skills over the years, and are busy inside the anti-vaxx movement (possibly even in "sleeping with the enemy" mode, which was their other speciality, of course).

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

... cause splits by "upping the ante" on the bonkers-ness of the rhetoric and proposed positioning of the organisation ... and to seed paranoia ...

Oh my God! They've infiltrated the No 10 Policy Unit!!

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Regularity said:

They have policies at No. 10?

The policy of appearing to have no policies is a deeply-laid policy, part of a systematic subversion of democracy.

Either that or they are in fact as incompetent and self-serving as they appear.

Or possibly both. 

• Like 3

I guess that if there is one group that has a longer, and more distinguished, tradition of infiltrating organisations and subverting them to their own purposes than SB/MI5, or their Russian counterparts, it is Etonians. Are any of these prominent anti-vaxxers Etonians, by any chance?

EDIT: Ah, hang on a minute. This is beginning to build into a conspiracy theory. I'd better be careful ........... maybe the tendency to see conspiracies in everything has actually infiltrated me! They must have planted the idea in my head!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I guess that if there is one group that has a longer, and more distinguished, tradition of infiltrating organisations and subverting them to their own purposes than SB/MI5, or their Russian counterparts, it is Etonians. Are any of these prominent anti-vaxxers Etonians, by any chance?

EDIT: Ah, hang on a minute. This is beginning to build into a conspiracy theory. I'd better be careful ........... maybe the tendency to see conspiracies in everything has actually infiltrated me! They must have planted the idea in my head!

The reality check is to ask yourself, would you become intoxicated if you attended a social function that they'd organised in a brewery? If you are in any doubt of the answer, ask yourself, if invited, would you accept?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The policy of appearing to have no policies is a deeply-laid policy, part of a systematic subversion of democracy.

Did you write scripts for 'Yes Minister'? 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Having worked in a County Council I can assure you that Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were really in fact documentaries and based on real and therefore possibly very frightening events. I gave in and left after 4 years but still bear the scars to this day.:jester:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 26/07/2021 at 11:44, Ian Simpson said:

For example, I now believe that DCC is a Deep State alien-developed technology giving a sinister Elite the power to stop us all playing trains. I also think it would be possible to make nickel-silver rails that never need cleaning, but a powerful cabal of track cleaner manufacturers won't allow it.

Clockwork!  Thats the answer!!!

On 27/07/2021 at 02:31, Annie said:

7jNIGUV.jpg

I felt sorry for the ardent anti-vaxxer who died this week from covid.  When he was taken into hospital he apparently asked if it was too late now to be vaccinated...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Clockwork!  That's the answer!!!

I very much agree  :good:

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I felt sorry for the ardent anti-vaxxer who died this week from covid.  When he was taken into hospital he apparently asked if it was too late now to be vaccinated...

Any death as a result of someone's poor choices is always a tragedy, but with the numbers of anti-vaxxers, freedumbers and religious extremists who have fallen to the virus you'd have thought that they might have got the message by now.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Annie said:

I very much agree  :good:

Any death as a result of someone's poor choices is always a tragedy, but with the numbers of anti-vaxxers, freedumbers and religious extremists who have fallen to the virus you'd have thought that they might have got the message by now.

Didn’t you know?

These aren’t real deaths, just false statistics and actors pretending to die in order to get YouTube hits.

I thought everyone knew that? ;)

(No lizard-people were involved in the production of this message.)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

Speaking of appropriate measures, I saw this extraordinary piece of prescience whilst visiting the Dean Forest Railway this morning...

907529335_SocialDistancing.jpg.25588af9cbe99a3bc6d62d5cc92fefde.jpg

Remember, Coughs and Sneezes Spread Diseases!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Speaking of appropriate measures, I saw this extraordinary piece of prescience whilst visiting the Dean Forest Railway this morning...

907529335_SocialDistancing.jpg.25588af9cbe99a3bc6d62d5cc92fefde.jpg

Remember, Coughs and Sneezes Spread Diseases!

The railways were into social distancing from a very early date. On the Midland, for example:

28026%20Enamel%20Ladies%20Compressed.jpg

[MRSC Item 28026, embedded link to catalogue thumbnail]

11661%20Door%20Plate%20Compressed.jpg

[MRSC Item 11661, embedded link to catalogue thumbnail].

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, uax6 said:

I thought they spread dieseals ....

Andy G

If you've ever seen youtube clips of one clearing its throat* on a cold'n'frosty morning, then you'd know that disesles spread coughs and sneezes!  :jester:

* I didn't post the video directly so as to preserve the unsullied perfection of the Proceedings from ugly Diseasles....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1