Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Which, for some reason just made me think of gardening. 

It’s never good to go bash-crashing over into your neighbour’s garden, chopping down his plants, clearing the ground, and, in this case, forgetting to plant and water the sort you like, while at the same time leaving your own lawn to run rampant, weeds to flourish in the flowerbeds, and tender plants to die of frost and drought, thereby over stretching yourself and yielding two messed-up gardens. Unless…..

The reason you really want into his garden was to secure monopoly access to the well just beyond, and all the talk about his tasteless geraniums, and the bindweed crawling under the fence from his side, was just a pretext.

Next week, Bob Flowerdew will be with us at Little Fumbling Parish Hall, to talk about the best time to cut-back your wisteria, and force-projection in a post 9/11 world. 

Just because I neglect my garden doesn't mean I want you to park your tanks on my lawn!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Which, for some reason just made me think of gardening. 

It’s never good to go bash-crashing over into your neighbour’s garden, chopping down his plants, clearing the ground, and, in this case, forgetting to plant and water the sort you like, while at the same time leaving your own lawn to run rampant, weeds to flourish in the flowerbeds, and tender plants to die of frost and drought, thereby over stretching yourself and yielding two messed-up gardens. Unless…..

The reason you really want into his garden was to secure monopoly access to the well just beyond, and all the talk about his tasteless geraniums, and the bindweed crawling under the fence from his side, was just a pretext.

Next week, Bob Flowerdew will be with us at Little Fumbling Parish Hall, to talk about the best time to cut-back your wisteria, and force-projection in a post 9/11 world. 

I rated that as funny, but not to beat about the bush, I think it was a sage observation.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Just because I neglect my garden doesn't mean I want you to park your tanks on my lawn!

So, where would you like me to park them?  In the goods yard?  (Oil tanks, tar tanks and milk tanks, of course!)

Jim

A thought provoking quote in today's Guardian from a doctor in Oklahoma re the number of people getting admitted into hospital emergency wards due to taking that horse worming stuff cos the vaccines are too risky:

"There’s a reason you have to have a doctor to get a prescription for this stuff, because it can be dangerous,” Dr Jason McElyea, a family doctor in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an Oklahoma TV station.

“The [emergency rooms] are so backed up that gunshot victims are having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Annie said:

It's a wonder that the American subspecies of the Human race has lasted as long as it has.

On my Twitter feed I received a Tweet regarding an incident where the leader of the Proud Boys in Portland, Oregon apparently shot himself in the foot while walking somewhere. His name is (I kid you not) "Tiny" Toese. He is Samoan and is fairly large. Tiny apparently is his nickname, although it may well be a description by now as well.:jester:

In the depths of lockdown we need all the humour we can get.

• Like 3

Worthwhile factoring-in that it the exceptional that gets prominence in the news. Some pretty bizarre stuff gets highlighted by the British papers, and anyone daft enough to think that it was a representative selection of how the British are would be, well, daft.

If newspapers and TV and internet channels were filled with the unexceptional, they’d be as boringly bland as real life thankfully is for most of us most of the time, so there’d be no point reading them as a diversion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

A thought provoking quote in today's Guardian from a doctor in Oklahoma re the number of people getting admitted into hospital emergency wards due to taking that horse worming stuff cos the vaccines are too risky:

"There’s a reason you have to have a doctor to get a prescription for this stuff, because it can be dangerous,” Dr Jason McElyea, a family doctor in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an Oklahoma TV station.

“The [emergency rooms] are so backed up that gunshot victims are having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated."

No mention of the comparative rates of Covid infection and gun shot wounding.  Is the good Doctor Jason a member of the gun lobby perhaps? What is the cost of dose of worming fluid compared with getting a couple of jabs?

Being fully jabbed, and due for a top-up Flu + vaccine jab ,I can say that anti-vaxxers believe some incredible nonsense. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just heard, two distant family friends{?}, & ardent anti-vaxxers [married...too each other, which might say a lot?], about a decade younger than myself...have come down with covid, and are, by all accounts, quite poorly with it!

As my Ex commented, they are of the type who always must be controversial, in their views.

Whatever the issue, they just have to swing the opposite way!

I would say, being an overt anti-vaxxer can be as much about appearances, as anything else.

Like being an ardent vegetarian, or an ardent eco warrior [or an ardent EV supporter?]  Nothing to do with logic or reason, everything to do with Facebook!

Anyway, they're both poorly [the fella just couldn't wait to get back down to the pub! So hardly surprising, really?}   As an aside, the landlady of his 'local' has had to close down.....due to covid!

Oddly, I cannot summon up much in the way of sympathy for their plight, either.

They were, after all, the Ex's friends, rather than mine. Thankfully the EX & my Son-&-Heir haven't 'seen them for some time.....All the same, we're all testing regularly, just in case?

Also, DD and new Hubby just returned from a trip to London, [den-of-iniquity, in my view]  so further reason for mucho testing here?

We're all jabbed as it happens [SIL was an early jabberwocky, being a lockdown hospital volunteer], but being  a jabberwocky doesn't preclude being infectious...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Worthwhile factoring-in that it the exceptional that gets prominence in the news. Some pretty bizarre stuff gets highlighted by the British papers, and anyone daft enough to think that it was a representative selection of how the British are would be, well, daft.

If newspapers and TV and internet channels were filled with the unexceptional, they’d be as boringly bland as real life thankfully is for most of us most of the time, so there’d be no point reading them as a diversion.

Just like trying to get a grasp of British life and current affairs (North or South) by watching Corrie and Eastenders. Or understanding Yorkshire* folk by watching Emmerdale Farm.  Or life in Australia by watching Neighbours, or Home and Away...

Though most people here get their idea of what the USA is like by watching the imported dross we get here.  I believe we get the "best" of US output, so it beggars belief about the standard of the stuff we DON'T get.

* I'm just pedelling stereotypes, not reality, you understand!

Edited by Hroth
Another upsetting comparison
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

On my Twitter feed I received a Tweet regarding an incident where the leader of the Proud Boys in Portland, Oregon apparently shot himself in the foot while walking somewhere. His name is (I kid you not) "Tiny" Toese. He is Samoan and is fairly large. Tiny apparently is his nickname, although it may well be a description by now as well.:jester:

I do wonder what those boys are so proud of, the cavernous emptiness in their craniums maybe?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I believe we get the "best" of US output, so it beggars belief about the standard of the stuff we DON'T get.

"Dance Moms"!

4 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

"It was one of those malfunctions where my thumb went in front of the barrel and it ... went off.."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Dance Moms"!

"It was one of those malfunctions where my thumb went in front of the barrel and it ... went off.."

I can't find the video, but there was one posted on YouTube of a chap who was at the range target shooting.

A round misfired and instead of pointing the rifle in a safe direction for a minute and then opening the bolt and ejecting the round he did something else. He muttered a few brief expletives slammed the butt on the ground and looked down the barrel. There was a bang and the chap fell over backwards swearing, moaning, screaming and holding his face.

Once his friends had pried loose his hands they discovered he'd been extremely lucky. The only damage was in the bill of his cap where the bullet and gone through which, in the process, just missed his nose. Physical damage was limited to some face blackening and light burns from powder residue and presumably an urgent need for an underwear change.

Darwin developed the scientific understanding of why such people rarely go on to reproduce. 

The anti-vaxxers put me in mind of such people. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

'Push-back': Priti Patel seems to be adopting Chinese naval tactics to hold back the hordes of desperate migrants who would rather face death than risk becoming French ... 

I gather that:

1. the proposed course of action would be in breach of maritime law;
  2. the French won't have anything to do with it;
  3. use of such manoeuvres, or any approach at speed by a naval vessel, would stand a high chance of swamping the types of boats being used, with the resultant likelihood of drownings.

I suspect the best deterrent to any would-be migrant would be a face-to-face meeting with the Home Secretary. 

• Funny 3

44 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I suspect the best deterrent to any would-be migrant would be a face-to-face meeting with the Home Secretary. 

Especially if she deployed her (allegedly) trade mark smirk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I gather that:

1. the proposed course of action would be in breach of maritime international law;
  2. the French won't have anything to do with it;
  3. use of such manoeuvres, or any approach at speed by a naval vessel, would stand a high chance of swamping the types of boats being used, with the resultant likelihood of drownings p1ssing everyone off.

See ''Get BR---T done!''