Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium

The Delta version of COVID-19 is now in the holy bastion of the Waikato so my daughter and I are presently awaiting the government announcement at 4pm today to see what lockdown level we'll be moving up to.  Up until now Auckland has been ring fenced at Level 4 while the rest of the country was at Level 2.5, but somehow a remand prisoner who was infectious was given leave to go home to his family here in the Waikato with predictable results.  

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James.  Where I am we're still under Level 2.5 with the new area of infection being ring fenced at a higher level.  The word from the government is to keep on being careful and to stick to the rules.  Our health dept seems to think that they've caught it in time with tracing and testing all contacts, but it's going to be a waiting game over the next few days to see if anyone else develops symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Let's hope so ....

Here's how we're doing in the UK

This map is terrifying, until you reflect on the protection the vaccine (still) gives us.  The figures are cases per 100K of population.  I remember being locked down locally for being under 20 per 100K.  Now look at it!

The range here is only 4 colours, lighter blue through to darker purple.  The former represents 100-199 cases per 100K, the latter 800+ per 100K.  

cases_2021-09-14.png.2a506150dcc11ef4547ec1280bfc380a.png

So, can I have my booster jab now please?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Annie said:

The Delta version of COVID-19 is now in the holy bastion of the Waikato so my daughter and I are presently awaiting the government announcement at 4pm today to see what lockdown level we'll be moving up to.  Up until now Auckland has been ring fenced at Level 4 while the rest of the country was at Level 2.5, but somehow a remand prisoner who was infectious was given leave to go home to his family here in the Waikato with predictable results.  

You have my sympathy. The Delta strain is a real bastard. We've been locked down now for well over a month. The daily infection levels are rising despite the lockdown because it relies on idiots, of whom we have a selfish self-centred abundance of, to spread it. 

I am so heartily sick of their whining about having to wear masks or their "read it on the web" ideas that the vaccination will destroy their precious bodily fluids etc. views, that I wish the government just had the special powers to shoot the selfish dumb .

On Saturday we had a full scale riot by about 150 if these idiots who were claiming that lockdown was infringing their rights etc. etc. Now we'll be seeing more cases of the Delta variant because of these idiots. We're now averaging around 500 a day and it's rising.

Won't wear a mask, won't get vaccinated, their freedom of choice endangered etc. etc. All being fuelled by a billionaire named Clive Palmer (well known serial corporate crook in the Trump mould) who by buying an ex Liberal Party politician named Craig Kelly has formed the United Australia Party especially, it seems, to fight vaccination by pushing the ivermectin cure. This has all been seized on by far right demonstrators taking their cue from the neo-Nazi right wing in Europe to generally disrupt efforts to fight COVID and advance their neo-Nazi views. It's a witches brew of idiots, crooks and political opportunists on the right. Now because these Nazis have infiltrated the building unions the government which had allowed construction to continue has decided to shut it down for 2 weeks because of a small riot these Nazis threw today. That's thousands of workers who'll lose pay.

And in case anyone failed to notice I am thoroughly pissed off with the . I just want this lockdown to end and these fools are stuffing it up for the vast majority of us in Victoria. What the hell is so difficult about wearing a mask and getting vaccinated. I've done it, and nearly 80% and rising of Victorians have done it, and these "people" just stuff it up for all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

If you already live a fairly ‘low contact’ life, not mingling with lots of people indoors, I would suggest that U.K. experience should be reassuring to you - even experience pre-vaccination. Put bluntly, it’s people that pass it from one to another, and if you steer clear of people, except outdoors, and then at respectful distance, it’s going to have real trouble reaching you.

Shopping was the risk point for many here pre-vaccination, and my take would be that it’s well worth getting to know which food shops are good at nagging people to wear masks, and ideally are open and airy - claustrophobic little corner shops, run by people with an unnervingly casual attitude, were the ones that gave me the heebies, and which I steered well clear of.

My mother and her ‘ancient* but active’ group of pals are a good benchmark to me. They all live independently in their houses, in a small town, and (keeping fingers crossed) not one of them caught it, yet they all shopped for themselves throughout (dawn raids when hardly anyone else was about), and all kept up some level of outdoor exercise (in my mother’s case pretty long walks ‘down the woods’ at dawn, when not raiding the shops). In practice, the thing they struggled with was the isolation, not being able to gather for gossips and bus outings (one of the owns and runs a vintage bus), during the dark months, more than the direct threat of the bug.

Long way of saying that caution is necessary, but fear probably isn’t.

*I should probably use that word with caution, because I’m pretty sure that one or two correspondents here are not far short of my mother’s age!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

these "people" just stuff it up for all of us. 

What would be really interesting would be to understand where, at the deepest level, the money and mental provocation that fuels this stuff comes from. But, this isn’t the conspiracy theory thread, so mention of “actors working on people of states opposed to western liberal democracy” would simply count as paranoia on my part.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Let's hope so ....

Here's how we're doing in the UK

This map is terrifying, until you reflect on the protection the vaccine (still) gives us.  The figures are cases per 100K of population.  I remember being locked down locally for being under 20 per 100K.  Now look at it!

The range here is only 4 colours, lighter blue through to darker purple.  The former represents 100-199 cases per 100K, the latter 800+ per 100K.  

cases_2021-09-14.png.2a506150dcc11ef4547ec1280bfc380a.png

If you look at the figures at a district rather than county level, North Norfolk has usually been in the bottom (ie lowest) half dozen or so in terms of infection rate despite the influx of tourists. In part this must be due to an elderly and risk averse demographic.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

37 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, provided there aren't any U turns and its 6 months after your second jab.

I'm not likely to get a booster until mid-November, but at least I got a flu jab* on Saturday.

* Speaking of the flu jab, I don't normally have any evidence that I've been jabbed, but this time I've got a red, slightly swollen area at the injection site. It isn't painful, but I'm wondering if there is a slight reaction to the covid vaccine?

HOWEVER. If you are offered a flu jab, or can book it at your GP, I would urge you to get it.  Covid is bad enough, but covid and flu would be really miserable...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For me the watchwords are "continued caution", though certainly not "fear", and this mainly because, with significant numbers of the population taking full advantage of the relaxations (and I think here specifically of mask-wearing in indoor public spaces such as shops, which it would have been sensible to continue as a compulsory measure), I feel I now have to compensate for the relative incaution of others. 

Only now am I beginning slowly to recover from three weeks of continued shortness of breath,  associated lack of sleep and a debilitating cough. Regardless of my double-jabbed status, what I really don't want, at this point, is some can't-be-a@sed-to-mask berk in Morrisons to give me Delta.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

What would be really interesting would be to understand where, at the deepest level, the money and mental provocation that fuels this stuff comes from. But, this isn’t the conspiracy theory thread, so mention of “actors working on people of states opposed to western liberal democracy” would simply count as paranoia on my part.

To be frank it comes from the stupid/gullible gene which is present in far too many people. It's also known as the Confidence of Ignorance gene. It manifests itself in behaviour like "I think I know what this complicated stuff I never studied is all about so I'll act on my understanding". In America it's called the hold my beer gene

Put simply these people, by their very existence, are the greatest argument for a serious eugenics movement I can think of. I know it sounds like Nazi theology but sometimes one thinks perhaps .......  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

simply these people, by their very existence, are the greatest argument for a serious eugenics movement I can think of. I know it sounds like Nazi theology but sometimes one thinks perhaps .......  

I get my daily guilty uplifting dose of schadenfreude by reading the entries at sorryantivaxxer.com. Most entries have attached examples of antivaxx posts and "Covid isn't real but if it is it's like the flu" tweets that the person had made.

Then they caught it and died.

Gotta say, after a turgid start  most of our local government areas have first dose rates at 92 percent and above so if there is a Craig Kelly fanclub here it is a very small one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

the Dunning-Kruger effect, which explains pretty much all

Probably right.

I’ll confine my paranoia to external actors simply fanning spontaneous combustions of bonkersness, and self-interested, and morally bankrupt, opportunists who delight in turning idiocy into a quasi-political stance.

Question is: does having a strand of this sort of stuff in the population confer evolutionary advantage? Presumably it must somehow, otherwise it would have been selected out. I’m guessing that in tribal days, having the odd hyper-xenophobic and anti-reason berserker in the camp might have been useful to bare survival in very hard times, if increasingly un-useful once things moved on from that stage towards actual civilisation.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Or, the Dunning-Kruger effect, which explains pretty much all the stupid sh1t that's happened in the world since 2016, IMHO.

Thanks for that!

Yet another 5 minutes googling! I'll never get the grass cut at this rate!

I'm glad some folk [who know, I suspect?] have identified a phenomena I have suspected exists for years now.

I am not a psycho {logist] but , in my last work environment [job, some would say? Revenge, is what I say!]...I strongly believed that being able to answer the question 'why?', and trying to understand 'why' folk do what I observed they do on a regular basis...helped me to get across ideas and concepts successfully.
 The Dunning-Kruger effect is so typified in an aspect of daily life, IE, driving?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta say, after a turgid start  most of our local government areas have first dose rates at 92 percent and above so if there is a Craig Kelly fanclub here it is a very small one.

That's my reading of it. Most people are aware that, besides the undeniable fact that he's what we call call a first rate example of a bottom feeding sewer rat, he's just a front man for Clive Palmer's efforts to feed preference votes to the Liberals to protect his mining interests. The censorship program, built into this forum, is preventing me from really expressing how I feel about these parasites except to say that ivermectin was designed with them in mind.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Or, the Dunning-Kruger effect, which explains pretty much all the stupid sh1t that's happened in the world since 2016, IMHO.

Observation of the effect, can be evidenced much further back than that.

• Agree 2