Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

I'm not totally convinced that you are labelling it correctly, though, because it seems that D&K found that, when we lack competence, we tend to overestimate own own competence, but can still spot a person more competent than ourselves. In short, I can spot a chap who is really good at carpentry, but I don't realise quite how attrociously bad at it I am myself (actually, I do have some inkling!).

What we are talking about here are people who (a) overestimate their own competence, and (b) underestimate (to the point of dismissing) the competence of other, obviously competent, people. That would be like me elbowing the skilled carpenter out of the way, and setting-to with my dodgy joints and right-angles that aren't, because I truly believe I'm doing a better job.

I'm not sure what the accepted label for this phenomenon might be among psychiatrists, but there are several commonly-used words for it.

FFF6DD6D-2A22-4036-B14F-27AF90F80A73.jpeg.0fca3578b5be0204bdf422cef9ea7212.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Put simply these people, by their very existence, are the greatest argument for a serious eugenics movement I can think of.

Having been bullied by other children who were well deserving to be called 'stupid thugs' when I was a young schoolgirl, I developed a clear idea of the theory of eugenics even before I read about in in books.

Kevin's 'hyper-xenophobic and anti-reason berserkers'  might have been of use during times of adversity when there actually was a serious physical threat out there for them to punch and stamp all over, but during a global pandemic it's difficult to not start thinking that it would be very good if they were all dead.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

23 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

The censorship program, built into this forum, is preventing me from really expressing how I feel about these parasites except to say that ivermectin was designed with them in mind.

Today's paper reports that Vets in the USA are complaining of a shortage of Invermectin because so much is being taken by the (almost human ?) population. 

In the news ....

Boris Johnson warns world leaders against 'desertification', which one might be forgiven for thinking refers to the practice of fathering children out of wedlock with various partners and then abandoning them. He also said we should not treat the world as our plastic playpen.

I really cannot decide whether the man has gained maturity and self-knowledge, or, as I suspect, these are gloriously self-unaware statements utterly devoid of conscious irony!  

In contrast, Sir Keir has published an 11,000 word essay that literally no one will ever read in order to communicate his essence to the voting public. 

were-all-mad-here-sigmund-gede.jpg.8f9d5a5ed8bcd6d71f8e6f47a712489e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You underestimate the capacity of a certain type of Labour Party member to pick-over every single word, turn it upside down, and examine it from every angle, in order to find the pretext to rip it to shreds in public, thereby helping right-wing newspapers to portray the party as riven with strife. And then, to complain bitterly that the party never achieves a parliamentary majority.

Looking for a “shooting yourself in the foot”picture, I found this, which is a very good read indeed https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/de2a1e52-4677-11ea-aee2-9ddbdc86190d

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You underestimate the capacity of a certain type of Labour Party member to pick-over every single word, turn it upside down, and examine it from every angle, in order to find the pretext to rip it to shreds in public, thereby helping right-wing newspapers to portray the party as riven with strife. And then, to complain bitterly that the party never achieves a parliamentary majority.

Looking for a “shooting yourself in the foot”picture, I found this, which is a very good read indeed https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/de2a1e52-4677-11ea-aee2-9ddbdc86190d

So far as I can tell, you have linked to this:

ftlogo-v1_brand-ft-logo-square-coloured.jpg.83014e4072d590d185acc38b65d15e17.jpg

I have a friend and colleague who is a Labour councillor. He constantly battles against the phenomenon you describe, so, no, I by no means under-estimate the Labour Movement's preference for a perpetual internecine struggle for ideological purity over the promotion of a version of the party actually capable of winning a General Election!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, but better to be right [see what I did there?] than be able to help people... 

There are also some extreme left wingers who would rather have the conditions and strife necessary for class struggle/warfare as it makes a revolution more likely (in their minds) as it suits their restricted view of Marxism.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

far as I can tell, you have linked to this:

Ah, yes, specifically a brilliant drawing of John Bull, laying on his back, boots off, with a cocked flintlock in each hand, pointing them at his stockinged feet. But it looks like we now have to pay to see that!

The drawing illustrates an article about BJ’s approach to negotiations with the EU, 12-18 months ago, which forecasts the future that we are now in, with JB/BJ having made us Billy No Mates in Europe, getting snubbed in trade negotiations by Uncle Sam. Whoever wrote it was some kind of soothsayer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

http___com_ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us_s3.amazonaws.jpg.e521f6aed3929058498a14f8d95a68a6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

h, yes, specifically a brilliant drawing of John Bull, laying on his back, boots off, with a cocked flintlock in each hand, pointing them at his stockinged feet. But it looks like we now have to pay to see that!

Jeez a spoiler alert would have been good, I just signed up for 75 dollars a month in order to check it out.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Chinese-made repro pistols..JB will miss at that distance!

US trade deals?  [We can, apparently, now offload all our dead sheep to the US!]

I think the US is running scared on that one? They're worried we might try to off-load all our Chinese-made rubbish onto the gullible American public? Cannot be having that at all, can we?

After all, most American-made goods really means ''Made in Taiwan?''

Anyway, we can export to Canada, and let them con the Yanks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Whoever wrote it was some kind of soothsayer.

Or just not one of those MPs that even The Domster has described as "absolute morons"

The only thing that was not 100% predictable (which is saying something in a life where few things are at all predictable) was that a pandemic would arrive that would mask the inevitable impact of our National Suicide Note for 18 months.

But, now, the masks are off .... 

• Agree 3

One day, Bozo the Clown enters the ring. He is not met with the cheers, laughter and adulation that he expected. Instead, all that he could hear was a barrage of boos. A look of confusion and hurt crossed his face, mirroring his thoughts,  I am Bozo the Clown, every one loves Bozo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

Ahh, now I remember why he was such a failure as Foreign Secretary! 

Third Form humour just doesn't work that well  in international relations.

That and the other thing, what was it?  Ah, yes, inability.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I've stayed out of this for a while but there comes a time where just writing it out might help express the anguish I feel about the situation we are in.

Please skip over if a rant offends. If I'm straying too far into politics, @AY Mod feel free to delete.

Bozo is just an immature schoolboy with absolutely zero self awareness and even less ability.

Yes the EU situation was always going to be tricky to resolve, but crashing us out of free trade and movement has only satisfied a proportion of the electorate & allowed the Tories to gain their majority - but at what cost to the country as a whole? We've scared off any chance of getting migrant workers to come in, so we're left with not enough people to gather the harvest, not enough people to distribute the food (or fuel!) and not enough health / care workers to prop up the ailing staff who're on the brink of collapse.

Decades of relying on cheaper labour from abroad, instead of investing here, is coming home to roost. And it's not starlings coming in, it's flippin' great vultures.

Allowing everything to fail, or just portraying something as failing even when it's doing a very good job (Channel 4, NHS etc) is probably a back door way to bring in privatisation, with all the inequality of access and cost that entails.Then he makes puerile third rate attempts at 'humour' at the expense of those he's upset already - Franglaise 'jokes' about the French giving him a break, when he's been party to an absolutely underhand and degrading back room deal to cut the French off. I dread to think what kind if welcome we might get when we try going to France next year.

I really need to see if I am eligible for Irish citizenship as I don't like being part of this UK anymore. The idea of going to New Zealand is dwindling as all the mega rich seem to regard it as a potential bolt hole now.

Thank you for letting me unburden myself. If I get banned - so long & thanks for all the fish....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Rich, you have my unbounded sympathy.

You did give me the heebie-jeebies invoking The Mod; this topic is our little illicit speak-easy, and, frankly, I would have gone stark staring insane if I had not had the safety valve that this topic has provided. It has worked because unlike the rest of social meeja, and, indeed, the more populous and gobsh1te-ridden corners of RMWeb, we have  proved a thoughtful, courteous, civilised, and self-policing discussion group of Grown Ups - far more grown up and, frankly, brighter, than the current generation of populist nationalist politicians!  Thus we have vented and debated over 107 pages with no ill-temper or rifts. However, illicit I am sure we are, and, frankly, I would not want to embarrass AndyY, whose judgment, discretion and tolerance I have come to be thankful for over the years, with knowledge of our (largely my) indiscretions and infractions.  I would prefer to leave him with the option of placing his spyglass to his blind eye. 

I have, before now, expressed regret that not one of my four grandparents had managed to be Irish, so I know where you are coming from there.  However, I have a profound love for England Home and Beauty and even (most of) its contrary and recalcitrant population, and for the values it used to represent, for the Union of which it is still a part, for the lessons and wisdom that it had learnt yet is now rapidly forgetting, for its ability to be that still small voice of calm, and conscience, on the world stage. Now, as we reach the End Times, is not, for me, the time to abandon the sinking ship. Rather, I feel that I will go down with that ship, saluting the memory of something precious that was lost, even as I curse the captain who dismissed all navigational obstructions as Project Fear and the iceberg as mere snowflakes.  

87197b484269d1d16ab8e84d180501c7.jpg.ba735352ffd0a52ff145b0a5c4e93136.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I would prefer to leave him with the option of placing his spyglass to his blind eye. 

I see no ships. 

Should have left him suspended up that zip wire for immortality years ago. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4