Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Sorry to come in a bit late here (been on grandparenting duties over the weekend), but in my view, and those of some others i was speaking to this morning, the 'fuel crisis' is entirely the fault of the media.  If they had not reported that a few forecourts had temporarily run out, all these numpties would not have been going out and queueing for hours to put a few gallons in their tanks.  If they reported tomorrow that there was an impending shortage of red paint you can bet your boots that by the end of the week every DIY store in the country would be out of red paint!

On education funding, I have yet to hear a politician accept that NO public service - education the NHS, road maintenance - gets sufficient funding and until they do admit it and we accept that we all, individuals and companies, have to pay more to the public purse, in the way @Nearholmer says, to achieve that, nothing will change.

Jim

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

If they reported tomorrow that there was an impending shortage of red paint you can bet your boots that by the end of the week every DIY store in the country would be out of red paint!

That did happen, when it was reported that Halfords were discontinuing Rover Damask Red. Midland enthusiasts are no less sheepish than the population at large.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Ian Simpson said:

Okay, but presumably you'll be voting for another five years of Boris.

Yep, that's right.

And after all I've said.

In a heart beat.

I never imagined that would be possible; but, then, I hadn't expected the recycling of an abandoned Corbyn class-war policy that is clearly untenable. It is exactly the sort of obnoxious idiot policy that will confirm the suspicion, that for many had never completely gone away, that Labour simply cannot be trusted.

So, I say to Sir Keir, threaten my kids' education and you'll find me manning the opposite barricade to you.  Threaten my kids education and threaten to negate the very considerable sacrifices I've made to secure it, and I'll cast my vote against you with as much compunction as a Cossack sabering a Bolshevik. And it will serve you right. Idiot.

I will vote against that idiot Boris after I've secured my children's future.   

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Sir Kier has always seemed very much a technical politician - competent but not really a good figurehead and with no real killer instinct or charisma to take on opposition.

Angela Rayner could be far more of a challenge to Boris, notwithstanding her rather contentious phrasing recently.

Unfortunately the Labour party are still intent on fighting themselves instead of the other team.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I will vote against that idiot Boris after I've secured my children's future.   

Next general election, autumn 2024. Allow a couple of years for a Labour government to enact the relevant legislation - autumn 2026. So that's five school years away. I'm pretty sure from what we've been told before that your younger child has been in secondary education for at least two years by now.

I think you'll see where I'm going with this...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

one would like to think that a former DPP was at least a moral individual

Why? He was a lawyer?

Sorry, couldn’t resist, but it is possible to break the law but be morally right, and to be legal but immoral.

• Funny 4

41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Next general election, autumn 2024. Allow a couple of years for a Labour government to enact the relevant legislation - autumn 2026. So that's five school years away. I'm pretty sure from what we've been told before that your younger child has been in secondary education for at least two years by now.

I think you'll see where I'm going with this...

Fair enough, and that should see them both free and clear.

But, there's the grandkids to consider (!) and I would be very much against the system being mullered. If you can't offer the Lower Middle Classes the aspiration of upward social mobility, the system will collapse and everyone will end up living in brutalist concrete tower blocks and queuing 8 hours at a time for their ration of stale black bread and cabbage.  I've never been one for pulling the ladder up behind one.  Rather, I'd like to see more ladders, wider ladders and ladders lowered so more people can make the first rung. Just can't let Keir Stalin send the commissars in to take over our private schools like that.  That would be nothing short of a mass ladder burning. Anyway, so far as I'm concerned, there's no way back for him now he's shown this monumental lack of judgment. Just like the last election, we're caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Rinse. Dom Cummings, dangerous lunatic though he may be, was right about that; that kind of choice is no kind of choice.

Mind you, I did get a bit visceral back there, sorry about that.

Mind you, the Left will destroy the Starminator and triumph by making the Labour party profoundly unelectable (again), so I reckon Boris could just about do anything he wanted barring gunning down Her Majesty and the Great British Public would complacently leave him in power.  A Tory Brutus is more likely to bring him down than the Labour Party.

2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Why? He was a lawyer?

Sorry, couldn’t resist, but it is possible to break the law but be morally right, and to be legal but immoral.

I was being generous to the CPS, and mindful that Boris sets a rather low bar when it comes to morality!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

was being generous to the CPS, and mindful that Boris sets a rather low bar when it comes to morality

Is that a pun on the fact that barristers practice at the bar?

(As do ballet dancers.)

• RMweb Gold

Mind you, the Left will destroy the Starminator and triumph by making the Labour party profoundly unelectable (again), so I reckon Boris could just about do anything he wanted barring gunning down Her Majesty and the Great British Public would complacently leave him in power. 

What we lack in this country is a basically centre-left party. 
Well, we have one vaguely in the shape of the LDs, but their spectacular misreading of the election results in 2010 plus their own lunatic fringe that enjoys making policies based on what pleases them, in the belief that they won’t ever get a chance to exercise power and need show no restraint or thought about the costs, means that no one trusts them.

Similar thing happened with the SDP: one guy who thought he was God’s gift to Daily Mail readers and was obviously craving for power, one who spoke with a lisp and had zero appeal to most voters, a woman who was a bit bossy but was probably capable, and some bloke no one had heard of, even after he was ennobled. Right idea, right policies - actually closer to what most labour voters of the time believed - but definitely the wrong persons…

A Tory Brutus is more likely to bring [Boris] down than the Labour Party.

Ah, but Boris did play Brutus, calculating that supporting Brexit would win over the swivel-eyed loons in his party (on social and welfare matters, Boris had previously been rather to the left of most of his party - probably in case he needed more child support) whether or not the referendum went in favour of leaving, and thereby stabbing the equally useless but slightly better behaved DC right in front of everyone.

Actually, it was Decius who did the dirty deed: a loyal and close aide who turned on his “master”.

Brutus committed suicide two years after the assassination of Julius Caesar, because he was losing heavily to Octavian, aka Emperor Augustus Caesar. Decimus had been killed six months earlier, by Augustus. 
Unfortunately, I think Boris turned out to be Brutus, but has not been beaten by an Octavian, rather he has transmogrified into the latter himself. Dom Cummings, on the other hand, probably was Decimus and has paid the price, at least politically.

Nasty times we live in.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Regularity said:

What we lack in this country is a basically centre-left party. 

Well, as you go on to explain, we do actually have one, it's just that it is not an effective force and is not treated by the electorate as a credible force.

Well, we have one vaguely in the shape of the LDs, but their spectacular misreading of the election results in 2010 plus their own lunatic fringe that enjoys making policies based on what pleases them, in the belief that they won’t ever get a chance to exercise power and need show no restraint or thought about the costs, means that no one trusts them.

Similar thing happened with the SDP: one guy who thought he was God’s gift to Daily Mail readers and was obviously craving for power, one who spoke with a lisp and had zero appeal to most voters, a woman who was a bit bossy but was probably capable, and some bloke no one had heard of, even after he was ennobled. Right idea, right policies - actually closer to what most labour voters of the time believed - but definitely the wrong persons…

I increasingly come to the reluctant conclusion that the fact that there is an insufficiently large natural constituency to return a truly centre-left party to power is rather a sad indictment of the British electorate and the generation long poisoning of its minds by Murdoch.

Ah, but Boris did play Brutus, calculating that supporting Brexit would win over the swivel-eyed loons in his party (on social and welfare matters, Boris had previously been rather to the left of most of his party - probably in case he needed more child support) whether or not the referendum went in favour of leaving, and thereby stabbing the equally useless but slightly better behaved DC right in front of everyone.

Actually, it was Decius who did the dirty deed: a loyal and close aide who turned on his “master”.

Brutus committed suicide two years after the assassination of Julius Caesar, because he was losing heavily to Octavian, aka Emperor Augustus Caesar. Decimus had been killed six months earlier, by Augustus. 
Unfortunately, I think Boris turned out to be Brutus, but has not been beaten by an Octavian, rather he has transmogrified into the latter himself. Dom Cummings, on the other hand, probably was Decimus and has paid the price, at least politically.

Indeed, but then, Brutus, at least as Shakespeare portrayed him, was troubled with a conscience and was prepared to make sacrifices.  He was not, so far as we know, a freeloading, casually mendacious, popularity obsessed buffoon. 

Nasty times we live in.

Nastier by the day.

And I no longer have any respect for the leader of the opposition.  Either he believes in economic policies as bonkersly left-wing as Corbyn, but gets away with it by looking like an accountant instead of dressing up like Lenin, which, if you read profiles of him has always been a disturbing possibility, or he has succumbed in desperation to cheap popularism.  If the former, he's a Fool.  if the latter, he's a Rogue. Either way, he can't be trusted and is certainly not the, rather unexciting, but safe, pair of hands that he was sold as. 

• Like 2

The UK does not have a centre party. What it has is a centre left sub-party (A segment of Labour) and a centre right sub-party (a segment of the Tories).

Occasionally a free vote is given in parliament on an issue, where the politicians are allowed to vote according to their consciences, free from the whips. Maybe the whips should be dispensed with altogether.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It now appears that the Muppets at the top are flexing their muscles to address the important issues at hand in the country yet again... 

Yeap when you travel abroad we are no longer allowed to display a GB, this has been changed to UK with what looks like immediate effect!

What does this actually say about how the Bonkers party feel about the country? 

I'll miss being GB and I'm not that sure I'm UK...

Andy G

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, CKPR said:

I stand corrected - classics was never my strong point and as for Ancient History, it always seemed like a right carry on to me.

That wasn't so much the classics you got wrong, so much as a classic... ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Recalling her leather trousers, more a Mrs Whiplash?

:scared:

That image may stay with me for the rest of my life.

Not one to savour, except as a very effective way to put me off anything enjoyable, such as breathing.

39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Aren't The Classics something to do with horses?

I thought they had something to do with orange coloured paperbacks, with a flightless sea-avian on the front.

But me, I just went to the local comp (can also be spelt with "du" rather than "co") across the road: didn't do any of that fancy stuff like learnin'... 

• Friendly/supportive 3