Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

11 hours ago, CKPR said:

Living in the badlands of the Marches, all planning decisions are made to suit the purveyors of  expensive identikit houses such as  B*rd*r O*k and their competitors , all of whom churn out the same factory produced vaguely scandimodern wooden houses for baby boomer retirees. The current batch are being built down the road from our place on what was previously stables and waterlogged rough pasture prone to flooding...

Similar thing happenned here, half-arsed job by the developer to fill in a swampy site. 

Turns out to be not a good move as the council marked affected properties as at risk so developers now have to buy back up to  1000 homes (to 'reassure" the owners that there is nothing wrong with them!)

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/15/western-sydney-lendlease-to-buy-back-up-to-841-homes-at-jordan-springs-east-site

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Annie said:

And to change the subject.  The first tunnel for the City Rail project here in Auckland (NZ) broke through today.

I was reading the other day about the Severn Tunnel. On the day the headings met, Gooch had a distinguished guest - possibly Sir John Hawkshaw, the engineer of the tunnel; I forget (and don't have the book to hand). After lunch (no doubt a substantial Victorian affair) they went down to the headings and crawled through the hole - with some difficulty, according to Gooch's diary. Gooch was 67 and Hawkshaw (if it was he) 69. I have an image in my mind of these elderly Victorian worthies stuck, pooh-like, in the hole with much pushing and pulling from the workmen.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

Boris, where's my booster?

Over 50s must wait to be contacted.

Well, I'm six days away from the minimum six-month interval between second dose and booster, and the NHS up here has been very efficient and ahead of the curve in the national vaccine rollout to date, so no worries yet.

It's just that I do get the feeling that HMG, never very quick off the mark in this crisis, is not quite as concerned about how things are going or particularly deserving of my confidence right now, and I'm just waiting for Uncle Fester and the Mayor of Shark City to F- it up!

Has anyone here had the booster yet?

I am conscious that it's not over yet, even though it was bottom of the agenda at Cabinet this week.  

223 Covid deaths recorded yesterday; highest daily death figure since March.

The UK has, I believe, reached 162,620 Covid-related deaths so far.  

• Friendly/supportive 7

If you follow the ‘coming out of lockdown’ thread, a few people have said they’ve received, or are booked for, boosters, but what I don’t know is how old they might be (70+ I suspect) or whether they might be classed as ‘vulnerable’. Three pals of mine, all in their 70s have been boosted.

It seems impossible to book a shot if you are healthy and in your 50s or 60s, and neither my good lady (possibly still slightly immunosuppressed) or her sister (suffers chronic arthritis) have been ‘called up’, despite it being over 6 months since their second jab.

Oh, and now brother in law actually has Covid, so sister in law is potentially exposed to it.

My confidence is no greater than yours!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Friendly/supportive 8

18 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Our blue envelopes came in last week with appointments for our flu jags this Friday and 'for those eligible' Covid boosters. As it happens that will be 6 months to the day from when we got our second Covid jags, so fully expecting our booster. Bonus is it's being done locally in the Municipal Hall, so only a 10 minute walk!  :D

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, I'm six days away from the minimum six-month interval between second dose and booster, and the NHS up here has been very efficient and ahead of the curve in the national vaccine rollout to date, so no worries yet.

It's just that I do get the feeling that HMG, never very quick off the mark in this crisis, is not quite as concerned about how things are going or particularly deserving of my confidence right now, and I'm just waiting for Uncle Fester and the Mayor of Shark City to F- it up!

I am conscious that it's not over yet, even though it was bottom of the agenda at Cabinet this week.  

223 Covid deaths recorded yesterday; highest daily death figure since March.

The UK has, I believe, reached 162,620 Covid-related deaths so far.  

I'm three weeks away from the 'sixth month interval', and am Type2 Diabetic.

Have not heard yet about either the 'Booster' or this year's 'Flu Jab'

I expect to hear about the former from the national system, since it was through that that my vaccinations were arranged.

I'm not sure what's happening about the 'Flu Jab', but I will trust my GP practice to process me eventually.

I have to contact them quite often anyway, and am very aware of some of the stresses they are under.

Like you I am very concerned about our national behaviour and the current Government attitude.

Edited by drmditch
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

we are a month past 6 months and have heard nothing yet. I had my flue jab at work, But SWMBO has heard nothing from the GP about hers..

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

You have stated your future electoral allegiance to him over a single unrelated issue (whilst simultaneously complaining about people who voted for Brexit on a single-issue basis) so why on Earth do you think he will listen to you, let alone care?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

42 minutes ago, Regularity said:

You have stated your future electoral allegiance to him over a single unrelated issue (whilst simultaneously complaining about people who voted for Brexit on a single-issue basis) so why on Earth do you think he will listen to you, let alone care?

Assuming that was more than rhetorical:

- In effect I shall be voting against a Marxist assault on my children's education, though I accept that I must sup with a very long spoon in order to do. It is Keir Starmer's fault that I must now vote against him; no one made him threaten my children's education, not even Boris, he managed that all by himself. QED he is equally unfit to lead this country, but, since Boris isn't directly threatening my children's education, he can stay producing more of the rope that will undoubtedly eventually hang him. The ultimate outcome there is not in doubt.

- BREXIT was a single issue - that being generally how a referendum works - so that tends to be the basis upon which people vote in them. 

- It seems fairly clear that Boris only listens to the Daily Telegraph and only cares about himself, and it was not I trust implicit in my post that I might have thought otherwise! 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

BREXIT was a single issue - that being generally how a referendum works - so that tends to be the basis upon which people vote in them. 

When it finally came about, I was rather pleased it was a straight ''either/or'' question!

So many times [especially with surveys], the questions are so skewed as to not really give one the desired choice...but rather, no choice at all.

Had Blair or his vague successor [or, the Liberals?] had their way, we would have had a referendum with no choices at all.

Personally I am old school...I never voted to join the EU in the first place...and was rather disappointed when De Gaulle upped and karked-it..so removing the one immovable block to our earlier marriage...

Now it looks like we will possibly see a France taken back to her attitudes of the 19th century?   If current media are anything like accurate regarding Macron's potential successor?

12 minutes ago, alastairq said:

When it finally came about, I was rather pleased it was a straight ''either/or'' question!

So many times [especially with surveys], the questions are so skewed as to not really give one the desired choice...but rather, no choice at all.

Had Blair or his vague successor [or, the Liberals?] had their way, we would have had a referendum with no choices at all.

Personally I am old school...I never voted to join the EU in the first place...and was rather disappointed when De Gaulle upped and karked-it..so removing the one immovable block to our earlier marriage...

Now it looks like we will possibly see a France taken back to her attitudes of the 19th century?   If current media are anything like accurate regarding Macron's potential successor?

Yes, a simple binary choice between the known, though imperfectly understood, and the complete unknown.

Sometimes I do wonder if the Spartans had a point about Athens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, a simple binary choice between the known, though imperfectly understood, and the complete unknown.

Both side were 'unknowns', especially when tying oneself into a very long term agreement!

Unless one wants to limit  the choice between an 'unknown [but possibly bright?] future', and ''same old, same old?''

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

so why on Earth do you think he will listen to you, let alone care?

I read it as a sort of invocation of a deity.

I have begun to understand how the Roman Emperors could come to be seen as divine.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Got a NHS letter exactly 6 months (to the day!) after second jab, inviting me to get a Booster jab 

SWMBO got her invite to same time scale two weeks ago . Both at Pop-up Vaccination sites , Mine was accompanied by a choir practice (Christmas Carols) in another part of the building.

Our local GP surgery  say they have no idea when, or if, they will get supplies of Covid boosters, but we did get 'flu jabs there last week end.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, DonB said:

Got a NHS letter exactly 6 months (to the day!) after second jab, inviting me to get a Booster jab 

Our GP's website affirms that we will be offered the combined flu and covid booster six months and one day after the second covid vaccination, which for me will be 22 November. They specify Pfizer, having used Astrazenica for the first two.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Today, it seems, is not to be a good day. My dog, my sole and loving companion, is dying.  May not be around much for a time. 

The loss of a dear and loyal friend  is always and very painful event.  My sympathies James

• Thanks 1

Mate, that's awful. I dont know what else to say.

My dog got me through a marriage collapse and made up for only seeing my child once a week.

She passed on over 5 years ago now and I still miss her every day. I know how you'd be feeling.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 3