Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

By coincidence, there was a programme on the radio here earlier about the science of venomous animals, and anti-venoms, and that super-deadly snake got star-billing. Apparently, in one bite it delivers enough venom to kill its prey 2000 (or maybe it was 20000) times over, and they even explained why such overkill is advantageous: the prey drops dead in the bat of an eyelid, which saves the snake the trouble and danger of hanging onto the creature while it goes through the prolonged death-agonies typical of most snake bites.

So, actually, it is a merciful snake, if you look at it that way.

• Funny 3

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

By coincidence, there was a programme on the radio here earlier about the science of venomous animals, and anti-venoms, and that super-deadly snake got star-billing. Apparently, in one bite it delivers enough venom to kill its prey 2000 (or maybe it was 20000) times over, and they even explained why such overkill is advantageous: the prey drops dead in the bat of an eyelid, which saves the snake the trouble and danger of hanging onto the creature while it goes through the prolonged death-agonies typical of most snake bites.

Yes and that snake can kill me 2000 times and get away without even a warning, but if I was to merely just hit it with a shovel its a $10,000 fine and two years in jail.  Yet another example of me as a white middle class male aged 40 to 60 getting unfairly prejudiced against.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, wagonman said:

I've always thought of Geoffrey Cox as an expensive lawyer who occasionally moonlights as an MP.

Look at the positive side to it: think of the damage he could cause to our legal framework if he actually turned up at the Palace of Westminster to do the job he was elected to do!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, now we understand the reasoning behind the nuclear stockpiles of the USA, USSR and China.

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yes and that snake can kill me 2000 times and get away without even a warning, but if I was to merely just hit it with a shovel its a $10,000 fine and two years in jail. 

''Conservationalism gone mad!''

St Patrick

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yet another example of me as a white middle class male aged 40 to 60 getting unfairly prejudiced against.

As such, my Radio tells me daily that I am immensely privileged and oppressive.

I keep asking it, ''well, in that case, when is the fun going to start?!?''

Edited by Edwardian
correcting fecking autocorrect
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Regularity said:

Look at the positive side to it: think of the damage he could cause to our legal framework if he actually turned up at the Palace of Westminster to do the job he was elected to do!

As I recall, he did, while Attorney General. It also seems to me that his votes in absentia contribute to the damage currently being done. 

59 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

As such, my Radio tells me daily that I am immensely privileged and oppressive.

I keep asking it, ''well, in that case, when is the fun going to start?!?''

Sorry, you're too late. For that, you needed to have been born in the 1860s not the 1960s. 

17 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Had this in my backyard 3 weeks ago, luckily its only the worlds second deadliest snake (the first one lives a bit further west of here) so I just poked it with a stick a few times. 

862953275_PXL_20211017_030433129.MP(1).jpg.0bec5a69544bb2b76ae412ecc1a1a366.jpg

The poking of the Earth's fauna (including its most dominant species) with a stick never seems to be able to elicit a positive response.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, rocor said:

The poking of the Earth's fauna (including its most dominant species) with a stick never seems to be able to elicit a positive response.

But I  don't imagine @monkeysarefun was particularly wanting a positive response! :nono:  Indeed that could have had a negative result as far as he was concerned!

Jim

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

But I  don't imagine @monkeysarefun was particularly wanting a positive response! :nono:  Indeed that could have had a negative result as far as he was concerned!

Jim

Its what sticks are for!

For instance I bet the guy in  this picture whos probably inside somewhere wearing a labcoat  wishes he was outside where theres sticks so he could have a bit of a poke at this.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/12/gargantuan-funnel-web-nicknamed-megaspider-donated-to-lifesaving-program

And as for  our  funnel web spider milking facility that gets a mention  - dont try it in your tea, tastes shocking.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

All you’ll ever need to know on that subject

Clearly never reached the Antipodes.

Gotta admit, I had to turn on the subtitles for that!

Which didnt make more sense of some bits of it than I could -  for instance whats a "In his best quite a swell with a stick with an Aussie said under the furnish that Woolworths could sell"? 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta admit, I had to turn on the subtitles for that!

Which didnt make more sense of some bits of it than I could -  for instance whats a "In his best quite a swell with a stick with an Aussie said under the furnish that Woolworths could sell"? 

Plainly you didn't have relatives from the 'old country' who still spoke in their regional dialects.  As a kiddie I grew up surrounded by such folk and I found it absolutely delightful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

See thae folk as dinae understaun English!

Translation :- In his Sunday best clothing, looking very smart, with a stick with a handle in the form of a horses head, the best quality stocked by the (now defunct) shop called Woolworths (which sold a wide variety of things and was not the same as your supermarket by the same name).

HTH

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

See thae folk as dinae understaun English!

Translation :- In his Sunday best clothing, looking very smart, with a stick with a handle in the form of a horses head, the best quality stocked by the (now defunct) shop called Woolworths (which sold a wide variety of things and was not the same as your supermarket by the same name).

HTH

Jim

I could have done with you when I went to see Trainspotting back in the day. That made no sense to me. And where were the trains?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/11/2021 at 21:29, Nearholmer said:

All you’ll ever need to know on that subject

Clearly never reached the Antipodes.

When I was about nine my friend and I 'set up' our rather prim teacher to read this monologue to the class.  It all went according to plan as she had perforce to read right through to the end and of course the last sentence contained one of the rudest adjectives we knew.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2