Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Just one point with regard to the US.

Many immigrants moved to the States to escape War and Repression.  Perhaps the current problems are, because the current Generations of North Americans have forgotten this part of their history.

A similar situation occurred when a large majority in the USA believed Iraq was an adjoining country, rather than halfway round the world!

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Word added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/11/2021 at 15:34, Compound2632 said:

Our government is arranging for this anyway, to the detriment of our already hard-pressed farmers.

Vide my comments on Marks & Spencer. In that case, I don't even have the option of changing the model I own.

Fortunately for all and sundry, I'm not yet reduced to the "no components at all" option.

I don't have too much sympathy with farmers, the vast majority of whom voted for Brexit and Johnson and who are thus hoist on their own petard.

On the second point, I'm wearing a pair of M&S 'slim fit' jeans which are indeed a good fit, and so cheap I try hard not to think how or where they were made. Gone are the days when M&S only used British sweat shops...

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, wagonman said:

I don't have too much sympathy with farmers, the vast majority of whom voted for Brexit and Johnson and who are thus hoist on their own petard.

I have in mind the Lunesdale hill farm where we stay every summer - rather more marginal than a lowland dairy or arable farm and dependent on its small dairy herd (about 15 - 20 cows in milk) for regular income and Eid for lamb sales - the bottom having fallen out of the market for wool. Certainly not Brexiteers.

6 minutes ago, wagonman said:

On the second point, I'm wearing a pair of M&S 'slim fit' jeans which are indeed a good fit

I don't have that much sympathy for people who can get into slim fit jeans - envy, possibly!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

A similar situation occurred when a large majority in the USA believed Iraq was an adjoining country, rather than halfway round the world!

Up here in Yorkshire, t’Iraq is usually found in shopping centres, often near places like Accessorize…

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

7 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Just one point with regard to the US.

Perhaps the current problems are, because the current Generations of North Americans have forgotten this part of their history.

Paul

The ones who support book banning and burning are the very  same ones who lined up yesterday to denounce the censure of Republican Senator Paul Gosar because he posted an animated video of himself slitting the throat of  a democrat senator. 

"What happenned to free speech - our fundamental right that separates America from other countries ?"  They bleated. 

I'm so over them and their  75 million racist antivaxx ignorant gun fetishising god bothering cap on backwards stupid goatee beard wearing  supporters  who think this is all ok.

They still haven't left the dark ages let alone learned from any other stage of history. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The ones who support book banning and burning are the very  same ones who lined up yesterday to denounce the censure of Republican Senator Paul Gosar because he posted an animated video of himself slitting the throat of  a democrat senator. 

"What happenned to free speech - our fundamental right that separates America from other countries ?"  They bleated. 

I'm so over them and their  75 million racist antivaxx ignorant gun pervy  god bothering cap on backwards stupid goatee beard wearing  supporters  who think this is all ok.

They still haven't left the dark ages let alone learned from any other stage of history. 

I remember a quote from many years ago that went something like:

"America is the only empire in the history of the world that has travelled from barbarism to decadence without passing through civilisation en route."

I've ever been of the opinion that if people are burning books, the wrong items are on fire.

John 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've ever been of the opinion that if people are burning books, the wrong items are on fire.

Seems a tad harsh, but I get the point.

We shouldn’t get too complacent here in the U.K. though, given that the current Secretary of State for Culture etc has been appointed specifically to harry the BBC, and has now claimed that social media has been “hijacked by left-wingers”, which seems to me about as bonkers an assessment of where the dangers in social media lie as it is possible to make. 

As an aside, it struck me yesterday that if you translate said secretary of state’s job title into German, it instantly brings to mind images of Josef Goebbels.

Which in turn reminded me of the disturbing fact that the man who wrote the very best history of tinplate toy and model trains was a propagandist who worked directly for Goebbels.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Seems a tad harsh, but I get the point.

We shouldn’t get too complacent here in the U.K. though, given that the current Secretary of State for Culture etc has been appointed specifically to harry the BBC, and has now claimed that social media has been “hijacked by left-wingers”, which seems to me about as bonkers an assessment of where the dangers in social media lie as it is possible to make. 

As an aside, it struck me yesterday that if you translate said secretary of state’s job title into German, it instantly brings to mind images of Josef Goebbels.

Which in turn reminded me of the disturbing fact that the man who wrote the very best history of tinplate toy and model trains was a propagandist who worked directly for Goebbels.

If you put Goebbels and culture in proximity what comes to mind is 'Wenn ich Kultur hoere entsichere ich meinen Browning.' (Loosely, 'When I hear the word "culture", I reach for my gun.') Although variously attributed to both Goebbels and Goering, it is, I think, a quotation from a play.

It is from a play, and it doesn’t actually say “reach”, the word is, I think, “entschnickete”, or something like that, which means “un-secure”, as in release the safety catch.

Which is all a bit train-spottery in terms of detail. Sorry!

I don’t think anyone would accuse ND of reaching for a gun, but she does seem overly keen to reach for her trusted guide, in the form of a particular newspaper.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

It is from a play, and it doesn’t actually say “reach”, the word is, I think, “entschnickete”, or something like that, which means “un-secure”, as in release the safety catch.

I did quote the original and said it was a loose translation. A 1930s audience would have got 'Browning' too, whilst we might think of Bisto.

• Funny 3

26 minutes ago, Welchester said:

I did quote the original and said it was a loose translation. A 1930s audience would have got 'Browning' too, whilst we might think of Bisto.

I always assumed it was a pun on Browning the poet as well as the gun-maker – in the context of Kultur it made sense to me. But then we had John Major saying how much he liked to go to bed with a Trollope (capital optional it seems).

When I hear the words 'Culture' and 'Dorries" in the same sentence, I reach for the aspirin...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Hope you have your masks handy. 

Never go out without mine.  Still compulsory here in shops, public transport etc.

Just wondering when the riots will start in Austria!  Ski-ing holiday anyone?

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

There is talk of a possible lockdown in Germany too – unfortunate as one of my colleagues has just gone to Germany for a family visit. The thought occurs that we could arrive at the absurd situation where the only 'traditional' German Weihnachtsmarkt will be the one held in ..... Birmingham

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, wagonman said:

But then we had John Major saying how much he liked to go to bed with a Trollope (capital optional it seems).

3 hours ago, alastairq said:

Really! No way to describe Edwina, surely?

1 hour ago, wagonman said:

It was Major's terminology, not mine...

And he chose so to do: he wasn’t forced to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wagonman said:

There is talk of a possible lockdown in Germany too – unfortunate as one of my colleagues has just gone to Germany for a family visit. The thought occurs that we could arrive at the absurd situation where the only 'traditional' German Weihnachtsmarkt will be the one held in ..... Birmingham

Or Edinburgh!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, wagonman said:

I always assumed it was a pun on Browning the poet as well as the gun-maker

Browning, who was not well up on slang, thought a  t w a t was an item of nun's clothing:

But at night, brother howlet, over the woods,
Toll the world to thy chantry;
Sing to the bats' sleek sisterhoods
Full complines with gallantry:
Then, owls and bats,
Cowls and twats,
Monks and nuns, in a cloister's moods,
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry!

From Pippa Passes

Edited by Welchester
Obscenity filter
  • Like 2