Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

There’s a big old cemetery in west London that has been de-whatever-ated and is now a park, with numerous gravestones still in place. It’s quite odd seeing people sunbathing and picnicking while lounging against C18th headstones. Just round the corner from Barons Court station should you wish to visit.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

We have a big crem right in the middle [dead centre??] of nowhere..

Miles from any town, but, erm, central?

Most graveyards are attached to village churches...aside from one into which someone had lobbed a massive rock sometime back in the past...

Not yet answered the question of what will 'replace' the crems, once fossil fuels are 'banned?' What will happen to the crems?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Most graveyards are attached to village churches.

Most towns of any size have 19th century municipal cemeteries, established to accommodate the burgeoning urban population, notably Nonconformists. I'm the holder of a 75-year lease on a double plot in a Roman Catholic cemetery, in which my parents are interred. It has a magnificent view over the city.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, alastairq said:

Not yet answered the question of what will 'replace' the crems, once fossil fuels are 'banned?' What will happen to the crems?

Perhaps they'll convert to electricity, like other industries. Electric cremation seems to be gaining some traction in the Netherlands and Germany, using cremators like this: Electric Cremator DFW Electric Cremation Furnace

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I hear on the wireless that one now needs ''a compelling reason'' to enter France.

Surely that was always the case, generally invasion or travelling to Tuscany.

And also (pace early c20 fiction) to go in search of wayward relatives who were pursuing art in a Paris atelier but hadn't been heard from for some time...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tom Burnham said:

And also (pace early c20 fiction) to go in search of wayward relatives who were pursuing art in a Paris atelier but hadn't been heard from for some time...

The Ambassadors - not without railway interest. As I recall, after landing at Liverpool, Strether falls victim to the whiles of the railway companies, being seduced into stopping off in Chester before going on to London, so the Old World rot sets in early. But was he taken in by London & North Western or Great Western propaganda?

• RMweb Premium

E03A5941-9FFB-45A2-9234-500C277DE735.jpeg.92e6e079f90fdaa0b1491d6a9dbdce0c.jpeg

You are invited to a recital of carols outside the Pantiles Inn, all your old favourites:

”Holy night, Silent Night,

positive test, not a soul in sight”

”O little town of Oswestry,

why did you vote Lib Dem.”

”In the bleak midwinter,

the Ashes went down the pan”

”Ding D*ng, merrily on high,

In pubs the bars are empty”

”I saw three RIBs come sailing in”

”The Holly and the Ivy,

will soak up greenhouse gas”

”In dulce jubilo,

let us our boosters show”

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 5

How to become a millionaire round these parts?

First nip down to Bridlington sea front after dark.....and half-inch a couple of those council life belts.

Then hot-foot back home, go snipping bits of a neighbour's holly bush, and gather a few bits of weed.

Tie the whole lot round each belt, and then go hang it on your electric gates!

The belts can go back and be slung down the  Bridlington promenade after New Year....No-one will notice, honest.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, alastairq said:

First nip down to Bridlington sea front after dark.....and half-inch a couple of those council life belts.

Not funny.

I am horrified that people can even consider intentional damage to life saving equipment.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Not funny.

I am horrified that people can even consider intentional damage to life saving equipment.

Hahahah

To be fair, i suspect most who take a dive after dark, having staggered out of the nearest pub, don't want to be hit over  the napper by some clown heaving a 70 year old lifebuoy in the general direction...

Anyway, in wintertime, the tide's out in Brid most of the time....More likely to end up with muddy socks.

[The newsreel shots of waves crashing over the so-called ''sea wall'' are specially arranged...volunteer firefighters and lots of hoses....]

Anyway, as mentioned, the old belts get put back and nobody even notices...

Don't get to be millionaires by being PC, for sure!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Anyway, in wintertime, the tide's out in Brid most of the time....More likely to end up with muddy socks.

Proof positive you don't live there.

The tide is driven by the moon (overlaid by the sun) and hits the shore twice per day - winter Spring autumn and summer..

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Proof positive you don't live there.

Not anymore I don't, thankfully..a real pit if ever there was one!

But I did live there for 6 or more years [and worked there for longer] 60 years ago! Plus, I've always lived within a reasonable distance, it being counted as one of the towns local to where I live now.

Believe me, the moon has nothing to do with Bridlington!

On 17/12/2021 at 11:54, alastairq said:

How to become a millionaire round these parts?

Then hot-foot back home, go snipping bits of a neighbour's holly bush, and gather a few bits of weed.

Tie the whole lot round each belt, and then go hang it on your electric gates!

The belts can go back and be slung down the  Bridlington promenade after New Year....No-one will notice, honest.

I admit that I have not been able to understand the reference.

Here though is an image, of a gate with a very much interfered with, lifebelt hanging upon it.

Photo-10-09-2018-15-32-54-1024x890.jpg.w

On 17/12/2021 at 11:06, alastairq said:

The only time I stepped foot in France,the place made me poorly....

But, i suppose, that was Marseilles for you? 

{Or, to be reet, it was Port de Bouc, pre-the oily crisis]

Had a friend who declined the invite to the D-Day landing reunions.

His reason?   " last time I went to France somebody shot at me" ( he was a Major in a tank regimen) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

In my village,there are a few converted large old properties....several of which have be purchased by millionaires. There are also a lot of rented cottages, in which many folk at the opposite end of the financial spectrum live.

Quite a mix really.

A rather typical rural Yorkshire Wolds village really.

But I guess folk have sought to live here due to the 'quality of life''.....certainly when compared to today's urban environments.

They still stop & chat when out taking their dogs for the 'walk'....I am but metres away from the hardcore countryside here..

But there's still a good proportion living behind their electric gates...