Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Birthday yesterday:

8DF017B0-0A03-41F0-963B-87D265A9062A.jpeg.287a215650f573bfa8a17b0a4b079a2c.jpeg

David Gulpilil the black actor in Walkabout died the other day.

There was a bit of a delay getting the news out due to the observance of the cultural tradition of not speaking a deceased persons name.

He also was 68.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Regularity said:

Birthday yesterday:

8DF017B0-0A03-41F0-963B-87D265A9062A.jpeg.287a215650f573bfa8a17b0a4b079a2c.jpeg

And it's 50 years since the 'Railway Children' was filmed.  Makes me feel old since I'm just a couple of years younger than our Jenny.

• Friendly/supportive 4

52 minutes ago, Annie said:

And it's 50 years since the 'Railway Children' was filmed.  Makes me feel old since I'm just a couple of years younger than our Jenny.

Members of the Yorkshire side of my family featured as extras in that film.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Probably not quite in the same league, but my bike is visible in a bike rack outside “The United Nations Building” in Superman IV …… the New York scenes for which were filmed locally at a combination of the railway station (UN building exterior), the HQ of Argos (Hyatt Hotel NY), a health club, etc etc. It all looks so unconvincing in the film that I’m not sure how they got away with it!

When the film was premiered locally, most of the dialogue was (mercifully) inaudible because people in the audience couldn’t prevent themselves blurting out loud “Look, there’s my bike/office/car/Aunty Mabel etc” at critical points.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Probably not quite in the same league, but my bike is visible in a bike rack outside “The United Nations Building” in .......

I thought that was going to end with North by Northwest, but I guess you're not quite that old!"

• Funny 2

12 hours ago, Annie said:

That is distinctly ageist, since I am some eight months older than the lovely Ms Agutter.

At the moment I suffer more from lockdown/isolation than the effects of age.

(Well except for xxx and yyy, and other things which I probably wouldn't hear about anyway!)

I'm envious of those boots though.

Anyway, on this first post-winter-solstice day of the year I must sort out a parcels train, finish writing cards, and add 'The Railway Children' to my winter re-reading list. (I think I remember which bookshelf I saw it on recently!)

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, drmditch said:

That is distinctly ageist,

Being called out for being 'ageist' when I'm an OAP myself feels a bit odd.  No matter how anyone wants to frame it time is slipping on by.  I still regard life as being an adventure though, - so I haven't given up yet.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Annie said:

Being called out for being 'ageist' when I'm an OAP myself feels a bit odd.  No matter how anyone wants to frame it time is slipping on by.  I still regard life as being an adventure though, - so I haven't given up yet.

Sorry, wasn't meaning to be rude. I'm struggling myself against definitions such as 'OAP' (although I am very grateful to Mr Lloyd George) and 'older person', or even just 'old'. I try not to be defined by my age. What most affects me are my years of my experience, compared with younger people, and I'm sure that every generation finds that.

I agree though - life continues to be an adventure - although I am annoyed with my left ear, which has recently become much more of a problem and I find myself echoing my 96-year-old aunt who has for many years complained about these 'young people speaking too fast'.

PS The above does not imply total approval of Mr LG, and his attitude and behaviour towards women. Just as well his name was taken of that B3.

PPS But perhaps NZ introduced retirement pensions without LG's influence?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do agree about the being defined by age thing.  I have a considerable amount of hard won life experience behind me as well as a number of years in a professional role working in clinics and hospitals; - and yet I know very well younger folk see me as a slow witted old dear with bad eyes wobbling along with her walking stick.

In 1898 the New Zealand government introduced a means-tested old-age pension for those 65 years and older.   It was considered to be one of the major achievements of Richard Seddon’s Liberal government.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, rocor said:

As to ageing, The Rolling Stones succinctly summed it up in the first line of a song, "What a drag it is getting old".

A song about taking an overdose, IIRC...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rocor said:

As to ageing, The Rolling Stones succinctly summed it up in the first line of a song, "What a drag it is getting old".

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, though, "The only thing worse than getting old is not getting old."

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Annie said:

So you're just a wean as well!:fan:

As I'm sure I've said before, growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional!  :jester:

Jim  (Who's 5 years ahead of young Jenny, which makes me 7 ahead of young Annie.)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

A song about taking an overdose, IIRC...

There is a certain ambiguity to the song, in that the main protagonist would appear to be middle-aged rather than elderly. The overdose seems unintentional due to the misuse of prescription drugs rather than an intention of committing suicide.

It is just possible I am overanalysing a fifty-five-year-old pop song.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

So you're just a wean as well!:fan:

As I'm sure I've said before, growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional!  :jester:

Jim  (Who's 5 years ahead of young Jenny, which makes me 7 ahead of young Annie.)

Inside myself I still feel like I'm 25 Jim, but when I want to try to do anything I quickly begin to feel my age.

What's that old saying? - youth is wasted on the young.

When I received my official letter from the government to say I was now an old age pensioner I said to my daughter that I hoped this didn't mean that I had to grow up and be sensible now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Inside myself I still feel like I'm 25 Jim, but when I want to try to do anything I quickly begin to feel my age.

What's that old saying? - youth is wasted on the young.

When I received my official letter from the government to say I was now an old age pensioner I said to my daughter that I hoped this didn't mean that I had to grow up and be sensible now.

However, I'm sure this doesn't apply to you.

https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/warning/

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite story  is The House at Pooh Corner, which isn't in this book, but the bee episode in this one is good too. I'm pretty invested in the whole Pooh business, having grown up within walking distance of The Forest, We used to go fishing at the pond in The Five Hundred, which is the prototype for The Hundred Aker Wood, and so forth.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I used to have a fragmented old copy of W-T-P which had been my Mum's when she was a girl.  My two now very grown up children certainly enjoyed me reading the stories to them when they were small.

• Like 1