Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm lucky, I learned to cook even in school, it's a basic survival skill. I taught the memsahib to cook because cookery classes were seen as outdated when she went to school.

A greater proportion of meals in this house have been devoid of meat since my elder son was bought Joy May's Nosh for Students and Vegetarian Nosh for Students. He's made great use of them both at Durham but they've been a hit with "Beatrice" too, especially the vegetarian book, as we've moved back from children's meals to our pre-children post-student cuisine.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I read recently someone describing vegans as the Provisional Wing of vegetarianism.

Speaking from a professional perspective, the human dentition is that of an omnivore.

I rest my case.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Will you include the offences in the two following years in the same charge?

I haven’t got to those yet in my coffee break re-living of the 1970s - something positive to look forward to as I move onward through flared trousers, and glam rock, heading towards the oil crisis, three day week, rampant inflation, etc, all of which passed the Railway Modeller by, as well they should.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I did play a few times for the school team, but, being of little use with the bat or ball and not having excelled behind the wicket, I ended up as long on, which meant I had the longest walk of anyone at the change of ends!

Jim

Add a left hand/right hand batting combination for bonus km.

Cross country here is a summer sport. If it got to more than 36 degrees they changed the route so we could stop off at the local pool for a quick cool down before the 3km return.

Winter was Aussie Rules football, looking back probably the most fun game I've played. Pretty much 90 minutes of running full tilt up and down the biggest playing area in sport, playing chasings and kicking the ball as far as you can so others can .chase it.  Like a game invented by Labradors.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

26 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I haven’t got to those yet in my coffee break re-living of the 1970s - something positive to look forward to as I move onward through flared trousers, and glam rock, heading towards the oil crisis, three day week, rampant inflation, etc, all of which passed the Railway Modeller by, as well they should.

Do the moustaches get bigger, like they did on 1970's cricketers?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

A game invented by labradors, I like that! 

We didn't have Aussie rules football, but there was an unofficial lunchtime game known as Death Football, which was fun and nobody actually got seriously hurt. Even some of the girls joined in. Because it was fun and actual sporting prowess counted for nothing, the teachers banned it.

My biggest hate was actual football (soccer to any US readers) You're a boy, you must be into football! Is there something wrong with you?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My biggest hate was actual football (soccer to any US readers) You're a boy, you must be into football! Is there something wrong with you?

Here until the 90's a liking of soccer was frowned upon and you were thought a bit suss. Its nickname was pretty racist because it was followed mainly by "ethnics".

There was a local league at the time but it was never covered unless the Serbian origin team played the Croatian origin team -  that made the news because violence always broke out in the crowd.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here until the 90's a liking of soccer was frowned upon and you were thought a bit suss. Its nickname was pretty racist because it was followed mainly by "ethnics".

You lucky dog. Over here, if you weren't obsessed with football from the minute you could walk you were seen as queer in every sense and became an absolute pariah.

Even PE teachers singled you out for ridicule. I was asked at the age of fifteen if I was quite normal and if I wouldn't rather go and play netball with the girls?

I replied that whilst the star players had been giggling at each others k**bs in the showers, some of us have been chasing girls and falling off motorbikes.

I got a cheer from the non sporty kids and kicked out of the class for the rest of the term.

I had to spend PE lessons next door in the art block. Such a punishment! :D

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Such oddities are part of the drive to recruit the eaters of "regular" food to the vegan ranks. One of the things that turned me back into an omnivore was the radicals, those who would stand in the queue in the university canteen and rant at anyone eating a burger. Now we have public demonstrations, demands, threats and general aggro.

When food becomes politicised, it's all getting silly. Unfortunately, I found as stated earlier, the loudest voices weren't so much concerned about the welfare of animals or the planet, more about bending everyone else to their very rigid world view.

The term "veganazis" is quite apt in some cases.

I'd like to point out though, that we don't subscribe to the opposite extreme either. We don't do fast food in this house, it's been detrimental to the health of the population for three decades now, but I suspect that is in part because you can press a button on your phone and receive far more food than you should be eating in minutes.

I'm lucky, I learned to cook even in school, it's a basic survival skill. I taught the memsahib to cook because cookery classes were seen as outdated when she went to school.

As someone who has health issues caused by liver and kidney damage and who almost a decade ago discovered that being vegan is a good way to keep my blood work at normal levels without having to take medication I understandably want no part of being associated with the nutter fringe.

Fast food though I can't really understand why anybody wants to eat the stuff.  Learning to cook is such a useful skill to have simply because if you know how to do it well you can save yourself so much money not to mention the benefits of eating a healthy and balanced diet.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Annie said:

As someone who has health issues caused by liver and kidney damage and who almost a decade ago discovered that being vegan is a good way to keep my blood work at normal levels without having to take medication I understandably want no part of being associated with the nutter fringe.

Fast food though I can't really understand why anybody wants to eat the stuff.  Learning to cook is such a useful skill to have simply because if you know how to do it well you can save yourself so much money not to mention the benefits of eating a healthy and balanced diet.

I can understand that completely. A lot of people have to be very careful what they eat. My father couldn't eat cucumber, it gave him such bad acid it caused him to vomit. 

My other half is severely allergic to certain types of fruit acid in the way that others are allergic to nuts. That complicates things, believe me.

I had a near death experience which resulted in several blood transfusions. Now I have to  regularly include fish and eggs in my diet otherwise I just run out of steam.

Other times, it's a matter of choice. An old friend of mine became a vegetarian in his early teens simply because his mother was a terrible cook! 

It really doesn't matter what you choose to eat, so long as you don't try to push your choice on others  by guilt, fear or force.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Annie said:

A guy working for the company I did got sent somewhere that I cant recall now, maybe somewhere in the middle east,  and lived solely on Mcdonalds cheeseburgers because they were the equivalent of 2 dollars or something and he didnt trust foreign food. After several months he came down with scurvy like he was an 18th century pirate but without the benefits of getting to plunder and pillage things. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

Those industrial burgers always seem like they've been pre-chewed to suit lazy eaters to me.

I despair when I see mothers fof toddlers eeding their sprogs a nice nourishing Gregg's sausage roll. No wonder they're fat and useless at fourteen.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It really doesn't matter what you choose to eat, so long as you don't try to push your choice on others  by guilt, fear or force.

Amen to that.

28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Those industrial burgers always seem like they've been pre-chewed to suit lazy eaters to me.

I despair when I see mothers of toddlers feeding their sprogs a nice nourishing Gregg's sausage roll. No wonder they're fat and useless at fourteen.

Poor nutrition is a major health problem in industrialised societies leading onto diabetes, heart problems, obesity and lower life expectancy.  The fast food corporates know very well that folk on the bottom of the heap with poor education and very little understanding of nutrition will buy their 'products' as an easy choice so they swamp their neighbourhoods  with their fast food outlets.

I can remember having a conversation with a woman who worked for McDonalds at corporate level and when I told her that I'd never eaten at a McDonalds 'restaurant' or purchased any of their takeaways, - her telling comment was, 'I don't eat that muck'.

35 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

A guy working for the company I did got sent somewhere that I cant recall now, maybe somewhere in the middle east,  and lived solely on Mcdonalds cheeseburgers because they were the equivalent of 2 dollars or something and he didnt trust foreign food. After several months he came down with scurvy like he was an 18th century pirate but without the benefits of getting to plunder and pillage things. 

Somewhere on the interwebs there's a report someone made about their experiment with eating nothing but 'food' from McDonalds.  From memory they monitored their weight, vital signs & etc and the results were more than a little disturbing.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

However many other wrongs you can point to, and add to the PM's wrongs, they won't sum to a right, because for every person who has bent, stretched, or broken the rules, hundreds of thousands of others have respected them to the letter, and a high percentage of those find his attitude over all this contemptible.

That said, clearly someone is drip-feeding this stuff into the public domain, and they must by definition be in opposition to the PM, but whether that means from outside his party, or inside it, is another question, to which none of us know the answer.

Not too hard to work out who.

My money is on a disgruntled ex-advisor also renowned for breaking Covid rules.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems to be becoming increasingly clear that highly processed foods are particularly bad for long term health.  Clearly this includes things such as Pot Noodles, Many pre-prepared meals etc.  but also things like Veggie burgers.  I wonder to what extent Tofu also falls into that category. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

My money is on a disgruntled ex-advisor also renowned for breaking Covid rules.

That thought had entered my mind too, but this has the feel of a concerted/organised attack, with a purpose, the purpose being a palace coup from the right of the PM’s own party. Just check on which MPs of his own party are twisting the knife most (ignore the Scots, that’s sheer desperation) and check-out for correlation with voting against anti-Covid precautions, and membership of “Conservative Way Forward”. The ex-adviser may well be part of it, but I don’t think he’s all of it.

Michael Gove has history with CWF, and he addressed the 1922 Committee last night, William Wragg was all over the BBC yesterday knifing the PM, and even Sajid Javid is linked to CWF. There are some real ‘head bangers’ around CWF too, and it has historically been linked to funders who also funded UKIP and Vote Leave.

So, what we might be about to witness is the replacement of soft “national populism” by hard small-state national populism at the helm. Truss or Gove in the chair, beholden to some very ideologically driven queen/king-makers https://bylinetimes.com/2021/12/14/steve-bakers-conservative-rebellion-tied-to-pro-trump-disinformation-network-bankrolled-by-robert-mercer/

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

So, what we might be about to witness is the replacement of soft “national populism” by hard small-state national populism at the helm. Gove in the chair, beholden to some very ideologically driven king-makers https://bylinetimes.com/2021/12/14/steve-bakers-conservative-rebellion-tied-to-pro-trump-disinformation-network-bankrolled-by-robert-mercer/

“going in the wrong direction,” Steve Baker, attributed to the Sunday Times, in the above article. Purposefully partially quoted (by me) to cast him in a different light for the sake of levity.

Edited by Regularity
Clarity.

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

despair when I see mothers fof toddlers feeding their sprogs a nice nourishing Gregg's sausage roll. No wonder they're fat and useless at fourteen.

They don't need to be anything else, now they have the unfettered access to tech?

• Agree 1