Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

I have tried ready meals in the past, both regular and unleaded. I didn't enjoy them because I was thinking what might be in it.

The expensive ready meals are just that and the cheap ones are cheap for a very good reason!

One of the regular commentators on TV's Gogglebox, who was a big girl to start with, described getting a 14" pizza, chicken nuggets and cheesy chips, layering up a pizza slice with nuggets and chips, placing another pizza slice on top and eating it like a sandwich.

Apparently, that's not unusual and of course, television affirms and validates such behaviour as perfectly okay.

I didn't eat like that working fourteen hour days laying pipelines in minus temperatures.

But if I say "oink", I run the risk of being shouted down for sexism and body shaming. 

Owen Paterson MP, £8,333 a month from Randox and £2,000 every other month from Lynn's Country Food

571616068_OwenPaterson.jpg.81e6f04069240533bc7446e4b3c4260e.jpg

Barry Gardiner MP, £400,000 from the Chinese Communist Party

1131882547_BarryGardiner.jpg.2f89db23ccfdcf552e7872d1053f75bd.jpg

Boris Johnson's integrity, worthlessoriginal.jpg.47537f3eaf05ed325cae5da90c278109.jpg

For everything else, there's

images.png.a445c04a02ff92ee78a92906b08d1602.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I thought I made that clear with my pizza example.  

Yes. I was agreeing with you.

But mostly it was the set-up for the “slow fast-food” gag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Owen Paterson MP, £8,333 a month from Randox and £2,000 every other month from Lynn's Country Food

571616068_OwenPaterson.jpg.81e6f04069240533bc7446e4b3c4260e.jpg

Barry Gardiner MP, £400,000 from the Chinese Communist Party

1131882547_BarryGardiner.jpg.2f89db23ccfdcf552e7872d1053f75bd.jpg

Boris Johnson's integrity, worthlessoriginal.jpg.47537f3eaf05ed325cae5da90c278109.jpg

For everything else, there's

images.png.a445c04a02ff92ee78a92906b08d1602.png

Meanwhile, in the land downunder:

post-22541-0-04670500-1506082994.jpg.f919fd6db47e6c7b7d4af1dd94145456.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You lucky dog. Over here, if you weren't obsessed with football from the minute you could walk you were seen as queer in every sense and became an absolute pariah.

Had that when I were a lad, but with the additional problem that if you weren't into something called heavy metal (apparently nothing to do with the upper end of the periodic table), then you were someone the other pariahs ignored.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

40 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Had that when I were a lad, but with the additional problem that if you weren't into something called heavy metal (apparently nothing to do with the upper end of the periodic table), then you were someone the other pariahs ignored.

Adrian

Yep, I remember that too. By the mid / late 80s heavy metal was for poseurs with guitars, little different to the glam rock from over a decade earlier. Divided into the hair rock and rock opera camps. They were all very middle class and looked down on the likes of me and my little group of friends as "greasers".

Not that I cared, I only ever got offended if referred to as a "biker". In the UK, that's a term for someone with long hair, a Harley Davidson or Meatloaf T shirt and more often than not, no motorcycle. 

I think that people didn't like the fact that they couldn't really put me into a neat little category, it messes up their perspective and makes them question their own position in society.

I haven't given it much thought for a couple of decades but it must have messed with their heads. 

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well it appears that Mr NoVax is going to be on the next plane out of Oz. Well done! Hopefully it will go to show that even those with wealth aren't above rules.

What I don't understand (well maybe I do*) is how long it took to make the decision. I always thought that you personally had to fill out your visa card (Not your staff) and therefore had to take the responsibility for what is on it. If this isn't a reason enough, then there is the blatant disregard for other peoples health by wandering around while infectious.

I bet there's going to be some sort of hissy fit from him, but frankly he deserves the deportation, and I would like his UK visit to similarly be cut short.

Well done!

Andy G

* I'm guessing so that if he challenges it, it won't be heard in court until sometime next week, which would be after the tennis has started, so there is effectively no point...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Well it appears that Mr NoVax is going to be on the next plane out of Oz. Well done! Hopefully it will go to show that even those with wealth aren't above rules.

What I don't understand (well maybe I do*) is how long it took to make the decision. I always thought that you personally had to fill out your visa card (Not your staff) and therefore had to take the responsibility for what is on it. If this isn't a reason enough, then there is the blatant disregard for other peoples health by wandering around while infectious.

I bet there's going to be some sort of hissy fit from him, but frankly he deserves the deportation, and I would like his UK visit to similarly be cut short.

Well done!

Andy G

* I'm guessing so that if he challenges it, it won't be heard in court until sometime next week, which would be after the tennis has started, so there is effectively no point...

Through the prism of the UK media at least, the affair does savour of knee-jerk popularism in its handling.  It would have been better had NoVax not been exempted in the first place; he would have known where he stood and hairy-chested crowd-pleasing would have been avoided.

That said, upholding the principle of consistency - one rule for everyone - and the frustration of those who consider they are entitled to exceptional treatment in matters of public health is probably the right outcome and sends an important message.  

Breaking news .......

Serbia delivers an Ultimatum to Australia and Mobilises!

tumblr_ndwjrvj1oL1szkmvlo1_1280.jpg.688c125e51a04658d2907df3d7ca28f3.jpg

• Funny 6

Last year my uncle who lived in Margaret River, WA passed away at the age of ninety. In order to get over from Melbourne to attend their fathers funeral, my two cousins had to notify the authorities before flying out. They were not able to take their wives and children. They were to stay at their father's house and not leave the property for any reason other than the funeral. On the day of their arrival, the police came round to check compliance. The next day they attended the funeral and the day after flew back home.

I hope that makes it a little clearer why the Australians in general are not happy with a spoit brat thinking that he's above the law.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

I hope that makes it a little clearer why the Australians in general are not happy with a spoit brat thinking that he's above the law.

I think that all nations get annoyed with spoilt tennis players who think they are above the law. It gets quite hard to deport some though.

B0DEFF80-49B8-4E3C-89AB-22F43DA690C1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Last year my uncle who lived in Margaret River, WA passed away at the age of ninety. In order to get over from Melbourne to attend their fathers funeral, my two cousins had to notify the authorities before flying out. They were not able to take their wives and children. They were to stay at their father's house and not leave the property for any reason other than the funeral. On the day of their arrival, the police came round to check compliance. The next day they attended the funeral and the day after flew back home.

Yes, people are justly resentful when they make sacrifices and accept restrictions while those with a bad dose of entitle-lism think the rules don't apply to them. I'm with the Australian public on this one and have very little sympathy with anti-vavxxers.

We are very sensible of this sort of hypocrisy in the UK right now.

We all remember April 2021 .....

Windsor Castle:

PRI212455848.jpg.aa07dac37ddb5d187b4225fe0fd10bd8.jpg

Downing Street: 

istockphoto-928580246-612x612.jpg.f989e7bf00b5458f9eb19c12709e2bc3.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
Forgetting what year it is/was!
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, people are justly resentful when they make sacrifices and accept restrictions while those with a bad dose of entitle-lism think the rules don't apply to them. I'm with the Australian public on this one and have very little sympathy with anti-vavxxers.

We are very sensible of this sort of hypocrisy in the UK right now.

We all remember April 2020 .....

Windsor Castle:

PRI212455848.jpg.aa07dac37ddb5d187b4225fe0fd10bd8.jpg

Downing Street: 

istockphoto-928580246-612x612.jpg.f989e7bf00b5458f9eb19c12709e2bc3.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, who are the bunch of bearded berks?

There are quite a few uninhabited islands off the British coast, some very dreary or otherwise unpleasant, which could be used as accommodation without technically resorting to deportation. Choice between rocky, windswept, and thick with guano, and low-lying, marshy and fog-bound.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

There are quite a few uninhabited islands off the British coast, some very dreary or otherwise unpleasant, which could be used as accommodation without technically resorting to deportation. Choice between rocky, windswept, and thick with guano, and low-lying, marshy and fog-bound.

That would upset the former London graphic designers etc who have moved out there "to live a more pastoral existence", so it's a win all round!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Forgive my ignorance, who are the bunch of bearded berks?

They're intended to represent No. 10 staffers. I'm sure James recognises the weak point in his case: that's not actually a photo of a No. 10 party - unless he has evidence otherwise? But the rhetorical point is made.

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

There are quite a few uninhabited islands off the British coast

There's something wrong with me this morning (as usual). I read that as uninhibited islands. I was struggling to think of any since they're mostly occupied by Scots Presbyterians, monasteries, or other protected species.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The thing about remote islands is that you can never be totally sure what goes on once the ferry departs, taking with it the last tourist of the season with it.

It might go some way towards explaining why sheep always look disgusted....

• Funny 1

Here was a time when we could have sent ( er, Transported)  Boris to OZ, but some fool changed the law, and also allowed the Australians to control their own destiny, of which recent events have shown that they are quite capable. 

Edited by DonB
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In a rare move I contacted my MP about the PM actions and how it is so unsavory to so many, including myself. I thought it would be the right thing to do to let them know how the population feels.

I was somewhat disappointed (No I really was, for about 2 seconds) when I heard them on the Radio saying that we should all accept the apology and move on... It seems that clinging on to power is the most important thing here, keeping close to the main man incase there is some other job morsel to have...

My MP? Well none other that the amazing Cheese Lady herself....

Andy G

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3