Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Brechin City used to be considered the strongest team in the Scottish League, as they were usually at the bottom of the lowest division and therefore holding everyone else above them!

As a life-long supporter follower of the Cobblers (NTFC), I know what you mean…

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yeovil Town seemed to perform a similar function down here for a while. We went to watch our local heroes play them several years back, and it turned into an embarrassing thrashing, where we almost didn't want our lot to score any more goals, because it seemed like bad manners. I think they've done a bit better more recently. Our lot have certainly done worse.

My wife and children well remember Reading v. Yeovil Town at the Madejski Stadium some years ago, when cheap family tickets were available through a scheme run by Reading F.C. (Looking it up, 1 March 2014, in the Championship when Reading were contending for a promotion play-off spot and Yeovil were fighting to get out of the relegation zone.) Yeovil got an early goal; Reading pushed back in the second half eliciting some outrageously dirty play from Yeovil, who ended up on eight men; Reading did equalise - forcing an own goal. 

Our memory is of the next season I think, the very last match of the season. Yeovil had no possibility of getting out of relegation by then, but MK had to win by a margin to get promoted on goal difference. Possibly the most fun football match I’ve ever been to, and I’m not into football!

• Like 1

Even I have been to a few football matches, it's a day out with your mates. The most entertaining was when I was about thirteen and went with three friends to watch Leicester vs Chelsea. Leicester won and we got chased outside the ground by a gang of Chelsea fans (who all appeared to be grown men) so we ducked into Vic Berry's junkyard and spent an entertaining couple of hours climbing around the piles of wrecked locos that were stacked up as if they were old cars.

Both football ground and yard are long gone now I hear.

LAst football match I ever spectated., AFAIR, would have been a match at Villa's ground during the 1966 world cup!

One of the World cup teams was billeted at a hotel near Sutton Coldfield at the time....again, as far as I can recall.

I was but  a lesser spotted teeny ager at the time.....Entry tickets acquired via my school, I suspect? Or maybe the BoySprouts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Regularity said:

As a life-long supporter follower of the Cobblers (NTFC), I know what you mean…

ISTR they had their moment, in the 60s, but not for long.  They were promoted from the Fourth Division to the First Division within five years. However, they only lasted for one season in the top tier and had returned to the Fourth Division by 1969, moving from the fourth tier to the first tier and back in only nine years.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Even I have been to a few football matches, it's a day out with your mates. The most entertaining was when I was about thirteen and went with three friends to watch Leicester vs Chelsea. Leicester won and we got chased outside the ground by a gang of Chelsea fans (who all appeared to be grown men) so we ducked into Vic Berry's junkyard and spent an entertaining couple of hours climbing around the piles of wrecked locos that were stacked up as if they were old cars.

Both football ground and yard are long gone now I hear.

In November 1967 (I think) some friends who were Man Utd supporters at a college in London invited me to join them when United played at Chelsea, an opportunity to see their then 'all star' team in action.  The MU supporters were at the ground really early, nearly all wearing away colours scarves (blue/white), which I thought odd, as they would be playing in red and white.  All was soon revealed.  When the turnstiles opened there were so many MU fans at the Shed End they managed to occupy 'The Shed', our group amongst them.  There were skirmishes at the edges of the Shed End, and we made sure to get away from the ground rapidly when we left.

• RMweb Premium

1966 Dad made us sit and watch the world cup final on TV,

Some time in the late 1960's Dad took me to a football match, Andover Town verses someone... it rained all day

Some time in the late 1960's the school took us to watch Oxford Uni verses Cambridge Uni at Wembley it rained all day..

My interest in football...

0-0

Edited by TheQ
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

ISTR they had their moment, in the 60s, but not for long.  They were promoted from the Fourth Division to the First Division within five years. However, they only lasted for one season in the top tier and had returned to the Fourth Division by 1969, moving from the fourth tier to the first tier and back in only nine years.

Yes, spent two seasons in Division 2 on the way down, but otherwise straight up and straight back down.

Interesting asides: when relegated from the first division in 1966, they had a then record highest points for a relegated team. Jimmy Greaves used to quip that the miracle of 1966 was not that England won the World Cup, so much as that Northampton Town had been playing football in the first division…

By the time I went to my first game, we were so poor that we had just been re-elected: what used to happen before automatic promotion from the semi-professional leagues.

Still, it did ingrain in me two important life lessons:

1) I was prepared and able to cope with supporting England in most competitions in most sports, as coming first was a rare event;

2) I learned early on that in anything competitive, there is ultimately one winner, and then everyone else.

Edited by Regularity
Life lessons.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wagonman said:

i have only ever attended one football match, at White Hart Lane, and that was only because I was being paid. Apparently I missed the only goal as I had already the stadium.

I only knew when something was happening because we suddenly got crushed against the railings in the stands. Probably saw about five minutes of players running about the whole game.

• Like 1

Quote, unquote ....

https://youtu.be/FaJpP4Ztp1g

Apparently not all too familiar to him; "I don't know what quotation he's alluding to" bumbled Boris, author of a Churchill for (and by) Dummies biography (I know, I actually read it, having a spare five minutes one day).  

I note David Davis referred to Leo Amery's famous deployment of the quote, and it took the BBC's Laura Kuenessberg about 24 hours to start refer to it as by Cromwell, suggesting she's had to look it up in the meantime. Journalists, they know nothing!

As I recall they were the words with which the Regicide chose to dismiss the Rump Parliament.

Be that as it may, I would have expected anyone with a modicum of education (or, even, just a subscription to the History Channel or some such) to be aware of its deployment against Chamberlain,.  I think I can recall someone like Lord Boothby retelling the episode in the World at War documentary series. 

Boothby once had to resign a ministerial post for failing to declare an interest when asking a parliamentary question. Plus ça change

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I only knew when something was happening because we suddenly got crushed against the railings in the stands. Probably saw about five minutes of players running about the whole game.

It's probably much better/safer on the telly! And cheaper.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Quote, unquote ....

Apparently not all too familiar to him; "I don't know what quotation he's alluding to" bumbled Boris, author of a Churchill for (and by) Dummies biography (I know, I actually read it, having a spare five minutes one day).  

I note David Davis referred to Leo Amery's famous deployment of the quote, and it took the BBC's Laura Kuenessberg about 24 hours to start refer to it as by Cromwell, suggesting she's had to look it up in the meantime. Journalists, they know nothing!

As I recall they were the words with which the Regicide chose to dismiss the Rump Parliament.

Be that as it may, I would have expected anyone with a modicum of education (or, even, just a subscription to the History Channel or some such) to be aware of its deployment against Chamberlain,.  I think I can recall someone like Lord Boothby retelling the episode in the World at War documentary series. 

Boothby once had to resign a ministerial post for failing to declare an interest when asking a parliamentary question. Plus ça change

Boris Johnson doesn't do detail. That said it is shaming that he is unaware of the quotation that led directly to his hero Churchill becoming PM. Perhaps, unlike you, he hasn't read his book on the subject?

Quote, unquote ....

Boris Johnson doesn't do detail. That said it is shaming that he is unaware of the quotation that led directly to his hero Churchill becoming PM. Perhaps, unlike you, he hasn't read his book on the subject?

Just now, wagonman said:

If he does go, I wonder who will end up as the nation's Aunt Sally whilst everything else carries on as usual?

• RMweb Premium

Quote, unquote ....

So at least one copy was sold.

• Funny 3

42 minutes ago, Welchester said:

So at least one copy was sold.

The Memsahib bought it. Her thought process was that she was (then) a Boris fan and I like history.

It is a physically thick tome, but intellectually thinner than a Prime Minister's excuse, so, takes about five minutes to read, even though that's five minutes I'll never get back and could have spent doing almost anything else and yet still employed my time to better effect (watching paint dry, or, even, tennis, springs to mind).

It cannot sensibly regarded as history, or biography, or historical biography. It's really more like Boris' Bumper Book of Why Churchill was Great (and why I'm just like him!), subtitled See what I did there? Gosh, I'm clever!

It's worth a read if only to dismiss any lingering credence one might give to the notion that beneath the raffish tomfoolery there must be a reasonably sharp mind, after all, the Natural Party of Government chose him to become Prime Minister.  The book is the sort of thing that an idiot would write, thinking he'd been terribly clever and brilliant. It's a book written by someone with absolutely nothing going on up top. Except stupid hair.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yep, I recognised it for that straight away, but now you mention Amery I remember that too. But, I only recognised it because I spent fifteen years an “English Civil War” anorak.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Anyway, when it comes to getting shot of the current PM: be careful what you wish for.

IMO, there is an acute danger that someone with a big ego (leaves plenty of choices), a really, really weak character,  and thin support within their party, will be carried into office by a bunch of head-bangers who then use him/her as their creature. They’ve warmed-up for it, and got the current PM dancing like a puppet on strings, but he’s probably not quite dependant enough upon them for their purposes.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

It certainly won't be anyone that we wish for. As I said earlier, it will be some random that will become the focus of the public's hate whilst everything carries on as normal, with attention deflected from whoever is really pulling the strings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The tory MP who 'defected' to Labour, begs a question on my mind?  Was he [she?] one of the tory newbies who were trampled into power at the last election?

Plus....how happy would his/her electorate be?

Did they vote for the individual as an MP?

Or did they vote for the party that they realised would get us out of the EU's clutches?

If the latter, how happy would they be to wake up & find they have a 'party' they didn't vote for initially?

Indeed, should they even be woken up at all?

• Like 1