Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

King or Queen of the kingdoms of Scotland

But, might there be alternative claimants for any of the sub-realms created? Kings over the water, a bus driver in Wolverhampton who can demonstrate direct descent from the last true monarch of independent Mercia, or that bloke from Pwllheli who participates in every available historical reenactment, and takes it all just a tiny bit too seriously?

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

But, might there be alternative claimants for any of the sub-realms created? Kings over the water, a bus driver in Wolverhampton who can demonstrate direct descent from the last true monarch of independent Mercia, or that bloke from Pwllheli who participates in every available historical reenactment, and takes it all just a tiny bit too seriously?

Yes, I suppose that an unintended consequence might be a Game of Thrones between that bloke from Pwllheli (surname 'Tudor'?), some Stuart Pretender recognised as the true King of England by President Macron in a fit of pique over fish, submarines or just Somerset brie, and the bogus claims of a 'bus driver in Wolverhampton whose bogus candidacy is promoted secretly by Russia via multiple fake social media accounts.

Pass the popcorn ....

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

nobody really seems to know whether the Middle Saxons actually bothered to have a royal family or not. 

It seems that from the earlies times London was a juicy morsel passed around between whoever happened to be in the ascendant out of Kent, East Anglia, Mercia, or Wessex.

Might that be a model to prevent the malign dominance of the Great Wen in a devolved England? Responsibility for Greater London passed around between the provinces on, say, a series of seven-year leases?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

On the subject of further devolving powers from Westminster, to the regions of the UK. One area that could prove to be contentious is taxation.

I can not see the raising of taxes being permitted at the Parish Council level though, and the spending of revenue would properly be restricted to the purchase of tea and biscuits for consumption at meetings of the Council.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

It seems that from the earlies times London was a juicy morsel passed around between whoever happened to be in the ascendant out of Kent, East Anglia, Mercia, or Wessex.

1 minute ago, rocor said:

I can not see the raising of taxes being permitted at the Parish Council level though, and the spending of revenue would properly be restricted to the purchase of tea and biscuits for consumption at meetings of the Council.

Our Town Council receives a mite out of the Council Tax we pay to our Borough Council. The problem is really one of redistribution of wealth between the regions but we have that problem already anyway.

• RMweb Gold

A fry of mine was opposed to the ERM (going back a bit!) because, “The economic focus of Germany cannot be applied directly to Greece.” (Very prescient of him!) Ergo, the UK was better off out of it.

I suggested that in light of this, the Northeast of England should declare itself a sovereign republic with its own currency, as its needs were so far away from London’s money markets as to make Greece’s then economy to have monetary needs which appeared all but identical to Germany’s…

Subdivision leads to to subdivision: where does one stop?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe you missed where this fantasy began: the creation of a European federal super-state. That wouldn’t be subdivision, it would be unification.

It's been done before, several times over the millennia, with varying degrees of success and duration. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, rocor said:

Even the humble Parish Council is entitled to request a precept from its parent local authority, which adds that into the Council Tax for the appropriate Parish. As our local unitary authority progressively reduces services (because it is getting less funding from central government), the Parish Council may be the only way to patch over the cracks. 

And if you think there is tea and biscuits, dream on!

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, I can happily see a fantasy United Kingdom with a Windsor as King or Queen of the kingdoms of Scotland, Wessex, Mercia and Northumberland and their offspring as Prince or Princess of Wales.  

Would I still get her birthday off?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe you missed where this fantasy began: the creation of a European federal super-state. That wouldn’t be subdivision, it would be unification.

Maybe you missed the rest of my post? I was arguing against someone who proposed subdivision as an alternative to unification…

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Regularity said:

Malcom, you are making comments about her based on her skin colour.

Some of these are valid: despite not having a white skin herself, she supports a white supremacist. Fair enough: suggests a degree of ridiculousness if not impaired intellect (although maybe she does genuinely believe herself to be inferior just because she has less Neanderthal DNA, and hence darker skin). But the pejorative “coconut” perpetuates the idea that cultural differences are based on race. Since culture is a sociological concept, and “race” has no scientific basis, this is a racist term no matter who uses it.

I'm sorry but I don't do PC - nor do people lecture me on my behaviour. It's a simple rule I live by. You'll just have to accept that. ;)  

It is actually a term popularised by Afro-Americans and also indigenous Australians. If they're happy with it so am I.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Would I still get her birthday off?

I used to as a Civil Servant...{really a bit of a title, rather than a job description].

Our local management, some years ago now, I've been retired that long.....decided they would try to include the Queen's Official Birthday 'day orff'...as part of our 'leave' entitlement.

All went well for the management, until the 'powers-that-were' politely told the management they were in fact, insulting the Crown...which was a bit of a flummox for the management, seeing as they were mostly military personnel [Colonels and stuffs]...Apparently the day orff wasn't a 'holiday' for leave purposes, but a 'present' from the Queen to her loyal servants [The Civil Service]....to say 'thank you'....

I met her once, in person, and totally 'unofficially'...when she happend to 'visit' our Establishment when being flown back 'home' from an 'Official visit' , somewhere 'locally'...She got out of her car to talk to some military personnel standing nearby, and I happened to have my small son in arms, and she came over and started chatting, to myself and one or two of my colleagues....very natural, very pleasant person indeed...This was a non-public thing too....no ropes or barriers either....My son, aged nearly 4 , had been to 'work' with Daddy , on that day....and his Uncle as well [when Dad was off doing his workie things], a conflict of parental care occuring at home...[The Civil Service prided itself on providing creche facilities at all establishments......Ours was in 'name' only]........All purely by chance, as we had very little notice that Her Majesty was flying orff from our RAF spot..[we had an RAF ASR flight on site]...in a Queen's Flight hellycopflop [as my son called them at the time]  

The whole event made absolutely no impression on my son whatsoever......

Mind, i was the sort of 'civilian' who had a habit of calling colonels and things, 'chum'.....and they couldn't complain, either....ranks and things meaning nought in my mind...they were all bods, like my colleagues, all there to do a job using our skills....Respect was an 'earned' thing....Many military 'managers' dreaded having a mixed workforce to manage, as managing civilians was  a bit like herding cats to them.....But I cannot recall one who didn't go away with a whole new outlook on life afterwards....we had a habit of 'civilianizing' them...[to quote one departing Commandant]

Best 20 years of my working life, that job was.  Despite the rubbish pay!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I'm sorry but I don't do PC - nor do people lecture me on my behaviour. It's a simple rule I live by. You'll just have to accept that. ;)  

It is actually a term popularised by Afro-Americans and also indigenous Australians. If they're happy with it so am I.

That’s BS x 2. Actually, it’s BS squared.

Firstly, this isn’t about being PC, simply about respecting people - you seem to have difficulty with this concept, as whilst you are being disrespectful, you expect others to be respectful of you.

Secondly, it doesn’t matter where it originated, a racial slur is still a racial slur - end of.

With every single atom of respect due to you, and precisely no more nor no less, using racial slurs makes you a bigot. Trying to excuse it along the lines of “They started it,” makes you a childish bigot.

Finally, this isn’t a lecture on your behaviour (if you genuinely thought you had done nothing wrong, you wouldn’t have tried to make that point): it’s an individual calling you out for what you are, a racist.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, a Mac user. Now there's a Minority.

Ah, I am part of a minority group.

Other than being white, middle class, educated, male, English and egalitarian. 
I suppose that’s the easiest way to be able to afford a Mac - although every time I am forced to use a PC, I am reminded why I haven’t bought one since 2004!

• Moderators
On 02/11/2021 at 21:35, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I thought coconut was reasonably retrained. If I had expressed my actual feelings :angry: I suspect I would have been banned. ;) 

No; it's an unacceptable term and (whether you think I am lecturing you I care not one scrap) it is not phraseology which is acceptable or accepted on here. You have no choice in that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Might that be a model to prevent the malign dominance of the Great Wen in a devolved England? Responsibility for Greater London passed around between the provinces on, say, a series of seven-year leases?

I was certain you were gong to write "Might that be a model to prevent the malign dominance of the Great Western..."

• Funny 4