Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

15 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Until very recently you knew that anyone in choppy waters who had been given the 'full backing' of the PM would soon be reseated on the back benches. 

Maybe the current PM subscribes to the notion, that it is better to have potential troublesome elements inside his tent spraying tainted water outwards.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I leave you with a message from our Prime Minster:    

"there must be no bullying and no harassment" (from Boris Johnson's forward to the current edition of the Ministerial Code).    

Clearly that statement means different things for different people.

I think the Parish Council is being unnecessarily harsh on poor old BJ*. After all, he had no choice but to allow the Home Secretary to remain in place, because she had taken away his dinner money and told him she would keep doing it if he fired her.

* I am told that a BJ can leave a nasty taste in the mouth, but I find that hard to swallow...

In response to this

17 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Putting my neck out there, but if she were male and white I do wonder whether she'd still be in office.

I believe that like the Chancellor of the Exchequer, her “popularity” amongst the swivel-eyed loons is partly down to window-dressing: “How can we be a racist party with Rishi and Priti in such high positions?” 
(Akin to, “Some of my friends are black/gay/whatever.”)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

In the news ....

This year's Tenbury Wells mistletoe auction, an event that has occurred annually since the 1860s, has fallen victim to Covid 19 and been cancelled.

the-tenbury-mistletoe-festival.jpg.7e95489bf67b468ef54005864ac0a02d.jpg

Jeremy Corbyn commented that he "was present, but not involved"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Tenbury Wells, which is just up the road from us, has lost both it's mistletoe auction and it's apple festival this year - I think the latter is of more recent origin than the mistletoe auction. There was, of course, a station at Tenbury Wells on the old  GWR line from Kidderminster to Wooferton [which is visible from our front window], which makes me wonder whether there were any mistletoe specials  run back in the day.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Tenbury Wells, which is just up the road from us, has lost both it's mistletoe auction and it's apple festival this year - I think the latter is of more recent origin than the mistletoe auction. There was, of course, a station at Tenbury Wells on the old  GWR line from Kidderminster to Wooferton [which is visible from our front window], which makes me wonder whether there were any mistletoe specials  run back in the day.

I suppose railwaymen's reminiscences of mistletoe traffic would be catalogued under "kiss and tell" stories.

Why has the market for mistletoe collapsed? It would be perfectly permissible* to kiss other people in one's own household bubble - or is the reckoning that after nine months of being cooped up together most households are well past the kissing stage?

*Permissible does not imply acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, rocor said:

Maybe the current PM subscribes to the notion, that it is better to have potential troublesome elements inside his tent spraying tainted water outwards.

That seems to explain the composition of the entire cabinet. Sadly, being a troublesome element has no direct link to having intellectual substance.  

Best wishes

Eric 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Just listening to Any Questions on Radio Four.

For the sake of Norfolk, can someone from Fakenham who isn't a moron please call the programme and restore the balance?

Is that possible?

I am not (necessarily) refer to the good people of Norfolk (there must be some good people in a County with such fine churches and no motorways) but to the kind of person that phones into “Any Answers”...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 21/11/2020 at 13:38, CKPR said:

I have no idea if there were 'Mistletoe Specials', but there were certainly many specials related to the local production of fruit and hops - especially with regard to the transportation of seasonal workers. These groups were reported to get quite rowdy (Perhaps from the fruits of the Teme Valley.) - and railway staff took to locking the carriage doors to prevent groups of them inadvertently exiting the train at the wrong station(s) on the return journey to the Black Country. Extra sidings were added at Newnham Bridge to cater for the hop & fruit traffic in the late summer and autumn - quite a tonnage, whereas the mistletoe would only have filled a couple of parcel vans.

Edited by Methuselah
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 22/11/2020 at 01:36, Edwardian said:

Just listening to Any Questions on Radio Four.

For the sake of Norfolk, can someone from Fakenham who isn't a moron please call the programme and restore the balance?

If Fakenham was the answer what in heaven's name could the question have been .......... 

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

If Fakenham was the answer what in heaven's name could the question have been .......... 

"I see that fraudster has been seen selling dodgy goods in Cheshire and Norfolk ''

"Altrincham ? "

"Yes, and Fakenham "

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, wagonman said:

I knew* a lady who lived in Fakenham and was very definitely not a moron... but she moved away.

* not in any biblical sense, in case of doubt.

To paraphrase a famous Kiwii jibe, thus increasing the average IQ of both places?

I'm afraid that Intellectual Blight is not limited to Fakenham, and I am sure it is merely Fakenham's bad luck that a sufferer from there chose to expose his condition so thoroughly on national radio.

11 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

If the reference was to Whittlesey, I'd probably have countered with:

"If I have a wife, a sister, a mother and an aunt, what is the minimum number of female relatives I can have?" 

• Funny 6

Hmmmm ......... if you read the account, it is apparent that their absence was noticed fairly swiftly, so either someone in the library then forgot about it (!), or decided not to fess-up, or, my favoured theory, did raise it to the appropriate level, but the whole thing was then "handled discreetly" to avoid reputational damage at the time.

Old brooms retire, new broom arrives, considers plans for an exhibition, ............. Oh!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Classic mistake of trying to ram far too much track in with no obvious logic too.

55 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The plan evolved.

Why oh why did they remove the groan button?

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Old Kev’s Almanac forecasts that these notebooks will reappear as mysteriously as they disappeared. The Almanac hints at the possibility that the announcement of their loss has been carefully timed, a few weeks/months after the passing of a particular respected researcher, at about the sort of stage when his personal effects might get sorted-through by someone other than him for the first time.

Of course, with them will come Darwin’s never-completed first draft for the book that would have eclipsed “On the Origin of Species”: “Fifty Nine Plans for Small Railways”.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

A mysterious metal monolith has been found planted in the ground in a remote part of the United States.

The truth is out there.........

Though as a person who has a problem with a sleep disorder I do have to say that counting sheep from a helicopter sounds awfully dangerous to me. 

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9