Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

21 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I dip into this topic from time to time and would now be grateful if someone can tell me what it has to with pre-group modelling. Shouldn't it be in the Wheeltappers section?

The proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905, are a strangely singular entity. It could be regarded as an experimental culture that has been allowed to grow upon a petri dish. The object is to see if its disparate clusters can maintain healthy growth, without authority from its main body being lost.

We do have Andy giving us a watchful oversight though, with a bottle of bleach at the ready to enact emergency termination measures should things suddenly get out of control.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, rocor said:

We do have Andy giving us a watchful oversight though, with a bottle of bleach at the ready to enact emergency termination measures should things suddenly get out of control.

Indeed, I understood that it was the perceived risk to the Castle Aching thread that lead to these discussions being separately minuted.

• Agree 3

Indeed, Proceedings is the overspill for anything anyone wants to say that does not fall within even the tremendously elastic concept of relevance that applies to CA, or, indeed, anything too dangerous. 

So, it is here, in Proceedings, not there, for instance, that I would mention how amused I am that the Museum of London has acquired a giant orange man-baby balloon.

EDIT: I actually forgot which of those topics I was posting it!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So, it is here, in Proceedings, not there, for instance, that I would mention how amused I am that the Museum of London has acquired a giant orange man-baby balloon.

Pray tell:

Trump, Johnson, or George Dawes on a day out?

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I think the point is to avoid that SFAIRP.

Ive got a potentially controversial thread on the go in wheeltappers, and 95% of the time it remains civilised, but very occasionally someone will burst in and throw hand-grenades about just for fun ..... too much of that kills conversation very quickly. 

I like your thread, I got to post a video of an angry bin man there even though its about Covid lockdowns.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But of course you must allow the exemptions for people in vulnerable categories, such as cabinet ministers.

Or international tennis ,in our case.

Boo hoo I arrived from overseas and they put me in qurantine boo hoo they wont let me out to practice hitting a ball over a net boo hoo I hate the food boo hoo theres a mouse in  my room.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

13 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

My comment was simply based upon the fact that this thread appears within the "Pre-Grouping - Modelling & Prototype" section of RMweb, but on the occasions recently when I have dipped into it, as a pre-group modeller, I saw nothing which reflected that heading. I thought that, as such a wide ranging discussion, but apparently not pre-group or prototype as far as I could see, it might be better placed in Wheeltappers where it might attract more followers.

However, as I have apparently upset your sensibilities, I shall withdraw totally and leave you to discuss ducks and whatever else takes your fancy.

Don't worry Jol - apparently there are some who take their levity more seriously than others.

I honestly try to adhere to the principle that levity should be taken seriously but then I fall about laughing and that's it.  Mind you if we were talking about Swamis then levitation is a serious matter and fails miserably if you start laughing. :rtfm:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was reading in this morning's Manchester Guardian that innocuous social media forums are being hijacked by the deluded proponents of far-right conspiracy theories who then post all sorts of inappropriate and dangerous nonsense on said forums. Luckily, the chances of this happening to the CA Parish Council are about the same as an invasion from Mars in 1898. By the way, I found this link that I thought I should share with you all...I think it's part of some sort of secret plan to replace all the older engines by 1938. 107695163_3263051573756516_2992117293263

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, CKPR said:

I was reading in this morning's Manchester Guardian that innocuous social media forums are being hijacked by the deluded proponents of far-right conspiracy theories who then post all sorts of inappropriate and dangerous nonsense on said forums. Luckily, the chances of this happening to the CA Parish Council are about the same as an invasion from Mars in 1898. By the way, I found this link that I thought I should share with you all...I think it's part of some sort of secret plan in the future to replace all the older engines !107695163_3263051573756516_2992117293263

Hummm. Someone's been trying to make a 4F out of Triang L1 parts.

• Funny 6

11 minutes ago, CKPR said:

innocuous social media forums are being hijacked by the deluded proponents of far-right conspiracy theories who then post all sorts of inappropriate and dangerous nonsense

By what definition does this qualify as ‘news’?

The bit that still astounds me is that even in tiny little local news/chat groups, one such bonkers-post sparks lots of agreement - it’s as if ever e-conversation needs a grumpily centrist person to chip-in and ‘call’ the rubbish, because that then corrects the balance - a lot of participants are really sheep-like and will follow the ‘leader’ in the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

By what definition does this qualify as ‘news’?

By its appearance in the abovementioned bastion of the liberal tradition. It has long had a liberal interpretation of what constitutes "news".

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, CKPR said:

I was reading in this morning's Manchester Guardian that innocuous social media forums are being hijacked by the deluded proponents of far-right conspiracy theories who then post all sorts of inappropriate and dangerous nonsense on said forums.

It had occurred to me that some of the rubbish that is posted and forms part of the reasoning of BAME (I hate the term) persons to reject vaccination is being deliberately circulated by white supremacists to help reduce the numbers of BAME within the community.

Comments of the vaccine having been made from/with pig or cow components has a ring of the Indian mutiny.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Yes, there are a lot of what US-speak calls "bad actors" about, deliberately fomenting discord, amateur ones, privately-funded freelance ones, professional ones with red hats, professional ones with fur hats, other professional ones, religiously-inspired ones of multiple stamps, etc. 

The interesting/frightening thing is that the techniques of radicalisation, the tools that are used to wind-up semi-autonomous actors, that were perfected by middle-eastern terrorist groups are now so well-understood that almost everybody knows how to whip up a storm in their own interests. Some of the techniques originated in British colonial secret services, then got honed by the CIA; Graham Greene pinned a lot of it nearly seventy years ago.

It is not nice living in a world deliberately made mad. Didn't the outgoing PoTUS talk yesterday about "The movement we have started only just beginning."? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, CKPR said:

I was reading in this morning's Manchester Guardian that innocuous social media forums are being hijacked by the deluded proponents of far-right conspiracy theories who then post all sorts of inappropriate and dangerous nonsense on said forums. Luckily, the chances of this happening to the CA Parish Council are about the same as an invasion from Mars in 1898. By the way, I found this link that I thought I should share with you all...I think it's part of some sort of secret plan to replace all the older engines by 1938.107695163_3263051573756516_2992117293263

I could not find an image of 1938, so here is one of her sisters 1935. :D

1935.jpg

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4