Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, I can report that the AsraZeneca vaccine definitely works as I'm experiencing the principal side effects - lassitude, headache, and a general indifference to the government's next actions.

Hmm, I'm wondering how I'll tell I've got side effects

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

The word is, that if you're suffering some side effects, particularly after the AZ jab,its that you may have had a mild case of covid in the past.  I had the Pfizer jab a few weeks ago, without much effect, apart from an aching arm and a bit more than the usual lethargy...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Hmm, I'm wondering how I'll tell I've got side effects

Quite.

Roughly 10% of those in the trial who received the vaccine reported side effects.

This was only slightly higher than for those who received the placebo...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, I have an all-day Zoom mediation the day after I'm jabbed, so that might be fun!

If you see lots of posts on RMWeb from me that day, it'll be because it helps me concentrate on what everyone else in the meeting is saying.  

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, I have an all-day Zoom mediation the day after I'm jabbed, so that might be fun!

I'm still not quite all there. I read that as Zoom meditation and thought you'd taken up some form of eastern mysticism. You've been reading GERS literature again, haven't you?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You've been reading GERS literature again, haven't you?

I just about sprayed my morning cup of tea across the room when I read that Stephen.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Living in Australia does have its benefits but at the cost of at times not having a clue what this thread is going on about.

Its like I'm back in the '70's listening to Queensland premier and  way-ahead-of-his-time-Trump- wannabe-before-Trump-was-even

-invented  Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen on one of his good days.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its like I'm back in the '70's listening to Queensland premier and  way-ahead-of-his-time-Trump- wannabe-before-Trump-was-even

-invented  Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen on one of his good days.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CKPR said:

I remember when I first heard that song, initially wasn't sure who it was referring to until the gerrymander bit - then it was instantly obvious.

Here's the results of the 1972 QLD election. If the Castle Aching Parish Council wants a lesson from the  gerrymandering expert they could do worse than study the  table.

Due to the "Bjelkemander" that he'd devised the Joh Bjelke led Country party (hayseed rednecks) was returned to power despite the polling below...

jbp.jpg.90070040f7bd3e4cc014a61910f3f78c.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

What a relief to learn that the picture below does not represent a detention centre or a sinister forced labour camp instituted by a genocidal authoritarian regime - a misapprehension I learn that results from 'lies of the century'.

Glad that's been cleared up.

64f1bc12-5bd9-11ea-ac5e-df00963c20e6.jpeg.49752c4377db35512939096b0b11af74.jpeg

Let's get back to importing our plastic-crack (once the Suez Canal is unblocked, of course).

If I'm wrong, sanction me.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like an HS2 construction compound to me.

Are we on the outside looking in or the inside looking out?

Both in this particular case and for life in general.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Reminds me of Butlins Pwllheli, look!  They've even got Redcoats!

Must explain...  Many years ago, we were camping on the Llŷn Peninsula and one day our excursion took us past the place.  The Redcoats on the gates looked as if they were keeping the "happy residents" in....  :scared:

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

What a relief to learn that the picture below does not represent a detention centre or a sinister forced labour camp instituted by a genocidal authoritarian regime - a misapprehension I learn that results from 'lies of the century'.

Glad that's been cleared up.

64f1bc12-5bd9-11ea-ac5e-df00963c20e6.jpeg.49752c4377db35512939096b0b11af74.jpeg

Let's get back to importing our plastic-crack (once the Suez Canal is unblocked, of course).

If I'm wrong, sanction me.

An uncomfortable question for any nation's population to ask themselves. How do your local politicians view the regime of a "certain country", that has a questionable human rights history. Is it as an abomination that is to be condemned by all civilized nations?, or as a possible blueprint for the future?.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It's actually a place where everyone is leading a happy, fulfilling and productive life (according to publicity) and I assume the surrounding security is to prevent the locals trying to get in.  (believe that and you'll believe anything!)

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Are we on the outside looking in or the inside looking out?

I think that in this particular instance, it makes very little difference either way.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, Regularity said:

I think that in this particular instance, it makes very little difference either way.

I don't think those on the inside would see it that way!

Jim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I don't think those on the inside would see it that way!

Possibly not - and I wasn't being humorous, either - but from our perspective, it's a question of just a few or even fewer liberties being permitted. I suppose having one liberty (being able to outside the walls) is better than none, but if one has to return after hard labour, then that's a fine distinction.

By comparison, we are extremely well off.

Anyone put off by this can protest very effectively by not buying anything made in China.

• Agree 4

25 minutes ago, Regularity said:

By comparison, we are extremely well off.

Agreed, but did anyone notice the Kill Bill Act making it onto the statute book virtually unamended?

I didn't, because no one, not even my trusty R4, seems to have mentioned it.  I had to look it up.

And the latest horror?  Potentially the end of the right to peaceful protest in the UK. All it takes is a policeman to consider there is a 'risk' that you are causing someone serious 'annoyance' and then off you go, do not pass go, do not collect £200 but pay a large fine and/or go to gaol and enjoy your criminal record. 

We knew that Bozza feared criticism (he removed the right to peaceful protest carve-out from the Covid Regs for lockdown #2, just when he was starting to become unpopular, hence facilitating the recent heavy-handed police crack-down on the Clapham Reclaim the Streets protest, so heavy-handed that even the Home Secretary, with impeccable hypocrisy, signalled disapproval), but the implications of this latest Daily-Mail-Editorial-Made-Law are potentially devastating for a core democratic freedom.   

In future, we'll just have to gaze on enviously at French farmers bringing gridlock to Paris with their tractors.

Talk about sleep walking into authoritarianism .....  

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

We knew that Bozza feared criticism

He's shown all along that he cannot bear scrutiny of his actions. But ultimately what is whispered in secret will be proclaimed from the housetops.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2