Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A good set of minutes will record decisions but not the discussion leading to those decisions.

Boy, are you out of touch with the requirements of modern day corporate governance - but entirely appropriate for recreating the atmosphere of the Edwardian era!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Boy, are you out of touch with the requirements of modern day corporate governance - but entirely appropriate for recreating the atmosphere of the Edwardian era!

If this were really a modern British entity the council would be wholly owned by an independent company whose secretary would be an old lady in Dagenham, and its board would be made up of placeholders representing entities registered in the Cayman Islands. These in turn would be under the control of entities registered in Luxembourg, and these in turn would be under the control of entities registered in Jersey. The corporate headquarters of the West Norfolk would be in Dublin, and the name would be a trademark owned by an unknown person, but whose income would be paid into a numbered Swiss bank account. That income would consist of 100% of the profits of the West Norfolk, paid as fees for "use" of the trademark. Do keep up. I know much of this because I spent some time researching ownership of a North Pennines grouse moor.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That’s corporate structure and ownership, rather than governance, and has nothing to do with minute taking and the quality thereof, which is what Stephen and I were talking about. Governance is about how the ownership controls and operates a company, but not about who owns it.

CG is part of what I do for a living, which also includes ignoring straw men, so do pay attention to the subject matter, rather than going off at a tangent and telling people to keep up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

A good set of minutes will record not what you said, nor what you thought you said, but what you would have said, if you had thought.

As an old boss used to say, “Who controls the minutes, controls the meeting”. This was his justification for (a) getting me to take the minutes and (b) reviewing them before circulation...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

That’s corporate structure and ownership, rather than governance, and has nothing to do with minute taking and the quality thereof, which is what Stephen and I were talking about. Governance is about how the ownership controls and operates a company, but not about who owns it.

CG is part of what I do for a living, which also includes ignoring straw men, so do pay attention to the subject matter, rather than going off at a tangent and telling people to keep up.

Well then as you probably know the company's board of directors is the primary force influencing corporate governance, and in the sort of structures I described the governance structures will generally end up deliberately muddy, opaque and seriously compromised. By the way, your original comment was lightly humerous, as was mine, because we are posting on a comedy thread about a fictional railway.. This isn't a class in management procedures, which was part of what I did for a living before retiring. The whole thread is enjoyable precisely because it is just a series of tangents.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• sem34090 changed the title to Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Well then as you probably know the company's board of directors is the primary force influencing corporate governance, and in the sort of structures I described the governance structures will generally end up deliberately muddy, opaque and seriously compromised. By the way, your original comment was lightly humerous, as was mine, because we are posting on a comedy thread about a fictional railway.. This isn't a class in management procedures, which was part of what I did for a living before retiring. The whole thread is enjoyable precisely because it is just a series of tangents.

No, you were trying to be clever and to correct me by talking about a related topic as if it was the same thing. You failed in that and lost the humour as a consequence, and certainly subtracted from my enjoyment of the thread.

Not that anyone should care.

• RMweb Premium

Pikeman placed in Picardy.

10 hours ago, Regularity said:

I wrote from frustration at the uninformativeness of the minutes of Midland Railway board committee meetings on the things one would really want to know about. I also wearied of reading how many carriage windows had been broken each month - a standing item.

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Pikeman placed in Picardy.

I wrote from frustration at the uninformativeness of the minutes of Midland Railway board committee meetings on the things one would really want to know about. I also wearied of reading how many carriage windows had been broken each month - a standing item.

On the bright side, you can now model MR trains with the correct proportion of broken windows.

An so to bed

• Funny 6

Is that clip genuine, or an early trailer for the new Spitting Image.

I particularly enjoyed the long pause, and smattering of village cricket applause as 99% of the audience sat there thinking "Yeah. And???".

If that is modern jingoism, the country is going to the dogs.

• Agree 2

Strange thing about it is that there may be a genuine opportunity to ‘home grow’ at least more cheddar, a lot of which we seem to import from Ireland (didn’t we used to import mega-tons of it from Canada pre-EU?). But, that bizarre form of hyperbole won’t help.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Strange thing about it is that there may be a genuine opportunity to ‘home grow’ at least more cheddar, a lot of which we seem to import from Ireland (didn’t we used to import mega-tons of it from Canada pre-EU?). But, that bizarre form of hyperbole won’t help.

I think you need to focus on the positives here, we only have to re-secure the other 98% of our exports.

Well, 98% minus the vacuum cleaners now made in Singapore (not here, the real one).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is all rather missing the point. For many applications (?) English hard cheeses are no substitute for French soft cheeses, as I have no doubt many of her constituents are aware. I'm sure Liz Truss knows this, and those who applaud her know this; they are simply failing to apply their knowledge. It's the gas coal fiasco all over again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Worse than the cheese issue is that despite the fact that it is our national drink we import 100% of our tea. Whjat is wrong with Yorkshire tea eh? Whatever happened to Tetleys?

The Yorkshire tea plantations have all been grubbed up and turned into grouse moors. Oh, and Tetleys have gone back to making beer...   :-)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3