Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I wonder if football was the route of transmission

I think so, apparently there is talk of a Corona Virus Super League, made up of only the most successful variants (and Tottenham Hotspur).

• Funny 6

Strenuous physical exercise:

If you aren't careful, I will treat you to my detailed calculation of risk on this point, comparing walking 10m behind a person with the dreaded, being overtaken by a jogger with the dreaded at 2m, and being overtaken by a cyclist with the dreaded at 2m, taking into account the different respiration rates applicable. Suffice to say that walking gently along behind someone for several minutes, which very few people seem to worry about, is the greater risk, simply because of duration of exposure.

Packs of runners, and peletons of cyclists are, however, at enhanced risk, because they spend long durations breathing one another's exhausts.

Naturally, the calculation is full of reasoned assumptions, and its much more a relative, than an absolute thing.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I can think of one reason why it's good advice to walk 10 metres behind...[especially the significant other, whatever that means?]

Land mines?

My grandfather, who served in the Western Desert, recalled with distaste how minefields had caused the local Arabs to reverse their traditional order of march of man first, then pack animal, then womenfolk.

After all, one could always, if needs be, acquire another donkey, camel, or wife.  

It clearly offended my grandfather's sense of chivalry.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's perhaps worth recalling that green originally* signified caution, with white for all clear.

*In railway usage.

Until Abbots Ripton!

As for avoidance of the dreaded lurgy, listening to the science, we can’t!  All that can be done is to slow it down, but the little blighter mutates and spreads quicker!!!!!

Finally, history, studying the realities of previous Pandemics explains what will occur in the end.

I’m now going to watch a Black and White episode of Z cars

Paul

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Agree.  I am surrounded here by sheep.  As my neighbour, who farms them, remarks, "sheep are born to die".

Had to wrangle a lamb out of the lane only this week.  

I , too, can spend hours gazing out of my front room window  onto a field full of sheep.  [Note use of the word 'can?' The fact that I am able, bears no resemblance to what I actually gaze at]

The lambs are January's lot, so getting quite hefty.

They number........erm.....quite a lot. [done this way so I don't doze off again]

With regards to this 'sentience' thing heading my way from darn sarf, I notice a remarkable similarity between the behaviour of the lambs, all rushing about playing follow-my-leader....the leader chosen apparently at random...a process familiar with all those who study the characteristics of our government, and our general population?

Anyway, it struck me how alike our general population is, in its efforts to free themselves of the shackles of lockdown [long may it continue, for me!!!].....to the lambs over the road.....Sentient? Or just, similar in behaviour?

[What does sentient mean, anyway?]

No doubt I could see similar behaviour in any one of our airports?

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Packs of runners, and peletons of cyclists are, however, at enhanced risk, because they spend long durations breathing one another's exhausts.

"Peloton", I assume peleton was a typo. Not a word that I have come across before. It appears to be French for ball or group.

I put the word back and forth through English/French Google Translate with the following results.

E to F - peloton - peloton

F to E - peloton - platoon

E to F - platoon - section

F to E - section - section

Well, I found it mildly interesting, though maybe I should take advantage of the yielding of the Covid restrictions and get out more.

Edited by rocor
typo of a typo.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, rocor said:

Not a word that I have come across before.

You've managed to avoid all the TV coverage of the Tour de Wherever and, even harder, those really annoying ads for exercise bikes.

Edited by Compound2632

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You've managed to avoid all the TV coverage of the Tour de Wherever and, even harder, those really annoying ads for exercise bikes.

I have managed to avoid live TV since 1998, that is when my formally state-of-the-art television gave up the ghost after only seven years of ownership, and was found to be beyond economical repair.

• Round of applause 4

46 minutes ago, rocor said:

Peloton", I assume peleton was a typo

No, I’m afraid it was a spelling mistake.

Before coming across it as a cycling term, which I’m sure arises because a group rolls along like a ball, the nearest i’d come was ‘pelota’, which is a bl@@dy dangerous ball game, played in Southern France and Northern Spain. The ball is like cricket ball, but a lot smaller, and is slung around at head height at about Mach 5, using scoopy things on short sticks, or bare hands.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Red: If you have been unfortunate to travel to either Bedford or Bolton, for F-k sake stay there and don't give the bl00dy variant to us!  

To which add Moray and Glasgow City!

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The current televised bicycle race appears to be a bunch of sweaty oiks chasing a giro cheque in Italy...

I've give up trying to understand SWMBO, who seem incapable of entering a room without switching on a TV then immediately sitting down and reading a book. ! fortunately we don't have pay to view TV!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DonB said:

I've give up trying to understand SWMBO, who seem incapable of entering a room without switching on a TV then immediately sitting down and reading a book. ! fortunately we don't have pay to view TV!

Presumably there is a soothing effect from comforting background noise.  Perhaps in future you should pull up a chair and start burbling inanely to yourself. Then you could sell the television.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Presumably there is a soothing effect from comforting background noise.  Perhaps in future you should pull up a chair and start burbling inanely to yourself. Then you could sell the television.

Maybe the TV is put on to drown out the inane burbling...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

So, I woke up to learn that China has conquered Mars and that the new leader of a major UK political party believes the earth is only six thousand years old.

I think I'll go back to bed ...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I’d be happier without The News, living with the level of information available to a medieval hermit. Ignorance might not actually be bliss, but it’s hard to believe that it wouldn’t be slightly more blissful.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I’d be happier without The News, living with the level of information available to a medieval hermit. Ignorance might not actually be bliss, but it’s hard to believe that it wouldn’t be slightly more blissful.

Indeed, high time I devoted more time to West Norfolk in 1905

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Latest News! Port Arthur Surrenders to Japanese! A thousand peaceful petitioners massacred by army in St Petersburg! Russian sailors mutiny on Battleship Potemkin! Motor Car fanatics form "Automobile Association"! Matisse exhibits Fauvist daubs in Paris! Police hold back crowds in run on the New York State Bank! Kangra earthquaqe kills 20,000 in India!

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

45 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

Latest News! Port Arthur Surrenders to Japanese! A thousand peaceful petitioners massacred by army in St Petersburg! Russian sailors mutiny on Battleship Potemkin! Motor Car fanatics form "Automobile Association"! Matisse exhibits Fauvist daubs in Paris! Police hold back crowds in run on the New York State Bank! Kangra earthquaqe kills 20,000 in India!

We've covered, I think, how such world events affected Blighty when we wrote of the Dogger Bank incident of the previous autumn.

The fatal incompetence of the Russian Baltic fleet was more than repaid by the Karma Police in the form of the Imperial Japanese Navy, when the Russians finally in arrived in the Far East only to be promptly destroyed at the Battle of Tsushima (27–28 May 1905).

This denouement was, perhaps, no more than days or or week or two after the time at which, perpetually, the trains of Castle Aching will run. 

The Punjab had, as you say, been decimated by earthquake only a month or so earlier than the 'action' of CA.

However, most people go on, quite contentedly, or discontentedly, in their compartmentalised lives, perhaps even more so then than now.  World Events were, and are, often abstract in the context of people's daily lives, and often seem barely to get a mention in letters and diaries and small talk.  Until, that is, a World Event runs up and bites them hard on the buttocks!

Besides, West Norfolk (as capitalised) does, and did, not exist, so its interaction with the real historical world can be, at times, well ... voluntary. 

• Like 10