Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

3 minutes ago, rocor said:

Is that piece of music entitled "The march of the morons"?.

They seem genuinely unaware that the accompaniment is meant satirically, but, then again, they are really very stupid.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve not heard the rumours about Catherine the Great and cart horses. Is that what Compound was protecting us from?

An urban legend claims that she died as a result of her attempting sexual intercourse with a stallion—the story holds that the harness holding the horse above her broke, and she was crushed.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve not heard the rumours about Catherine the Great and cart horses. Is that what Compound was protecting us from?

9 minutes ago, rocor said:

An urban legend claims that she died as a result of her attempting sexual intercourse with a stallion—the story holds that the harness holding the horse above her broke, and she was crushed.

This is not true; the story was part of the propaganda being put out by those who though a woman's rule unnatural. (Nothing new in the fake news industry.) Catherine died of a stroke; probably due to old age and a weakening heart.

The horse's name was Dudley.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The horse's name was Dudley.

I suspect you must be thinking of that other famous partnership, Elizabeth and the 3.15 at Leicester (100 to 1 he gets her over the line)

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I suspect you must be thinking of that other famous partnership, Elizabeth and the 3.15 at Leicester (100 to 1 he gets her over the line)

There's a well-worn pair of crossword clues: Dudley or some other place (9) / Leicester or some other place (6).

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Picked clean by the troops, by the look of it:

image.png.e8cffa8761e9191cc9de7a2c9b9900c7.png

[By Nick-D - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia commons]

As they say, an army marches on its stomach. Or in this case, on Boneys horse!

(If they got really hungry, they could have had a go at his stomach too...)

• Like 1

Good People,

I have lost the early railways type thread, but this would probably interest readers there, so perhaps someone could add the link to that thread.

You Tube, then search under "Newcomen Society", and the second or third of the recorded on-line lectures is a very detailed analysis of the construction and history of "Invicta" of the Canterbury & Whitstable, based around what amounts to forensic archaeology. Lots of other interesting lectures too, if not specifically railway focused.

Thanks, Kevin

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Who can tell me more about this wonderful photo I've just purchased.  The photo was taken at Gallions Station and that's all I really know about it.  The little 4 wheel brake 3rd is definitely GER, - I know at least that much.

FjnVj75.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 2