Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

2 hours ago, rocor said:

We have a Lady Voldemort, who would like asylum seekers to the UK, wishing likewise while in a processing centre far, far away.

Hey, that's one paaaarfool woman, is Priti!   Best lookin' polly tishun in the whole wild west!    I couldn't care less that she's ''conservative''......I wouldn't kick her out!!!

Proper ''attitude,'' she has! Luv it!!  Couldn't care a damn what her 'policies' are!

:)  :)  :)

[I hated Maggie, and didn't go much on Thresa either...Mother or the other one!]

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Hey, that's one paaaarfool woman, is Priti!   

She's weak. That's why she has to resort to behaviour that at our local primary school would result being sat down to fill in a "reflection sheet".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, Compound2632 said:

She's weak. That's why she has to resort to behaviour that at our local primary school would result the completion of a "reflection sheet".

She likes to give that impression, but she doesn't suffer fools gladly.....

Mind, 'reflection sheets?'  I'd be inclined to proffer a s*d off opinion..

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, alastairq said:

She likes to give that impression, but she doesn't suffer fools gladly.....

No, she's a bully; that's the sign of weakness.

31 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Mind, 'reflection sheets?'  I'd be inclined to proffer a s*d off opinion..

If your reaction to being asked to complete a reflection sheet was that, your parents would be in the headteacher's office PDQ!

• Agree 2

I love that one of the great offices of state is occupied by a women of Asian heritage, as that would seem to suggest progress. I just wish it wasn't a populist fascistically-minded Daily Mailesque bully.

But, then, you can't have everything in life, can you? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I love that one of the great offices of state is occupied by a women of Asian heritage, as that would seem to suggest progress. I just wish it wasn't a populist fascistically-minded Daily Mailesque bully.

But, then, you can't have everything in life, can you? 

Do you know, I've felt much the same about both our female Prime Ministers.

Edited by Compound2632
Sorry, Prime Ministers not Prim Ministers. Though both were fairly prim.
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Do you know, I've felt much the same about both our female Prime Ministers.

Prim, yes. Unless you take Treesas leather trousers into account, but at least they were on the baggy side...

Edited by Hroth
It wasn't making any sense, even to me...

6 hours ago, dunwurken said:

Why are they called the Temperance Seven when there appear to be nine members in the band?

Just asking!!

Malcolm

It was ironic since they were always. literally, one over the eight.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

16 hours ago, Hroth said:

Prim, yes. Unless you take Treesas leather trousers into account, but at least they were on the baggy side...

A frumpy costume accessorized with blingy footwear was the fashion pronouncement that Mrs May usually conveyed.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, rocor said:

A frumpy costume accessorized with blingy footwear was the fashion pronouncement that Mrs May usually conveyed.

I take it you don't shop at John Lewis any more than Carrie does?

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I take it you don't shop at John Lewis any more than Carrie does?

Practicality and low cost are the watchwords with my attire. I can often be found shopping at Primark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

I take it you don't shop at John Lewis any more

I don't - they departed from my normal world some time ago, the clearest symptom being when they revamped the local store. They used to sell better-quality versions of things one needed, worth buying if one could afford them, because they lasted well, alongside a load of fancy and expensive stuff that nobody actually needed; now they seem almost exclusively focused on the latter.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/06/2021 at 00:00, Caley Jim said:

The Ministry of Health (and other ministries I could name) would be better run by people who know what it's like at the sharp end, rather than politicians and civil servants who don't have a scooby about the real world!

I know that some very grim historical matters have overwhelmed Canada of late but I seem to recall that Trudeau picked his initial cabinet pretty much along those lines e.g. health care professionals, teachers, soldiers, lawyers, farmers, First Nation Canadians, etc. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

"Effortless neglect" sums up my 'look'

Sounds reasonable.

And I don't go around wearing kneelength shorts, horrid tshirts  and a cap on backwards....

Unlike this poor bloke

image.png.3b0dbc837175e2e2018a5aca0f67c758.png

My rant about John Lewis wasn't solely, or even mainly, focused on clothes. Go and look at their selection of domestic light fittings as an instance, if you want a laugh/weep ......... does anyone in the universe need light fittings that fancy/expensive?

They used to sell about five thousand sorts of buttons and thread, enabling the repair of anything. Now the implication is of a corporate sneer in the direction of anyone plebian enough to actually replace missing buttons, rather than send the entire garment to the charity shop.

Still, presumably they simply sell what sells, and not what doesn't. Buttons clearly didn't.

Is Kevin beginning to sound old, and a bit like his mother? Yes [ ]   No [ ] 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

We had a 'bullying'' issue where I used to work.

I, too, worked with the 'accused' bully....

When interviewed, the other side of the table were most miffed when I happily stated that I didn't feel in the least bit bullied, intimidated, frightened or worried by the person concerned.

They seemed to conclude I was perhaps a 'one-off'...to which I complained that I felt discriminated against, for being a 'one-off'....

I completely forget to suggest that the victims/complainants should 'grow a pair,' in all the excitement.....

But then, I was wearing steel toe caps at the time......and was subsequently accused, [out of earshot!] of being 'quite unhelpful' to the complainant's case.

I should have lodged a complaint, I suspect....but quite simply, couldn't be  'arrised.....

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, alastairq said:

We had a 'bullying'' issue where I used to work.

I, too, worked with the 'accused' bully....

When interviewed, the other side of the table were most miffed when I happily stated that I didn't feel in the least bit bullied, intimidated, frightened or worried by the person concerned.

They seemed to conclude I was perhaps a 'one-off'...to which I complained that I felt discriminated against, for being a 'one-off'....

I completely forget to suggest that the victims/complainants should 'grow a pair,' in all the excitement.....

But then, I was wearing steel toe caps at the time......and was subsequently accused, [out of earshot!] of being 'quite unhelpful' to the complainant's case.

I should have lodged a complaint, I suspect....but quite simply, couldn't be  'arrised.....

Ah well, you are perhaps fortunate in being robustly thick skinned. And maybe the accuse was in awe of you and had not attempted to try out their bullying tactics on you?

47 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

My rant about John Lewis wasn't solely, or even mainly, focused on clothes. Go and look at their selection of domestic light fittings as an instance, if you want a laugh/weep ......... does anyone in the universe need light fittings that fancy/expensive?

They used to sell about five thousand sorts of buttons and thread, enabling the repair of anything. Now the implication is of a corporate sneer in the direction of anyone plebian enough to actually replace missing buttons, rather than send the entire garment to the charity shop.

Still, presumably they simply sell what sells, and not what doesn't. Buttons clearly didn't.

Is Kevin beginning to sound old, and a bit like his mother? Yes [ ]   No [ ] 

I do agree. Their range of bathmats has gone downhill since my last purchase from them - which is my current gripe! But I find it's the same everywhere. Shoeshops are a particular bugbear. I find a pair of shoes I like, wear them for two or three years, then when they're getting shabby I go back for another, and do you know, they no longer have the same ones!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Bath mats have never been the same since that one that figured in the Railway Modeller as the overall roof for a terminus station.

Was that the rubber / plastic non-slip sort for use in the bath, or the towelling sort for the bathroom floor? It's the latter I'm looking into.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Shoeshops are a particular bugbear. I find a pair of shoes I like, wear them for two or three years, then when they're getting shabby I go back for another, and do you know, they no longer have the same ones!

Try M&S, my stepson has been wearing the same style for about eight years, replaced when they start to come apart or leak.  "Sensible" slip-on leather shoes in black or brown, he won't wear anything else, hates trainers.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Was that the rubber / plastic non-slip sort for use in the bath,

Ah, you wants mats for baths, not bath mats. You shoulda said! (Unbuttons brown dust coat, adjusts cap firmly, and shuffles along, to rummage in cardboard box below counter)

Actually, it was one to go in the bath, a strange thing made from transparent plastic, patterned in rectangles of a convenient size to represent pains of glass.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, you wants mats for baths, not bath mats. You shoulda said! (Unbuttons brown dust coat, adjusts cap firmly, and shuffles along, to rummage in cardboard box below counter)

Perhaps I should have said, bathroom mats. Anyway I've just ordered a set of the last half-decent pattern from JL - they were being remaindered...

So that's one birthday present sorted. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1