Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

If I'm going to be at the mercy of the selfish and the stupid, I'm going to be less inclined to go out in public and spend my money at indoor venues.

Yep. To my way of thinking, a brief window of being well-vaccinated, and protected by collective precautions is about to close again for probably weeks, until the thing has “burned through”.

Mind you, I went on a train for the first time in 18+months on Saturday and mask-wearing was a bit patchy already. The train was no more than 20% full at the busiest, mostly much less, so not mega-stressful, but  some people clearly believe they are the chosen (not to bother to wear a mask) ones. No obvious pattern to it. In pairs of travellers one was, and one wasn’t, for instance. No clear definition by age either, odd oldies and youngies. They might as well wear a ‘Selfish Pra@t’ badge.

My gut feel is that exactly the same people will and won’t wear masks on trains in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

... some people clearly believe they are the chosen (not to bother to wear a mask) ones.

Well, if they are not chosen, they are certainly ''special''

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

They might as well wear a ‘Selfish Pra@t’ badge.

Indeed, they are!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Silly bu@@ers, you'd never think that its a skill that they all should have practiced.

They do: every day.

Allegedly.

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

as a Port Vale supporter, he was reasonably well-qualified to comment, football does not make you happy.

Port Vale? Pah!

To be well-qualified, he needed to grow up supporting a team like the Cobblers (as in, “what a load of old”). Standing on duckboards on the cricket pitch during the dreary 70s as we alternately were re-elected to the league, promoted to the third division, then relegated again, taught me the value of a few things:

Decent shoes to keep out the cold and wet;

Supporting a “quality fourth division football team” is a preparation for disappointment in life; and 

I am happy to watch major matches, such as England in the final of the Euros, but defeat doesn’t bow my spirit.

Even my partner was rooting for England in the penalty shootout.

I am in agreement with Ian Simpson: they did very well, especially with so many young players in the squad.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Mind you, I went on a train for the first time in 18+months on Saturday and mask-wearing was a bit patchy already. The train was no more than 20% full at the busiest, mostly much less, so not mega-stressful, but  some people clearly believe they are the chosen (not to bother to wear a mask) ones. No obvious pattern to it. In pairs of travellers one was, and one wasn’t, for instance. No clear definition by age either, odd oldies and youngies. They might as well wear a ‘Selfish Pra@t’ badge.

Travel from Leeds to Bradford in a Saturday evening, and the train will be fairly full, but only 50% wearing masks. Again, no pattern to it: just arrogance, ignorance or both.

• Like 1

I dislike wearing a mask intensely, but do use one when out and about locally. I'll be sorry to see the end of covid in one respect, Having not visited a petrol station this year, my bank balance is looking quite respectable ! Biggest expense motoring-wise is the impending need to replace a rear brake bulb, which seems to be unreachable without dismantling the entire rear light cluster... perhaps i should read the manual! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

For those who missed it, our Prime Minister's press conference on the lifting of pandemic lockdown restrictions

I was watching Pointless on the other side while eating my tea.

Of course, most of His Borisnesses ramblings are Pointless too...

Did he mention how gutted he was at the outcome of last nights Foot-The-Ball competition?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DonB said:

I dislike wearing a mask intensely, but do use one when out and about locally.

Pardon me if I say that I have no sympathy for you.  Think yourself lucky, then, that you do not work in front line health care.  I wore a mask for 6-7hours a day 5 days a week for over 20 years!

I see the attitude being taken by BoJo and Co. as little short of criminally reckless.    The medical Royal Colleges have described it as 'an unethical experiment'.  I sense that our FM will take a more cautionary approach when she reports tomorrow.

Jim

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Caley Jim said:

The medical Royal Colleges have described it as 'an unethical experiment'. 

Not sure I quite follow, did they mean the decision to make mask-wearing voluntary, or was it a comment on the choice of Boris Johnson as party leader and consequently PM?

• Funny 8

Just now, Edwardian said:

Not sure I quite follow, did they mean the decision to make mask-wearing voluntary, or was it a comment on the choice of Boris Johnson as party leader and consequently PM?

I understand it was the whole concept of dropping all legal requirements, both mask wearing and social distancing.  What is to happen to those who, for medical reasons, are unable to be vaccinated, those who are immuno-compromised, either through being transplant recipients or undergoing chemo-therapy?  Are they to be thrown to the lions?   Forgive my anger over this, but our granddaughter is in the former category and her other Papa has just started to be in the latter.

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

I simply don’t get it, having spent a large part of my working life trying to intelligently apply the HaSaW etc A, which is all about controlling risks by reasonably practicable measures.

Social Distancing and face-covering where appropriate are things where the benefits so obviously outweigh the costs of doing them in present circumstances that, for people at work, it would be literally criminal not to apply them, so why the heck not maintain the same position for those not at work?

The only answer that I can see is that it has been decided that it is better for us to be exposed, and for some to perish as a result, now, in order to prevent a worse outcome later. If so, only fine by me on one condition: that the deliberate choice is explained very overtly, and voted on in parliament.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I understand it was the whole concept of dropping all legal requirements, both mask wearing and social distancing.  What is to happen to those who, for medical reasons, are unable to be vaccinated, those who are immuno-compromised, either through being transplant recipients or undergoing chemo-therapy?  Are they to be thrown to the lions?   Forgive my anger over this, but our granddaughter is in the former category and her other Papa has just started to be in the latter.

Jim

Anger understood and forgiven.

Don't listen to this last Saturday's Any Answers.  There is one bloke who called in .... well, spare yourself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Anger understood and forgiven.

Don't listen to this last Saturday's Any Answers.  There is one bloke who called in .... well, spare yourself.

Thank you, James.

There was a column in Saturday's Herald newspaper by a lady journalist railing against those who want to retain precautions.  She ended by looking forward to the smell of burning masks.  If I had been able to meet her in person, I would be awaiting trial for GBH, if not murder, right now!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Thank you, James.

There was a column in Saturday's Herald newspaper by a lady journalist railing against those who want to retain precautions.  She ended by looking forward to the smell of burning masks.  If I had been able to meet her in person, I would be awaiting trial for GBH, if not murder, right now!

Jim

She, like the anti-masker wassocks who 'phoned into Any Answers, perfectly illustrate why the protection of the vulnerable and the avoidance of increased transmission cannot be allowed to become a matter of personal responsibility!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

As someone who lives with the problems of a compromised immune system such idiots and their opinions make my blood run cold.  Don't worry Jim I would have more than likely punched her too and ripped out a few handfuls of hair for good measure,

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Pardon me if I say that I have no sympathy for you.  Think yourself lucky, then, that you do not work in front line health care.  I wore a mask for 6-7hours a day 5 days a week for over 20 years!

I see the attitude being taken by BoJo and Co. as little short of criminally reckless.    The medical Royal Colleges have described it as 'an unethical experiment'.  I sense that our FM will take a more cautionary approach when she reports tomorrow.

Jim

Wasn't seeking sympathy, I just find masks uncomfortable and the higher quality, closer fitting ones to be rather claustrophobic. Didn't like scuba diving either, with or without air tanks !

Didn't I see or hear a statement that face masks protect other people rather than the wearer.  But I'm sure that for healthcare personnel they are an essential item.

I do agree with your assessment of our PM 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2021 at 10:23, Nearholmer said:

Old vehicles are all right, provided you don’t actually want to use them for their intended purpose of providing transport. Once you have one, you quickly realise how far vehicle technology, safety and convenience have progressed in the past 50+ years. They’re time-consuming even on basic checks and maintenance in a way that modern ones aren’t.

I dispute this point, I have two moggy minors (both registered in 1967) that are in daily use. I find both of them just as reliable as the wifes modern motor (And actually more reliable than the previous 15 year old galaxy). The big problem with classics is that people who have them tend to use them only for a few weekends of the year, whereas if they are in constant use they just tend to get to a good state and stay there. 

There is also the advantage that you can service and repair them easily... which reminds me its service time for the van this month....

And then the is the fact that they are just more fun to drive than modern stuff, as you actually have to drive them...

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I completely agree Andy.  My 1954 Morris Minor was a daily driver for ten years and it was wonderfully reliable with the bonus that it was very easy to maintain and lots of fun to drive.  I only started to have problems with 'Maeve' when I retired and moved out to the rural countryside and I was no longer driving her so much.  Like much older machinery Morries like to be kept working with a bit of a bit of an oily atmosphere maintained around their working parts.  Park them up and that's when they will give trouble. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is indeed true, my 1956 split opening windscreen moggy van has suffered much from the tin worm for the 30 odd years its been laid up... I'm hoping to get on with doing some more bits for her soon... Its all a learning curve, I've never owned such an early moggy!

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Meanwhile in the colonies here in NSW everyone is running around with our hair on fire because there is an outbreak in Sydney so we're in lockdown, masks wearing inside everywhere, no exemptions, no interstate travel, daily lists of venues that if you have been to you must self-isolate for a fortnight.

The figures - todays statewide case numbers were 88 new cases restricted largely to two areas of Sydney in a state that is 3 times the area of the whole UK,  of these  most were contacts of positives or already in isolation. So it is weird to see the US and the UK is seemingly winding everything down, despite daily new infection rates that are in another order of magnitude from ours. 

The UK strategy is being labelled 'brave' and 'experimental' by health people here when asked about it .  Your vaccination rate is light years ahead of ours  though, plus here like NZ, we have always had a zero tolerance of any cases in the community and every breakout is jumped on with full force until the numbers drop to zero.

I follow a youtuber in the US who has a kind of travel log and on Sunday he was at a 'Renaissance  Faire' in Alabama.

Apart from realising  that in the US the "Renaissance"  means knights, unicorns, vikings, sexy  mermaids  and star wars, it was sobering to see there was  barely  a single mask in sight in the sizeable crowd, the first one appeared at about the 10 minute mark with some young bloke at the Knife throwing.  All up, probably a dozen masks in the crowd of several hundred during the 30 minute video.

Assuming that Alabama must have everyone vaccinated to cause this attitude, I checked their rate - its the lowest in the US at 33%. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

like NZ, we have always had a zero tolerance of any cases in the community and every breakout is jumped on with full force until the numbers drop to zero.

You betcha life we do and that's why we are keeping our borders locked down to keep the world's diseased hordes out.  What the plump thatch haired schoolboy and his crew of cretins are proposing to do with their 'experimental' approach to the plague is utterly criminal and irresponsible. 

8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

All up, probably a dozen masks in the crowd of several hundred during the 30 minute video. Assuming that Alabama must have everyone vaccinated to cause this attitude, I checked their rate - its the lowest in the US at 33%. 

America is an out of control trash fire and the stupidest thing anyone could do is get on a plane and travel there.

16 minutes ago, uax6 said:

That is indeed true, my 1956 split opening windscreen moggy van has suffered much from the tin worm for the 30 odd years its been laid up... I'm hoping to get on with doing some more bits for her soon... Its all a learning curve, I've never owned such an early moggy!

Andy G

Wow! That is an early van.  I've not seen a moggy van that old before.  At car gatherings people used to Ooooo and Ahhhh at my 1954 Series II with its split windscreen, but most vans here were 1960s models.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Annie said:

America is an out of control trash fire and the stupidest thing anyone could do is get on a plane and travel there.

I was wondering what the 'gun to mask' ratio in the crowd would have been. 

Apparently its essential to own many guns and carry them at all  times in case of some incident with a 'bad hombre' , but carrying a mask  to prevent an incident with a bad hombre virus is an attack on liberty and the  American Way Of Life.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes its a bit special, the first two years of production (1953-54) for the GPO had the opening windscreens and rubber front wings and cheesegrater grill. The facelift to slated grill brought the steel, high-light wings, but retained the opening screen. Theres about 18 rubber wingers left, and about 25 steel wingers. Interestingly a rubber winger was re-descovered this week in the uk. 

My one is probably best described as derelict, its all there, but sadly the tin worm has really taken hold, so it needs a complete re-build. I only bought it as i missed out on a rubber winger 20 years ago for what now appears to be a silly price and have kicked myself ever since. This van came my way before chrimble at a cheap price, so I grabbed it, even though I daren't tell the Mrs, and will have to smuggle it home! Its a long restoration....

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Annie said:

You betcha life we do and that's why we are keeping our borders locked down to keep the world's diseased hordes out.  What the plump thatch haired schoolboy and his crew of cretins are proposing to do with their 'experimental' approach to the plague is utterly criminal and irresponsible. 

Wow! That is an early van.  I've not seen a moggy van that old before.  At car gatherings people used to Ooooo and Ahhhh at my 1954 Series II with its split windscreen, but most vans here were 1960s models.

42 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I was wondering what the 'gun to mask' ratio in the crowd would have been. 

Apparently its essential to own many guns and carry them at all  times in case of some incident with a 'bad hombre' , but carrying a mask  to prevent an incident with a bad hombre virus is an attack on liberty and the  American Way Of Life.

I hate that we even have to get into in depth conversation about Covid on a forum like this. But both of you are speaking foolishly. You cannot honestly say that the UK, AU or etc. is any better. Western countries are a joke and none have any moral high ground than another. You speak about some fair in the US yet ignore the World Cup nonsense with thousands crammed into a stadium. Then afterwards English fans cause destruction because they lose. It's really a "he who has not sinned cast the first stone" situation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Matti8 said:

I hate that we even have to get into in depth conversation about Covid on a forum like this. But both of you are speaking foolishly. You cannot honestly say that the UK, AU or etc. is any better. Western countries are a joke and none have any moral high ground than another. You speak about some fair in the US yet ignore the World Cup nonsense with thousands crammed into a stadium. Then afterwards English fans cause destruction because they lose. It's really a "he who has not sinned cast the first stone" situation.

I not an Australian and I'm not English either.  I'm a New Zealander.  No one can argue with our track record of keeping COVID-19 out and our citizens alive.  I think the World Cup was a mistake, I think the Olympics in Tokyo is another mistake.  I think anyone who leaves their own country and travels to another at the moment is an idiot.  So where would you like me to cast my first stone? 

EDIT:  I don't want to start off a pointless debate/arguement/flame war on this subject.  Ultimately it will be a Darwin Award situation so let's just come back in ten years and see who survived the Plague Years.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1