Advertising

I too am getting this and if you close it another one opens.

When RM Web was launched we were promised that if we signed up and created an account the system would be ad free. Now it appears we have to join RM Web Gold for this. I had just accepted the advert side bars and can live w2ith that but at the bottom of the page almost makes it unreadable.

Paul R

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

• Moderators

Testing is underway on a few things at the moment and any issues are being logged into. 

2 minutes ago, pwr said:

When RM Web was launched we were promised that if we signed up and created an account the system would be ad free.

No such promise was made. Some time back Google ads only appeared to non-members but it's necessary to have spread that wider.

Anyway; let our boffins get on with the tweaking for now please.

• Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I am now getting an advertising banner covering most of the bottom 1/8th of the page.  This is extremely annoying and distracting. 

It's more like 1/4 of the page on a phone, and completely obscures the text box when the keyboard is up for typing posts, in landscape mode. I've had to turn to portrait mode to type this. There's still a big space at the header bar where the ads were - & where I hope they return to P.D.Q.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Andy

I understand the ned for advertising to help fund the running of the site.  However this afternoon something seems to have changed.  Whereas the advertising was at the side of a page or at the bottom of the page, I am now getting an advertising banner covering most of the bottom 1/8th of the page.  This is extremely annoying and distracting.  It means that when notifications come up, they cannot be seen - just the beep as they arrive.  When looking at the new posts, scrolling down page by page means that the bottom item - now obscured by the ad - can easily end up off the page as you page down.  

If there is a way to turn this off at my end please advise.  Otherwise could you kindly tell Google where I think they should put their advertisements for military tooling jackets.

I too am experiencing these 'new' adverts but as requested by Andy, I will await the outcome of the 'boffins' research.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, s182ggu said:

I too am experiencing these 'new' adverts but as requested by Andy, I will await the outcome of the 'boffins' research.

No harm in letting the boffins know that pop-ups that block content fall under "stuff that makes me tempted to look at ad-blockers"... 

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, bimble said:

No harm in letting the boffins know that pop-ups that block content fall under "stuff that makes me tempted to look at ad-blockers"... 

I agree with this wholeheartedly, RMWeb has always been in my adblock whitelist, as I want to support the site, and the advertising is always in places that make sense (and usually relevant as I have let Google build up a profile of me), however this latest advert at the bottom that covers features of the site is making me rethink that policy. I shall however keep it in the whitelist for now, and hope the "boffins" conclude that it's not a great place for it.

Gary

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough, the annoying pop up banner at the bottom of the screen doesn't appear on the thread about advertising.

Work that one out!

I don't have a problem with degree of advertising on something that is otherwise available at no cost to the user but at a cost to the provider.

Somebody has to pay for it somehow.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I don't have a problem with degree of advertising on something that is otherwise available at no cost to the user but at a cost to the provider.

I fully agree with this, the problem (for me) only occurs when the advertising effects the sites usage, such as hovering on screen somewhere it blocks other features

Gary

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

such as hovering on screen somewhere it blocks other features

It shouldn't do so now, previously it was obscuring the bottom page links but if you scroll down the ad stays at the bottom and now moves past the links.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It shouldn't do so now, previously it was obscuring the bottom page links but if you scroll down the ad stays at the bottom and now moves past the links.

Yes, ad now only right at the bottom of the page, not blocking anything :good:

5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Strangely enough, the annoying pop up banner at the bottom of the screen doesn't appear on the thread about advertising.

Work that one out!

It's appearing for me right now, and even though it's smaller than before it's still obscuring part of this message as I type it (on Android/samsung phone. Still exrremely annoying!!! :banghead: 

Edit - see what I mean??!! I meant "extremely". :fool:

Edited by F-UnitMad
Flaming new adevertising banner doing my head in!!!
  • Agree 3

I still keep getting the annoying pop-up ads at the bottom of the screen.  Did not mind the ads when they were on the side, but when they keep popping up at the bottom of the screen its so annoying and distracting!  

I'm using Google Chrome if that is of any relevance.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, irishmail said:

I still keep getting the annoying pop-up ads at the bottom of the screen.  Did not mind the ads when they were on the side, but when they keep popping up at the bottom of the screen its so annoying and distracting!  

I'm using Google Chrome if that is of any relevance.

Not only that but the follow you about and are always at the bottom of the screen.  Even if you use the tablet zoom function, which gets rid of the side adds, it is still very sinisterly at the bottom of the screen.

On the other hand it is cutting my viewing time.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

It's appearing for me right now, and even though it's smaller than before it's still obscuring part of this message as I type it (on Android/samsung phone. Still exrremely annoying!!! :banghead: 

Edit - see what I mean??!! I meant "extremely". :fool:

Back for me now too. I agree. Annoying in the extreme.

My other pet hate is that when I first go to the RMWeb menu, objects on the screen continue jumping around for a while. Many times I click on "view new content" just as it jumps away higher up from where I am clicking to be replaced by an advert. My reactions are never quite quick enough to stop me finishing the "click" and ending up somewhere I never wanted to go.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It ws fine when you posted this but it seems one of your experts (ex = something tat has been: Spurt = drip under pressure) has reinstated it!

Edit to add:  spelling issues due to not being able to see what I was typing!!!

Edited by Andy Hayter
Advertising banner
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I posted about this kind of situation some little while ago and thought it had been ironed out with one of the recent upgrades ,but this current situation is as bad if not worse than before.

The ads are appearing in the bottom centre of the page (they were ok down the side) and if I click to "Stop seeing Ad" The same screen area is obstructed with the "Why this Ad"?  I then click the option "It obstructs Content", but the now blank options area remains obscuring the content I'm trying to read/ view.

As I've said before, I understand the need for advertising, but this is becoming really distracting and annoying.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
addition of phrase
  • Agree 9