Advertising

• RMweb Gold

Bloody Google; knows what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow.
Scrolling from the bottom of a tablet screen, it’s difficult to avoid tapping the ad.
I fear personally, these irritating pop up Google Ads will mean less frequent visits to what is an amazing forum. 

• Agree 10

2 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

The one good thing about this banner advertising thingy is that it covers the ads for scanty underwear etc at the bottom of each page!!

Regards

Ian

There have been many complaints about the intrusive ads but not the content.:blush:  They seem to come from non gold members which must mean something;  they want you to go for the gold!:yes:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Having adverts is one thing. I liken this to trying to watch telly with a constantly changing advert across the bottom of the screen. My brain and eyes find it unviewable and it just makes me agitated and annoyed.

If it is here to stay, I am finished with RMWeb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Having adverts is one thing. I liken this to trying to watch telly with a constantly changing advert across the bottom of the screen. My brain and eyes find it unviewable and it just makes me agitated and annoyed.

If it is here to stay, I am finished with RMWeb.

Totally agree with you. I find myself wondering why anybody thinks that this is a good thing. Far from making me want to buy the product/service in question, it makes me want to avoid it. Same for those companies that put the same advert on every advert break on commercial TV.

• Agree 9

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Totally agree with you. I find myself wondering why anybody thinks that this is a good thing. Far from making me want to buy the product/service in question, it makes me want to avoid it. Same for those companies that put the same advert on every advert break on commercial TV.

As a gold member you shouldn't be seeing them.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

As a gold member you shouldn't be seeing them.

Hi, Andy.

I'm not, since yesterday, as reported on the Gold thread. But I still agree with the others about how annoying this new format advert is having experienced it for a couple of days.

I do appreciate that RMweb costs a lot to do and that means generating income so I don't blame you in the least for involving Google. I just think that Google has not made an intelligent choice as to the method of showing these ads.

• Agree 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, brianusa said:

they want you to go for the gold!

Well ideally, yes. But for the right reasons in that you get additional facilities and access to the digital magazine. Why? It helps pay for the running costs and our wages.

I don't disagree with the perspectives aired about it's impacts on functionality and I am dealing with that internally. One other perspective is that if a few users didn't like it and moved on but the ad placement proved to be particularly lucrative for whatever reason (we won't know any answers on that of course for a while) and actually resulted in the site breaking even against costs which do you think a business would opt for?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I just think that Google has not made an intelligent choice as to the method of showing these ads.

It isn't even Google's fault. ;)

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

As I have said before Andy, I fully appreciate the need to make RMWeb pay its way. I don't mind adverts at all. It is the fact that it is on top of the site content and changes all the time and every time it does, my eye goes from what I am looking at to the banner then back again. It is massively obtrusive and totally ruins the whole RMWeb experience for me.

I have been a huge enthusiast for RMWeb for quite a while now but I genuinely find it unpleasant to look at now to the point where I would rather not look at all rather than have a moving advert in my face 100% of the time.

I completely agree, it's most distracting and annoying.

• Agree 7

Please get rid of the adds at the bottom of the page. I could probably put up with them but not when they are constantly scrolling and changing when I am reading someones posts. It is distracting while I am typing this. Also most of the adds seem to be 'targeted' but I always remove the option on web browsers etc to make it non specific so what the....! VERY ANNOYED

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Well ideally, yes. But for the right reasons in that you get additional facilities and access to the digital magazine. Why? It helps pay for the running costs and our wages.

I don't disagree with the perspectives aired about it's impacts on functionality and I am dealing with that internally. One other perspective is that if a few users didn't like it and moved on but the ad placement proved to be particularly lucrative for whatever reason (we won't know any answers on that of course for a while) and actually resulted in the site breaking even against costs which do you think a business would opt for?

I see the need to get some income but I have never seen a business decision that alienates users making sense in the long term. 

• Agree 4

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, d00m said:

VERY ANNOYED

Have you actually read that I posted earlier that I am already discussing issues internally? Or did you just need to shout in block caps?

What are your alternative proposals for ensuring running costs are met to provide you with a free-to-access resource?

What would you be prepared to pay for an ad-free version (it's not on the agenda but I may very well put on one!).

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Have you actually read that I posted earlier that I am already discussing issues internally? Or did you just need to shout in block caps?

What are your alternative proposals for ensuring running costs are met to provide you with a free-to-access resource?

What would you be prepared to pay for and ad-free version (it's not on the agenda but I may very well put in one!).

Please do. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly, RMWeb has always been in my adblock whitelist, as I want to support the site, and the advertising is always in places that make sense (and usually relevant as I have let Google build up a profile of me), however this latest advert at the bottom that covers features of the site is making me rethink that policy. I shall however keep it in the whitelist for now, and hope the "boffins" conclude that it's not a great place for it.

It might be possible to set up an ad blocker to just block the one that gets in the way and leave all the others (depending upon how the ad is implemented).

Apologies to AY for CAPITAL LETTERS. For me all they are is an indication (not shouting) of me going GRRRR...! Would it be possible for the adverts to be a complete 'strap' across the whole screen as you get on television news? That would be less intrusive to users and should still generate an income. Perhaps something like that could be tested? Either that or make the add pane on the right static, and advertise there. Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

What would you be prepared to pay for an ad-free version (it's not on the agenda but I may very well put on one!).

So, we already have RMWeb GOLD which is a subscription service which gives ad free content plus all the extras (such as the extra digital content etc).

So how about RMWeb SILVER - which is ad free, but doesn't have any of the extras of Gold - this is run on a suggested annual donation of whatever the user feels they want to pay (but perhaps with a low minimum amount).  This may also appeal to those who are happy to contribute committing to an annual subscription - they just have to make a variable donation once every 12 months.

You can then have RMWeb BRONZE which is the free account, but you have to put up with all the lingerie advertising etc.

• Informative/Useful 1