Advertising

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jack said:

You can then have RMWeb BRONZE which is the free account, but you have to put up with all the lingerie advertising etc.

Would it give you more of those to look at and fewer of the other ads? Sounds tempting, but unfortunately I'd probably have to put on an adblocker at work!

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Paddy said:

How about RMWeb Platinum where Andy wakes you up each morning with a nice cup of tea? :D

Kind regards

Paddy

We're already working on this. RMweb Platinum sees a virtual Andy appear at the end of your bed every morning to regale you with all the overnight postings. For a bit more money, you get an off switch.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

We're already working on this. RMweb Platinum sees a virtual Andy appear at the end of your bed every morning to regale you with all the overnight postings. For a bit more money, you get an off switch.

In the Platinum Plus edition he is fully dressed as well ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Have you actually read that I posted earlier that I am already discussing issues internally? Or did you just need to shout in block caps?

What are your alternative proposals for ensuring running costs are met to provide you with a free-to-access resource?

What would you be prepared to pay for an ad-free version (it's not on the agenda but I may very well put on one!).

Andy,

I don't think anyone is objecting to advertising on the site in principle, we all appreciate the need to generate revenue to maintain the site. It's just the position at the bottom of the page that is causing annoyance. If they were confined to the right hand side all would be fine. Can this be arranged?

We already have, as I understand it, an ad-free option by subscribing to RM Gold but not everyone wants to do this or possibly can't afford to in these difficult times.

Are you suggesting that the ads at the bottom are generating more revenue than at the right side? 

Mike

• Agree 5

• Moderators
Just now, Mike_Walker said:

Are you suggesting that the ads at the bottom are generating more revenue than at the right side? 

The honest answer is we don't know yet.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When we were getting banner ads at the bottom of the page, no problem here, I could ignore them or look at them.  The google Ads pop-ups however stay at the bottom of the  (PC) screen while I'm scrolling and obscure the content.  Unlike some other pop-ups you can't remove them with the X. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, petethemole said:

The google Ads pop-ups however stay at the bottom of the  (PC) screen while I'm scrolling and obscure the content.  Unlike some other pop-ups you can't remove them with the X. 

And therein lies the problem. :banghead:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Hi.

I'm might be missing something but there are plenty of browsers around with quite robust ad blockers built in, free to download, etc. I never have any problems with pesky ads anymore.

Missy.

I use an ad blocker on Firefox but had it turned off for here.  It's back on now.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The banner ad at the bottom seems to appear while scrolling down, but seems to stay parked at the bottom of the page (effectively disappearing) when you scroll up. I can live with that. My guess is that most of us will get used to it fairly quickly. Last year in Spain I was getting adverts appearing in between items on the BBC news website. Something to do with the wifi provider over there I think. I noticed them at first because they were different, after a week they ceased to register.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, -missy- said:

I never have any problems with pesky ads

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

I use an ad blocker

I've just called Scottish Power to ask if I can use their leccy without paying, they didn't sound too impressed. I'll see what Tesco say about the food.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I've come across those "floaty stay in the field of view regardless" ads on other websites.

The instant I recognise them I close the tab and never return.

They are a (free) price too high for me.

I'll stay gold for as long as I can.

The BBC website (Funded through license fee payers) is remarkedly free from adverts - unless you are outside the UK. Then there are some but not many, unless any manager from the Beeb is reading this then there are way too many!

Kev.

PS. Sorry (why?) but no ads for me on this site.  :)  :)  :)  

(Although I do miss the lingerie ads as "it comes up automatically" excuse allows free viewing rights with the domestic authorities!)

((I couldn't spell "lingerie", and was too frightened to type an attempt at it into go-ogle, so I had to search further up this thread to copy and paste it!!)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I have never had a problem with the adverts until the recent changes. Now on my phone they pop up all over the screen and I have had two arguments with my wife over looking at ladies in very little clothing (adverts for Bras and Panties). It has now come down to not using the site when on my phone. On the computer the only thing I hate is the way they flash, gave me a headache last night.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'll see what Tesco say about the food.

You will be telling me next you have never popped into a supermarket to use the loo or parked in one of their carparks while getting some fish and chips next door?

M.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've just called Scottish Power to ask if I can use their leccy without paying, they didn't sound too impressed. I'll see what Tesco say about the food.

I did say I'd turned it off for RMweb.  I sincerely hope I can turn it off again soon.  I'd go for gold but with the extra content available I'd never get off the PC.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, -missy- said:

You will be telling me next you have never popped into a supermarket to use the loo or parked in one of their carparks while getting some fish and chips next door?

Everyone has had to go for a McPoo but I don't sit there reading a complimentary newspaper and I don't stop at the counter on the way out to tell them what I've done.

• RMweb Premium

I can live with the ads at the side but the ones popping up at the bottom of the page are annoying . Sorry but it has to be said .  I know you’re working on it .  As someone else said it does make you wonder if Google know what they are doing . These ads are so annoying it’s a disincentive to buy any of the services offered which apparently includes socks and underwear subscription.......who knew you could subscribe to pants ?!

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

There is a bit of a difference Andy. As far back as I can remember, I have paid for food and electricity and both those items are pretty essential.

RMWeb was free to all for a long time until the Gold option and most of us are used to that. It is also not quite as essential as food and "leccy".

I genuinely don't have a problem with most of the advertising as I appreciate that it costs money to run the forum.

It is just this new pop up, for which I have invented a new ad blocker. I don't know how I would apply it to a tablet or phone, which are now "no go" areas for RMWeb as far as I am concerned but on my big computer screen, I prop a small rectangle of card up, covering the bit of the screen where the jumping about adverts appear. Try it folks. The difference is amazing. It is like having RMWeb like it was last week back again.

I used to do much of my RMWebbing in my shed on the tablet but that is just so dreadful to view, I won't be doing it any more. Having the text or a photo big enough to see means that some of it is hidden behind the advert.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Try it folks. The difference is amazing. It is like having RMWeb like it was last week back again.

I actually admire this.

• Like 1