Advertising

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

But, your browser may record that you have been searching on Amazon for gimp masks and this is fed through to Google who then serve some ads (just for you) on what gimp masks you can buy on eBay - they won't know that you actually bought one from Amazon, just that you searched for it. They don't necessarily know who you are but they know you wanted a gimp mask and they work on the basis that you may not have found the one that fits you so they send you an ad.

That was a different model railway site to this one... :rofl:

Andi

• Funny 1

One of the Ads that came up for me this morning - in the banner, top of page, so not "in the way" as it were - was for "Pest Control & Removal"... :lol:  seemed highly appropriate somehow.

Then again, I expect the Moderators would have in mind a different version again, and they do have the power... :scared:  :tomato: :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought oh no the pop up adverts here again , but it has since disappeared. I know people are experimenting with settings .  Although the pop up was there initially , you can live with it as it disappears after initial viewing . 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Has anyone managed to kill the Goblin yet ?

I think you may be receiving some advertising based on some of your niche interests. ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

I only get that one (along with a load of other Taboola click bait trash) on the Independent website. 

Andi

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think you may be receiving some advertising based on some of your niche interests. ;)

I was baffled by the advert I had for about 85% of the period they were running showing Camila Cabello, as not any sort of interest of mine...turned out it was eBay trying to sell me postcards of her...

Not RMweb specific (it's not half as annoying as most non-BBC 'news' sites) - I don't mind banner ads or side bar ads, but what is it with all the ear wax adverts all over the place ? Eeeuch ! The internet is snided with them at the moment. My wife is getting them too and her browsing habits are definately not similar to mine. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I can live with adverts, not that I particularly want to but that's the world we live in.  They seem to have gone today, touch wood (whatever you do, don't google 'touching wood'!).  The annoyance was not so much the 'vert itself or it's blocking the bottom of the screen, it was that some of them were animated or featured video clips, in other words, they moved, and thus distracted my attention from what I was reading.  For those advertising exec types that will tell me that this was the intention, I'm not stupid despite occasional appearances and I know that.  Be aware that my reaction to adverts that annoy me is to refuse to ever buy that product again, ever, even if the adverts stop annoying me.  You have one chance only to sell things to me, and quite often you blow it...

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Unlikely - but nowhere near as unlikely as saving the shark / keeping the butler happy / whatever else was supposed to happen if anyone ever managed to find the mythical "pull the pin" levels in those dodgy "match 3" android games that Playrix were plugging - in the misleading adverts that the ASA have finally got round to banning.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2020 at 21:45, St Enodoc said:

I think that two questions are being conflated Andy (and Phil and Steve), which is helping to create more heat than light. These questions (with my personal answers) are:

Q1. Should there be ads on RMweb?

A: Yes, of course, for all the reasons that you have explained above and over the past few days.

Q2. Should there be ads on RMweb that pop up and obscure the part of the page that you are trying to read or type in?

A: No, because these affect adversely my interaction with RMweb and hence detract from my enjoyment of, and desire to participate in, the content of the site. I have no objection to pop-up ads per se, only these ones that pop up in the wrong place.

FYI, I only access RMweb through a desktop or laptop computer, not through a tablet, phone or other hand-held device.

Thanks.

I am very pleased to see that the obtrusive pop-ups no longer appear.

Thank you.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks indeed to Andy and Steve for stopping this particular experiment. 

If more advertising income is needed (and I am sure extra income will always be welcome) then why not extend the advertising down the side of the page?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, johndon said:

I got one two minutes ago...

John

For me, the advert appears the first time I enter the forum.  If I read an item, it has gone, and if I return to the main forum page it doesn't return.  I have logged out and back in and reset the cookies for the page.  But if this only happens once on every visit to the site, I can live with that.  Things are much better than in the original advert trials. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

As an aside I didn't realise that when you subscribe to RM Gold you get access to the Digital version of BRM

Conversely as a subscriber to the printed copy, I get no reverse concession on RM Gold. 

Could this be looked at or have I missed something

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2020 at 07:52, Re6/6 said:

I just had a banner ad at the top of the page for a Devon MP. "See what 'so and so' has been doing for you". A 'political' ad....?

I'm unsure if said MP taking an ad out to publicise what they do marks them out as dynamic and innovative or that they've been so sluggardly that they've had to take out an ad to demonstrate that some activity has taken place.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I have had to acknowledge the cookie placement popup at least three times today. I never log out - why would I? - so don't know why. Yes, it is on three separate Macs, but they are same three Macs I use every day, and most days I don't see them. My cookie level is whatever Safari sets by default. 

• Agree 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

so don't know why

They've been doing some testing again with ads today so maybe it's triggered the acceptance process again. Shouldn't do, but...

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

They've been doing some testing again with ads today so maybe it's triggered the acceptance process again. Shouldn't do, but...

I don't die in a ditch because of this. But it is odd that it should have suddenly started up - but by no means every day. First world problem, Andy, so don't worry. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have had to acknowledge the cookie placement popup at least three times today. I never log out - why would I? - so don't know why. Yes, it is on three separate Macs, but they are same three Macs I use every day, and most days I don't see them. My cookie level is whatever Safari sets by default. 

It’s not Andy it’s you....Mac have updated safari to only store cookies for 7 days...

”The updated Safari also limits storage for a website's scripts to one week, and includes counters to sites that try to avoid tracking detection by delaying their redirects”

from https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-24-safari-blocks-all-third-party-cookies-by-default.html?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

It’s not Andy it’s you....Mac have updated safari to only store cookies for 7 days...

”The updated Safari also limits storage for a website's scripts to one week, and includes counters to sites that try to avoid tracking detection by delaying their redirects”

from https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-24-safari-blocks-all-third-party-cookies-by-default.html?

Probably not. I use all three Macs every day. And seldom in any day am I not on RMweb somewhere....