Advertising

• RMweb Premium

This week I have been enjoying a header advert for an advert blocker!

Can anything be done to restrict the advert contents? One I've seen several times this week on this site from eBay contained a car lighting control panel which has some images I'd rather my five year old not see when she's looking over my sholder. The options available on the advert when I close it don't include "inappropriate".

Any news on the <Gold membership to remove adverts?

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

........The options available on the advert when I close it don't include "inappropriate".

Any news on the <Gold membership to remove adverts?

Steven B.

I generally get inappropriate as a choice when I close with adchoices.

Andy said he was on it for "silver" a couple of weeks ago, we should give him time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Someone should tell the makers of the adverts that as a senior citizen I do not need to be told that their models are "hot". This male worked out how to select them over 50 years ago and I have not forgotten how to do it yet!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This is the first  post I have made under this topic, it's not a gripe ,- just amusement..

I have always been plagued by adverts on RMweb, - at least since they changed over from the old site software and I have attempted to remove/reduce them by resorting to antisocial tactics - not signing in to the site, reporting ads as intrusive/not appropriate/unwanted, deleting them constantly,reducing my time on the site, not posting anything  etc.

That was until a two or  three of weeks ago - then something strange happened. ( I am a luddite and don't care much for the modern world... My pc still runs windows 7 -  perfectly o.k. and with no annoying updates from Microsoft now... I still use IE 11, with Firefox and no additional software pop-up blockers as my machine is 10 years old.)

I turned the machine on, checked for any new emails, then went to RMWEB site and there were no ads!!! NONE  just blank squares on the sceeen where they would be...

i logged in and checked out this new phenomenon, still no adverts, just empty spaces!! and this is how it has remained to this day,everything else works as normal.

I have no Idea if  I inadvertantly changed some pc or cookie settings, or if something was altered at the Website/Provider,  BUT I HAVE NO ADS ! and that suits me fine...

Regards

SIGTECH

Steve, (now advert free...)

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sigtech said:

Steve, (now advert free...)

Hi Steve,

It's because you are using Firefox, and it has updated itself to the latest version.

I have been using Firefox (always-updated) for ages, and never have had any advertising on RMweb. I believe Firefox has now made the no-adverts setting the default.

Martin.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Martin, although it was only about 3 weeks ago that this happened, before that, using Firefox I still got all the adverts!!

Regards

Steve (SIGTECH.)

Edited by sigtech
FINGER TROUBLE...

• RMweb Gold

It's probably more likely that Google have no ads they think would be appropriate for you (Firefox doesn't have a built in ad blocker, that would be very much against web standards, and Mozilla are very proud of how well their software meets standards out of the box)

If google have a good enough profile of you they will only show adverts they think will interest you, and if they have nothing that matches, they won't show any. It's that simple

Gary

(Using the latest Firefox, and still getting ads)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

(Firefox doesn't have a built in ad blocker, that would be very much against web standards, and Mozilla are very proud of how well their software meets standards out of the box)

Hi Gary,

It's not blocking the ads. What it is blocking are the trackers which the ads try to install. Firefox now does this by default, at least on my system, i.e. the STRICT tracking protection setting is ON.

If there was an ad on RMweb which was a simple clickable image, it would appear normally.

Unfortunately, there isn't. They all try to install trackers to keep track of what you are clicking on and responding to. Firefox blocks the tracker not the ad, but the result is that the ad doesn't appear.

Here's a list of all the ad trackers on RMweb which my Firefox is now blocking:

rmweb_blocked_trackers.png.8e01289bc55a457fe85e3339335e6262.png

Firefox is the best browser anyway, so the obvious way to avoid seeing the ads would seem to be to use Firefox when visiting RMweb.

Other browsers are available. smile.gif

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, SHMD said:

...but RMweb will disappear for all unless enough adverts are counted as being shown/responded to!

The Templot forum hasn't disappeared after 20 years, despite having no advertising. The key is the Donations button, which keeps it ticking along in reasonable health.

On RMweb, the model hobby trade could advertise on here with simple adverts consisting of images and links to their web sites, without needing trackers. Simply an on-screen version of their magazine advertising.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

It's not blocking the ads. What it is blocking are the trackers which the ads try to install. Firefox now does this by default, at least on my system, i.e. the STRICT tracking protection setting is ON.

Interesting, mine certainly hasn't flipped to strict, although I did test it and got the same results as you (Standard seems to block all the actual bad stuff anyway, without interfering with how things are displayed). It looks like strict is the same as running in incognito mode the whole time.

Interestingly the list of blocked trackers on my machine for RMWeb is longer than yours, despite me being on standard settings. It has everything yours does, so all those ones you see are still blocked in standard mode.

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Firefox is the best browser anyway

I strongly agree with this statement, and some of it's add ons make it even better.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

The Templot forum hasn't disappeared after 20 years, despite having no advertising. The key is the Donations button, which keeps it ticking along in reasonable health.

On RMweb, the model hobby trade could advertise on here with simple adverts consisting of images and links to their web sites, without needing trackers. Simply an on-screen version of their magazine advertising.

Martin.

With all due respect Martin, and I actually mean it, I think RMWeb is a little bigger/more bandwidth (or what ever they have decided to price by), than the Templot forum

You have never been nothing but curious and very helpful to me. I am not trying to antagonise you.

..but, obviously, I have no idea of the costs of either forum.

People need to learn that there are no free clicks on the internet!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Interesting, mine certainly hasn't flipped to strict

Hi Gary,

It's odd, because I have no recollection of ever changing to Strict mode, and Steve clearly didn't:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/158853-advertising/page/7/&tab=comments#comment-4199741

What's more, despite the warning about Strict mode from Firefox, I have had no problems with any web site or being unable to login or perform any other working on them.

I don't know for how long RMweb has been displaying the adverts, but I have never ever seen any of them, so clearly the Strict mode has been in force on my system for some time. Without any problems at all.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I think RMWeb is a little bigger/more bandwidth (or what ever they have decided to price by), than the Templot forum

Hi Kev,

Well yes, but so is the membership able and willing to click a Donations button. Currently:

RMweb: 39,386 members.

Templot Club: 2,289 members.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

It's odd, because I have no recollection of ever changing to Strict mode, and Steve clearly didn't:

Martin,

Life would be to simple if computers only did what we told them, and besides, it'd put me out of a job if they didn't mess about all the time. LOL

22 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

What's more, despite the warning about Strict mode from Firefox, I have had no problems with any web site or being unable to login or perform any other working on them.

Honestly I would be very surprised if there were any sites that did break because of it, and if a site breaks because of a tracker not working, even if it's not a bad tracker, it's probably best avoided anyway!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Gary,

If there was an ad on RMweb which was a simple clickable image, it would appear normally.

Unfortunately, there isn't. They all try to install trackers to keep track of what you are clicking on and responding to. Firefox blocks the tracker not the ad, but the result is that the ad doesn't appear.

Here's a list of all the ad trackers on RMweb which my Firefox is now blocking:

rmweb_blocked_trackers.png.8e01289bc55a457fe85e3339335e6262.png

Firefox is the best browser anyway, so the obvious way to avoid seeing the ads would seem to be to use Firefox when visiting RMweb.

Other browsers are available. smile.gif

Martin.

Well, I'm running Firefox 83.0 on Windows 10 64-bit, with "Enhanced Tracking Protection Always On" and I still get lots of adverts. I don't mind that - they're not intrusive or offensive. I just ignore them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the last couple of days a new type of advert has appeared - a full-screen-width video. When I click "skip ad" at the bottom right of the video nothing happens and the same video repeats over and over again. This is most definitely intrusive due to its sheer size and repetitiveness. Am I alone in this (I suspect not, as it is happening on different devices) and can something be done about it please?

• RMweb Premium

No not alone.  I have not seen a skip advert button but strongly suspect that this is the next move in providing "enhanced advertising experience".   It is at least a lot less intrusive than the original banner that was at the bottom of the page.

If this is the price we have to pay for a free forum then we should suffer with a degree of grace.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andy Hayter said:

No not alone.  I have not seen a skip advert button but strongly suspect that this is the next move in providing "enhanced advertising experience".   It is at least a lot less intrusive than the original banner that was at the bottom of the page.

If this is the price we have to pay for a free forum then we should suffer with a degree of grace.

Sounds like the same thing but to me it's a lot more intrusive because of its size. On this page, for example, it sits between the topic title and the list of pages, just where you don't want it to be. I've no problem with the adverts in the side bar on the right at all but this is a different matter altogether.

The skip ad button doesn't do anything when I click it.

Looking more closely it don't think it's even an advert, just a series of random one-minute videos from somewhere called mitchmartinez dot com.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

In the last couple of days a new type of advert has appeared - a full-screen-width video. When I click "skip ad" at the bottom right of the video nothing happens and the same video repeats over and over again. This is most definitely intrusive due to its sheer size and repetitiveness. Am I alone in this (I suspect not, as it is happening on different devices) and can something be done about it please?

I've not seen anything like that (and I wouldn't be particularly happy if I had) and I've not had other reports. If you see it again could you please do a screenshot for me?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've not seen anything like that (and I wouldn't be particularly happy if I had) and I've not had other reports. If you see it again could you please do a screenshot for me?

image.png.8266a51f08f8d5e58c95972d46b64c92.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I've got a bit of RMWeb content on the screen in amongst the adverts and video!

Right clicking on any of the videos brings up the text 'About Connatix V82898'

Martin

image.png.8859ee560c20b9ced34656889b49754a.png

Edited by mcowgill
  • Agree 1