Advertising

This morning it is worse then ever!  Using google chrome,  still same if I use Firefox.  

As others have previously mentioned, I have not problems with the ads, I have got used to them, but these latest ones are just a right pain.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

There seem to be even more adverts appearing on the site now... Lost about  1/8 of the screen display due to a huge banner across the top of the page which didn't seem to be there before....

I've just done a quick calculation of the screen shot below. 36.7% of the screen is given over to advertising.

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 07.57.20.png

• Agree 1

Jeez....

Just had a read through this thread! Poor Andy. Some people want everything for nothing.

Glad to say that the advert blocking the notification button has disappeared so thank you for getting that sorted!

Ads don't bother me, bills need to be paid! The current subscription service doesn't really appeal to me as I wouldn't use a lot of the services offered however a cheaper subscription, maybe for an ad free RMweb is something I'd pay!

Give Andy a break. RMWeb got me into the hobby 7 years ago and RMWeb is also the reason I built a new layout during lockdown. The knowledge and resources are invaluable. Don't take RMweb for granted! It nearly disappeared!

Rant over... :D

• Like 12
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Sooner or later the whole issue of excessive advertising is going to kill off large parts of the internet by making them unusable. I welcome that day when we move away from an advert funded web to one paid for by users directly. Quality will improve and the clickbait will vanish.

There needs to be some level of balance. Any site like this will need a steady stream of newcomers if it is to have a long-term future, and even if they'll end up being happy to pay directly they still need some time before reaching the point where they decide it'll be worthwhile. Therefore I think free access is required, which has to be paid for somehow, and without it putting people off, which too much advertising can do. I'm sympathetic towards anyone having to try to find that balance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have no problems with adverts, the site needs to cover its costs in one way or another.

I have not yet seen any of these pop-up ads which would obstruct your screen view and of which others have complained.

There does appear to be something wrong with the creeping box ad at the top of the page.  It's mildly annoying when you want to click an item on the forum index and the index is slowly creeping down the page.  However once the box eventually expands to its maximum size, nine times out of ten it is only a clear box and I have very rarely seen any advert actually appear within that box.  

• Agree 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

- I’ve never met @AY Mod , @Phil Parker or @SteveColein person, but they’ve always replied quickly and courteously to my questions and posts.  

Phil and I are out and about a lot in normal times (we'll be at the Bachmann event on Sunday doing some filming) and happy to chat if you see us.*

* Except if you've got yourself on the naughty step here, then we just ignore you. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

I have a slight variation on the theme, where I have the dropping top banner, and the regular ad areas on the right hand side... but all of them are blank white with no actual ads in them!  I've not changed any settings in my browser or use an ad blocker, but I'm assuming ad areas without ads don't help raise revenue for the forum.

This might be the ad people playing with settings after prompting...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bimble said:

I have a slight variation on the theme, where I have the dropping top banner, and the regular ad areas on the right hand side... but all of them are blank white with no actual ads in them!  I've not changed any settings in my browser or use an ad blocker, but I'm assuming ad areas without ads don't help raise revenue for the forum.

This might be the ad people playing with settings after prompting...

Like this? That's what I'm getting. Inch wide band at the top that doesn't go away when you scroll down and nothing on the right.

1137283650_2021-09-22(1).png.81b3760f1679b99b4a46f9fc2f0caed4.png

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bimble said:

I have a slight variation on the theme, where I have the dropping top banner, and the regular ad areas on the right hand side... but all of them are blank white with no actual ads in them! 

It’s that invisible ink that Andy uses.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I wasn’t active in the hobby in the early days of RMweb, but since joining in Nov 2018 I’ve come to realise just how big a resources it is: there are still whole sections of the site I’ve never visited!  And when ‘Googling’  modelling related questions, I’ve noticed recently that RMweb posts often appear at or near the top of general search results as well.

Poignantly, RMweb is also becoming a treasured library curating the records of some fine modellers and wonderful people who are sadly no longer with us, giving us direct access to the thoughts and conversations of people who can still teach us so much.  I don’t know if it was ever envisaged at the start that RMweb would come to fulfill such a role, but it would be a shame to lose this in-depth archive.  How best to pay for such digital legacies is, I’d suggest, an issue across the internet.

At the same time, we also still have direct access to the founder, which given RMweb has over 40,000 registered users (and sometimes more than 2,000 on-line at a time) is actually quite something - I’ve never met @AY Mod , @Phil Parker or @SteveCole in person, but they’ve always replied quickly and courteously to my questions and posts.  

Holding all these things in tension means I guess there will be bumps in the road from time to time.  But I hope the number of “Thank you” messages being posted helps make it worthwhile for the team who look after us.  Keith.

Absolutely .

I’ve  been on RMweb since the beginning almost , I attended the first members day in about 2008. It’s still one of the few sites I visit every day …..that’s a lot of days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

Jeez....

Just had a read through this thread! Poor Andy. Some people want everything for nothing.

Glad to say that the advert blocking the notification button has disappeared so thank you for getting that sorted!

Ads don't bother me, bills need to be paid! The current subscription service doesn't really appeal to me as I wouldn't use a lot of the services offered however a cheaper subscription, maybe for an ad free RMweb is something I'd pay!

Give Andy a break. RMWeb got me into the hobby 7 years ago and RMWeb is also the reason I built a new layout during lockdown. The knowledge and resources are invaluable. Don't take RMweb for granted! It nearly disappeared!

Rant over... :D

I agree with you on the subscription. Current choice is too all-encompassing, mags don't tick my box now (they used to, but tbh I find the content in the forum is as good as a mag). I'd happily pay a sub just for forum membership- I already pay for membership of another railway forum.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1