Advertising

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully the adverts have gone for me but I’m left with a white inch or so at the top of the page which covers the X to close a photo I’ve enlarged and the only way I’ve found to get round this is to close the topic and reopen then scroll to where I’d got to. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

X to close a photo I’ve enlarged and the only way I’ve found to get round this is to close the topic and reopen then scroll to where I’d got to. 

Mobile or on a computer? If a computer, try the escape key on the keyboard, that usually closes expanded pictures on websites. I can't test myself right now as using my phone.

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Variation on a theme I think . Still seeing top banner  and bottom pop up with main screen pop up appearing on initial login . This is the one where you have to click something for it to go away, but there also seems to be a delay on this where screen can freeze . 

On the plus side I now know theres a new Taco Bell in Linwood , I can get SMART Cars on Milton St Glasgow  and the Westminster collection has a rather fine collection of 50p pieces . All on one screen , with a bit of model railways in the middle , assuming I've managed to get rid of the first pop up ad  which I think was for Google Chrome 

The only thing I havent seen yet is DFS are having a sale 

Edited by Legend
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2021 at 18:04, AY Mod said:

* Except if you've got yourself on the naughty step here, then we just ignore you. :biggrin_mini2:

You don't need to be on the naughty step to be ignored...... :jester:

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Legend said:

Variation on a theme I think . Still seeing top banner  and bottom pop up with main screen pop up appearing on initial login . This is the one where you have to click something for it to go away, but there also seems to be a delay on this where screen can freeze . 

On the plus side I now know theres a new Taco Bell in Linwood , I can get SMART Cars on Milton St Glasgow  and the Westminster collection has a rather fine collection of 50p pieces . All on one screen , with a bit of model railways in the middle , assuming I've managed to get rid of the first pop up ad  which I think was for Google Chrome 

The only thing I havent seen yet is DFS are having a sale 

When are DFS not having a sale?:jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

I'm still getting that creeping white banner that comes down from the top on Google Chrome, which I find annoying because the topic I want to click on moves with it.  I don't mind advertising at the top of the page, down the side or at the bottom of the page (the site has to be paid for after all), but I don't like the creeping nature of the new adverts.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2021 at 09:20, Steadfast said:

Mobile or on a computer? If a computer, try the escape key on the keyboard, that usually closes expanded pictures on websites. I can't test myself right now as using my phone.

Jo

On my iPad. I rarely talk to my computer these days since I upgraded to W10

I think the creeping banner adverts were designed by somebody with a warped mind. It is almost impossible to click on the 'last post' button while it is creeping down the screen. If anything it makes me promise NEVER to have anything to do with the advertised company because they annoy me so much. I seriously think I will have to cancel my membership, it is all getting too much

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I haven't got a problem with the banner across the top if it were stationary.   When it keeps creeping downwards it makes clicking on, for example, new content almost impossible - I've lost count of how many times I've ended up on the wrong thread as a result.  The "fix" is to wait several seconds for it to settle down which is both frustrating and annoying.  TBH I can't see the point of it creeping, surely it would get its message across (or be ignored) just as easily if it was a static banner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

I haven't got a problem with the banner across the top if it were stationary.   When it keeps creeping downwards it makes clicking on, for example, new content almost impossible - I've lost count of how many times I've ended up on the wrong thread as a result.  

Good fun positioning the mouse just below the link you want and then clicking when it comes into range.

Hones the reflexes!

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cliff park said:

I think the creeping banner adverts were designed by somebody with a warped mind. It is almost impossible to click on the 'last post' button while it is creeping down the screen. If anything it makes me promise NEVER to have anything to do with the advertised company because they annoy me so much. I seriously think I will have to cancel my membership, it is all getting too much

Understandable but that's punishing the innocent.  it's the web designer behind this that needs to be put in the stocks and pelted with rotten vegetables.

If I might make a suggestion, it would be helpful if the adverts could be in proportion to screen size.  On a larger screen, the drop-down box at the top is just about tolerable but on a smaller screen, it really eats into the screen space.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The post above prompts recollection of an article by the respected Model Railway Magazine Editor Cyril Freezer, in which he said that some research had revealed that Model Railway Enthusiasts couldn't be sold anything they didn't actually want to buy. I wonder if that still holds true and if those responsible for selecting the ads on here would recognise that as a factor.

At the moment, one third of the width of my screen is either filled with ads, or is completely blank. Additionally, I still have the downward creeping ads at the top which occupies approximately one fifth of the height of my screen. The ads on the creeper are generally completely irrelevant to me. I'm still more resentful of the loss of control of my laptop this inflicts on me, than concerned about the general presence of ads, which I've stated previously said I completely understand.

Regards,

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Brit70053 said:

The ads on the creeper are generally completely irrelevant to me. 

I thought that as well and then all of a sudden up pops an advert for a new housing estate being built less than half a mile away (in a quaint village location!) but the one after that was for a cruise in the South Pacific - a long way from Derbyshire.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 10:34, cctransuk said:

Nothing more than I anticipated.

BRM acquired RMweb - a non-subscription, non-advertising forum for commercial reasons; to raise the profile of BRM. Of course, such an acquisition would come with recurring costs over and above the deal reached with the former forum owner.

In order to offset these recurring costs, BRM introduced more and more adverts and a premium subscription service.

I do not believe that any of the above is other than a true reflection of fact.

A further fact is that some forum members object to the introduction of the latest tranche of intrusive advertisements, which are also displayed contrary to the conditions stated by the person responsible for their introduction.

I do not feel that, in the light of the above, it is unreasonable to express some dissatisfaction.

..... and no, I do not wish to rescind my forum membership; I clearly set down the condition under which I might do so.

John Isherwood.

It's not quite Winter yet John - But speaking from experience on here your very much walking on thin ice.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, crompton 33 said:

It's OK if the ad's where about model railway items. Or real train ticket offers But they are not just c##p that nobody is interested in

Those ads pay for you to access the site for free. Comments like that just get my back up but I guess you thought you'd give us the wisdom of your opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2021 at 16:52, crompton 33 said:

It's OK if the ad's where about model railway items. Or real train ticket offers But they are not just c##p that nobody is interested in

I quite like that purveyors of cr@p sponsor an enjoyable part of my hobby. There's not many places where the slightly spivvy or downright irrelevant stump up so that I can enjoy something at no cost to myself. In many ways I'd count that as a win.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I get there needs to be advertising to fund the site  but I do wonder if anyone from the advertising agencies has done a study on how effective this form of advertising is .  If its perceived as being an annoyance ,which these pop ups certainly are , do they actually put people off from buying these goods on the basis oh its that annoying advert . 

Interestingly todays pop up was for Strathwood , which is the first time I've seen anything railway related .

Todays selection seems to be Ultra Decking, Screwfix  and Gibraltars Cable Car , which is a must see attraction apparently 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I get there needs to be advertising to fund the site  but I do wonder if anyone from the advertising agencies has done a study on how effective this form of advertising is .  If its perceived as being an annoyance ,which these pop ups certainly are , do they actually put people off from buying these goods on the basis oh its that annoying advert . 

Interestingly todays pop up was for Strathwood , which is the first time I've seen anything railway related .

Todays selection seems to be Ultra Decking, Screwfix  and Gibraltars Cable Car , which is a must see attraction apparently 

Don't forget, the Automatic Milking System?

{Quite why I would want to be made aware of, let along rush out & order, an automatic milking system, is really beyond me......}

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

I do wonder if anyone from the advertising agencies has done a study on how effective this form of advertising is

The advertising is done by Google as Andy has said many times before, Last year Google made $147,000,000,000 in revenue from advertising (80% of their total revenue) I expect they know a thing or 2 about how effective it is.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, micklner said:

Thanks to the beloved Media we are now in a so called Petrol Crisis. I do love adverting and all the surrounding hype and spin.

Wholly irrelevant or is RMweb to blame for the fuel shortage?

• Agree 1