Advertising

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

everything I read about advertising suggests that more targeted adverts are generally more successful (and presumably part of that is that they are less annoying)

Evidence (via the bid values for ad slots) shows that the more obtrusive an ad is the more an advertiser will pay to occupy it.

The worst place to be sitting in this right in the middle!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Evidence (via the bid values for ad slots) shows that the more obtrusive an ad is the more an advertiser will pay to occupy it.

The worst place to be sitting in this right in the middle!

I'm sure that is right - probably the closest equivalent to the prime print advertising slots (or at least to a point - you can't easily measure advertisers not wanting to be associated with intrusive ads!).

Cheers M

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Which is somewhat counter-intuitive given that the more obtrusive an ad is, the more likely a user is to block or avoid it - as demonstrated by the number of posters on this thread discussing ad-blockers.

• Agree 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Which is somewhat counter-intuitive given that the more obtrusive an ad is, the more likely a user is to block or avoid it

And that's why we have a fat opera singer flogging us insurance, Barry Scott and his Cillit Bang and the rest of the toe-curling stuff between telly stuff. The worse it appears the better it performs.

Bloody bingo ads!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That may indeed be true for the majority of the population, marketing professionals certainly seem to think it is, and they ought to know.

However irritating adverts on any media are counter-productive in that I tend to actively boycott offending products.   Rather like the argument that Biden got elected not on his policies or his personal charisma but because he was "anybody but Trump".  The question for the advertiser is whether people like me are or are not a minority and whether therefore it is worth annoying your potential customer base. 

Like Jonhall I don't bother much with BRM-created info on this site although I used to buy paper copies of BRM quite often.  I no longer do so, although that's not down to advertising, rather that I have decided I already have far too many old magazines cluttering up too much space.  Perhaps it's just me but I'm not one to throw magazines away once I've read them as I would with a newspaper.  It's years since I bought newspapers too - no point once they stopped reporting news and just reprinted press releases and filled the pages with articles about "celebs".  That's a vicious circle - lack of worthwhile content drives away readers, and decreasing readership reduces their attraction to advertisers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• Moderators

As a member said to me on Sunday "You seem a lot grumpier recently", I agreed and replied "Is it any ******* wonder"? All in good humour from both sides. This and another topic demonstrate why.

Edited by AY Mod
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

I have no problem with advertising, I use Facebook, YouTube etc.

However the new pop up video advert trying to sell me a holiday is most off putting.

How about putting the adverts within the feed as per Facebook rather than over the top of content as the video is now and the banners were ? 

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

Is there any likelihood of an RMWeb forum only subscription service, as well as the all-encompassing gold subscription?

I flipn well hope so!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

TBH I’d prefer an ad free subscription - £20 a year no ads but none of the gold benefits (BRMs already on Readly, why buy it twice?) 

The new videos are annoying, I was more surprised to see one on my iPad when it said they wouldn’t be on mobiles etc - kinda assumed it’d be covered by ‘etc’.  Doesn’t matter, I can turn off a cooking video just as easily as I can ignore an advert.

Every page is too much though, especially when you’ve clicked the wrong topic because the screen hadn’t stopped creeping while the ad for pop-up-blockers/CBD Tampons loads up…

There’s my twopennarth, take my £20

• Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

After the disruption I can now no longer see any video or picture embedded content.

This along with an ad on every click is getting real PITA.

edit : now it’s all come back again, hopefully a temporary glitch.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

Good to see RMweb up and running again, thank you (I think the scale of the disruption and size of the reboot task does demonstrate the size of the site rather effectively - although not in the least stressful way for @AY Mod unfortunately).

Purely factually, if feedback is helpful on the pop-up advertising test (per the banner at the top of the page), as a non-Gold member:

1.  I generally access RMweb from an ipad.

2.  I am no longer seeing the “creeping banner” ads (at all).

3.  It seems to be the case that a video pop-up appears each time I move around the site from one thread to another, or to or from an index page (etc), but not when I move from one page of a thread to any other page of that same thread.

Hope that is useful data, Keith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 29/09/2021 at 20:19, MrSimon said:

BRMs already on Readly, why buy it twice?

Because they don't stay on Readly forever. If you want to look at an old mag, you'll need WoR+, which includes Gold.

Don't think the Readly copies include the video content or extras either. You are missing some good stuff!

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The 'video ads' are very strange. On what I see, there is a video box with video in it, but no sign of ownership, i.e. no sign of what is being advertised.

It's the latest in advertising. Only Gold members get to see what the advertisement is actually for :)

No, I think it's just a test video, if I understand correctly.

Thanks Andy for the big fix. This will not have been your favourite week of all time, I imagine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Because they don't stay on Readly forever. If you want to look at an old mag, you'll need WoR+, which includes Gold.

Don't think the Readly copies include the video content or extras either. You are missing some good stuff!

That however does not apply to Pocketmags so from me the same comment as the poster to whom you replied.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

On the plus side, while the forum was down, at least we couldn't see the ads!

We've knocked them through the print works and we're posting them out on Monday. You may not get back through the front door if you've gone out.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Are they also on the coaster that comes with the paper copy?  Will the new pop-up videos be old extras or random rubbish?  I’m holding out for silver.

Still keen to know what comes under the banner of ‘etc’ if it’s not a tablet…

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

We've knocked them through the print works and we're posting them out on Monday. You may not get back through the front door if you've gone out.

Glad to see you've still got your sense of humour! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The creeping ads have gone for me too, so that's great.  The video at the side is a little distracting (because of the motion), but on my laptop it covers the static ads on the right, which were often for ladies lingerie or swimsuits, which could be equally distracting, but for a different reason!

I'm not sure what advertisers are willing to pay for a video playing at the side of the screen, but I have to say that I don't think it's value for money.  I've seen one with a bird a couple of times, another with a turtle and one with a ship sailing past a buoy, but I've no idea what any of them are about.  One of the adverts was for LG, which had their logo top right of their video, but unfortunately, the logo was largely covered by a small yellow box with 'Ad' in it, so I'd hardly consider that to be a marketing win.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2021 at 02:40, rodent279 said:

Is there any likelihood of an RMWeb forum only subscription service, as well as the all-encompassing gold subscription?

On 30/09/2021 at 04:01, AY Mod said:

I flipn well hope so!

I'd be happy to pay for a version of Gold that included my print subscription rather than digital.