Advertising

• Administrators
6 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Are they also on the coaster that comes with the paper copy?  Will the new pop-up videos be old extras or random rubbish?  I’m holding out for silver.

Still keen to know what comes under the banner of ‘etc’ if it’s not a tablet…

That would be "the coaster" that hasn't been on a mag for 18 months at least?

"the coaster" full of new video content we bury many hours into creating? 

I'm holding out for a new job...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2021 at 11:43, Legend said:

Todays selection seems to be Ultra Decking, Screwfix  and Gibraltars Cable Car , which is a must see attraction apparently 

I find the full page advert blocking all the content that's promoting an ad-blocker quite well targeted.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

44 minutes ago, richierich said:

So the options are adverts or a gold subscriptioN?

Nothing that is just ad free RM web, sort of middle ground?

May I suggest that another option is to install an ad-blocker (as suggested previously) on your chosen device, there is lots of choice and many are free. I was moved to install a blocker when the pop up video boxes started appearing, which I thought were very intrusive, and it was either that or stop using RMweb. The blocker that I installed works a treat and once operating is effective on all sites that you may visit, not only this one.

PL.

Edited by Paperlad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Paperlad said:

May I suggest that another option is to install an ad-blocker (as suggested previously) on your chosen device, there is lots of choice and many are free. I was moved to install a blocker when the pop up video boxes started appearing, which I thought were very intrusive, and it was either that or stop using RMweb. The blocker that I installed works a treat and once operating is effective on all sites that you may visit, not only this one.

PL.

I have no idea why anybody would ever not use one.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

I switched to Firefox with strict security settings for RM web browsing. I don't get any adverts. 

All other browsing is done via Safari.

Paul R

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jamespetts said:

Maybe people who would prefer to support a site they use a lot? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

We've knocked them through the print works and we're posting them out on Monday. You may not get back through the front door if you've gone out.

Delivered in your Bentley no doubt Andy? :lol:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Maybe people who would prefer to support a site they use a lot? 

Hi Andy,

Instead of suggesting folks ought to be willing to see the adverts, why not promote all the ways of NOT seeing them? I'm doing your advertising for you: :)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161417-new-range-of-simple-to-assemble-00em-gauge-pointwork-kits-em-b7-prototype-first-look/&do=findComment&comment=4593015

Martin.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Andy,

Instead of suggesting folks ought to be willing to see the adverts, why not promote all the ways of NOT seeing them? I'm doing your advertising for you: :)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161417-new-range-of-simple-to-assemble-00em-gauge-pointwork-kits-em-b7-prototype-first-look/&do=findComment&comment=4593015

Martin.

I do appreciate that Martin and agree but I also know there are people very unlikely to be suitably motivated and that, ultimately, if they're against for paying for something they freely use (and aren't afraid to tell you that they do) then we have to look at how we can do that for them. If they don't like that either then it's market forces. 

• Like 4

I think that, like everything, it's going to be a compromise. I have no problems with the ads down the right hand side but the 'creeping banner' was a nightmare because it was so intrusive, and actually interrupted our use of the site, so I appreciate you making it go away !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmm Traction magazine!!!!!

As a BRM paper subscriber I would move to this but I do like to sit down somewhere comfy to read a mag.

They do not work on Kindles (unlike novels).

Banner ads (anywhere on the page) fine. 

Adverts within the feed - fine.

Any form of static advertising - fine. 

But anything which floats, or covers content, or has to be swatted by clicking the X to make it go away, or freezes my phone while the content loads means the site gets ignored and I go somewhere else. I no longer read any local news sites for that reason, and if the choice is pay or go without, then I'll go without. Alternative ways of passing the time are available. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The vibe I'm picking up is that ads that interrupt with the ability to use & interact with the site are the ones causing the most disquiet. Ads that simply sit there, which can be ignored, are more acceptable.

I guess advertisers will pay more the the former though.

Edited by rodent279
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2021 at 18:04, AY Mod said:

Phil and I are out and about a lot in normal times (we'll be at the Bachmann event on Sunday doing some filming) and happy to chat if you see us.*

* Except if you've got yourself on the naughty step here, then we just ignore you. :biggrin_mini2:

So THATS why you never talk to me :swoon:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

The only 'problem' I have with the current experimental Ads is again to do with loss of control of my laptop. This is when the video clip presented right and middle of the screen loads and becomes animated, it scrolls the screen I'm trying to view downwards and I have to manipulate the screen in order to see the post I actually want to read.

I think in other contexts, someone else or some outside process over- riding  control of your device might be viewed as 'hacking'?

Regards,

John

ps

Not RMWeb related, but I'm experiencing something similar with a Google app I don't particularly want, but which insists I open it at startup and seemingly has no means of preventing/ dismissing/ removing it without wasting much time going through an over complex procedure. Is it all just a Google thing designed to annoy the user?  

Not asking for a response to this  element, just getting it off my chest, hope I'm not 'out of order'.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If I might note another factual observation with regards to pop-ups by way of data collection / feedback:

There are two types of pop-up, so to avoid confusion I am here referring only to the static ads which appear full-on in the middle of the screen (and everything behind is ‘clouded’).  I am not referring to the inset little videos.

I think I can report with confidence that these do still appear each time I start a new session on RMweb (note: I don’t log out at the end of a session).  This is usually a few times a day.  However, it also appears to be the case that they seem to appear consistently when I try and look at the second thread I try and read in a session, not the first.

I think these were originally intended to appear just once a day, but I believe it’s been reported previously that they do appear more often, and that is my experience.  I am a non-gold user accessing RMweb on an iPad.

Hope it’s Ok to feed this back here, Keith.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Previously, RMweb's ability to go to the latest unread post was extremely good, with the top of the latest 'unread replies' being positioned at the top of the browser window.

The new adverts seem to be interfering with this elementary browser ability.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The new adverts seem to be interfering with this elementary browser ability

It seems to affect some but not all. Which browser are you using?

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Previously, RMweb's ability to go to the latest unread post was extremely good, with the top of the latest 'unread replies' being positioned at the top of the browser window.

Yes I’m having the same problem as this on quite a few topics, sometimes loading to several days past. 

I’m viewing on Safari - my browser that is. I’m not out in the wilds of Africa

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It seems to affect some but not all. Which browser are you using?

Using Safari on an iPad I am also experiencing this more frequently - it did used to happen before sometimes though, suggesting it isn’t solely attributable to the new pop-ups / ads in my case.

On a different note, yesterday I posted this:

17 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

If I might note another factual observation with regards to pop-ups by way of data collection / feedback:

There are two types of pop-up, so to avoid confusion I am here referring only to the static ads which appear full-on in the middle of the screen (and everything behind is ‘clouded’).  I am not referring to the inset little videos.

I think I can report with confidence that these do still appear each time I start a new session on RMweb (note: I don’t log out at the end of a session).  This is usually a few times a day.  However, it also appears to be the case that they seem to appear consistently when I try and look at the second thread I try and read in a session, not the first.

I think these were originally intended to appear just once a day, but I believe it’s been reported previously that they do appear more often, and that is my experience.  I am a non-gold user accessing RMweb on an iPad.

Hope it’s Ok to feed this back here, Keith.

Since posting this however, these pop-ups have gone back to reappearing at the beginning of each RMweb session I start…

…I could start an AI conspiracy theory (best not to).  

Hope it’s a better week for AY,

Keith.