Advertising

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Rollers are vulgar, if it's a new car I'll go for a Bentley

At least Bentleys are the lineal decendants of Rolls Royce. VW bought the Rolls Royce Motor company (but not the name)

BMW just bought the name, so the current Roller is a glorified LWB Beamer with no RR heritage in it,

IMHO a nice bit of sleight of hand by Vickers, who effectively sold the company twice over.

Sorry, off topic.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Don’t know if this has come up already, but the new video that appears on the middle of each page when you open it, seems to be preventing the page going to the first unread post, particularly when the page is image heavy. Instead it opens at the bottom of the page. This is on iPad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Happy to sign up for a free trial

The free trial gives access to the mags but not the RMweb elements due to there being two separate systems.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Don’t know if this has come up already, but the new video that appears on the middle of each page when you open it, seems to be preventing the page going to the first unread post, particularly when the page is image heavy. Instead it opens at the bottom of the page. This is on iPad.

Also on PC's. This one is running edge chromium, and my home one on firefox. Interestingly this one (on edge) seems to take a long time to load pages, especially in the message area....

Not that I'm complaining mind....

Andy G 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Rollers are vulgar, if it's a new car I'll go for a Bentley but would settle for a genuine GT40 but I can't fit much gear in that.

And can I have a dormant volcanic island please; fewer people.

I was going to say that you might struggle fitting yourself into a GT 40, but I won't...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Not in the middle, mine is always bottom right in the blank area and didn't affect operation. (Win 10 with Firefox or chrome)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As an infrequent visitor, just my twopennies worth, the side adverts are fine, but would be better static, the advert for Beer Hawk (who I ordered £154 worth from this morning) is sliding around and distracting - its pointless showing me that as I've already purchased,  and the video box has shown me scantily clad women, giraffes and some feathered birds..this is also irritating as, as soon as you click to close a box, and change a page, another one appears. I subscribe to wnxx.com and this is very similar to RMWEB in style and content, is £10 a year and only a simple small banner ad on the front page, none in the forum itself. Happy to pay a tenner but not £50+ for things I don't want. 

What is the total cost of running RMWEB per year and expected add revenue? Is warners trying to make a profit or just cover costs? Would a subscription model be better? It must be cheaper to run a web forum than to publish a magazine..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

I see that discussion of this issue is now being censored: a reply that I posted to this thread recommending uBlock Origin was deleted and the topic locked without public explanation.

I hardly think you are being censored, its down to the simple fact: How many threads on the adverts do we need??

Although Warners won't want to have ad blockers recommended, they haven't been remove from this thread....

Andy G 

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

I see that discussion of this issue is now being censored

It's not censorship on a forum which belongs to someone else. No-one has a right to post anything on RMweb. It is up to the owners to decide what they want to have stored in their database and displayed on their web site, and what they don't.

Censorship would be if you were prevented from posting something on your own web site.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 33212 said:

and the video box has shown me scantily clad women, giraffes and some feathered birds..

On the basis that web adverts are normally served follows micro-auction linked to tracking cookies and your browsing history the mind boggles….just what are they trying to sell you????

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, 33212 said:

What is the total cost of running RMWEB per year and expected add revenue? Is warners trying to make a profit or just cover costs?

The answers to the first question are commercially confidential. The answer to the second question is that it's not unreasonable for a business to seek to make a profit from any activities otherwise there's not much point in doing it and I'd rather they did too as there wouldn't be much point in employing me.

8 hours ago, jamespetts said:

I see that discussion of this issue is now being censored: a reply that I posted to this thread recommending uBlock Origin was deleted and the topic locked without public explanation.

I've already said I'm fed up of duplicate topics where people can't be bothered to look what's already underway; it's disrespectful to me and the other users that have already covered the points. If they wish to make the point this topic was the place to do it (even though many posts are just repetition so they probably haven't bothered to read posts already made). In light of the first points addressed above I'm not exactly enamoured by someone piping up to promote avoidance of making the site viable so, yes, your post was removed and if you carry on I'll just remove your access; simple. I don't know what you do for a living but you wouldn't be happy if I turned up and started doing things which meant it would harm your employer or telling your customers how to avoid paying for whatever you do. Have a bit of common sense.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 33212 said:

and the video box has shown me scantily clad women, giraffes and some feathered birds.

It's probably based on your google browsing record:yes:

It's actually a placeholder & i haven't spotted the scantily clad women.

Must look closer (Just for research purposes, of course):jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2021 at 19:48, Mike Bellamy said:

I thought we had been told several pages back that these are not the actual advertisements but are test videos on a loop so that they keep repeating the same few. I assume that when the test is over we will then get proper adverts with a frequency based on how much has been paid. Hopefully the Silver Membership will be available by then to pay for just RMweb to be advert free.

Reminds me of those BBC test transmission films from the 1950s & 60s.   Please can we have the potters wheel?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 33212 said:

the video box has shown me scantily clad women, giraffes and some feathered birds

Wot, all in the same video?

23 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

Reminds me of those BBC test transmission films from the 1950s & 60s.   Please can we have the potters wheel?

Bob Symes' "Wheels", please.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

it's not unreasonable for a business to seek to make a profit from any activities

Hi Andy,

That depends on the activities. It's not reasonable to seek to make a profit by installing tracking scripts on someone's computer without asking permission, or explaining what you are going to do with the information harvested. It's not surprising you are having to deal with grumpy members.

I haven't blocked RMweb from displaying advertisements on my computer. I'm happy to look at pictures, read the words, even click the links, at least for ads related to model railways. But I'm not having you install trackers on my computer so I have blocked your tracking scripts.

I'm happy to pay my subscription to World of Railways Plus to cover my usage of RMweb. With the multiple digital magazine subscriptions and massive back-number archive it's a bargain. :)

cheers,

Martin.

• Round of applause 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

It's not reasonable to seek to make a profit by installing tracking scripts on someone's computer without asking permission, or explaining what you are going to do with the information harvested. It's not surprising you are having to deal with grumpy members.

I don't actually disagree with the tracking point you make but it's important to define that it's the advertisers that use any tracking and not us, we don't receive any data about the user or their behaviours - all we see is collated reports on performance. I think it's also fair to say that most who grumble about the ads are doing so on the basis of experience rather than any privacy aspects.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I was going to say that you might struggle fitting yourself into a GT 40, but I won't...

He'll be fine.....as long as they fit the "Gurney bump" door, not like this one :D

805271302_gt40HEAD.jpg.2a46ad916e09b070948511d05479a16f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I don't actually disagree with the tracking point you make but it's important to define that it's the advertisers that use any tracking and not us, we don't receive any data about the user or their behaviours - all we see is collated reports on performance. I think it's also fair to say that most who grumble about the ads are doing so on the basis of experience rather than any privacy aspects.

But in much of the same vein as Martin's comment that it is up to the site owners what goes on the site, the you are of course hosting the advertising service on your site and therefore allowing them to do the tracking :)

It strikes me that there's two things that are annoying people, the fact that the ads are intrusive and the fact that the ads are not relevant. Maybe this is just what happens when you use a third party advertising provider, which lead me to wonder whether it would be more effective to manage ads yourselves. Warner clearly already has a department dedicated to advertising for BRM and other publications, so it doesn't seem an insurmountable step to extend that to website advertising too. The result would be that ads are relevant to the audience and actually complement the site.

I guess the caveat is that there needs to be enough of an income to cover any extra cost of not just farming out ad management to a third party (although it would result in less time moderating conversations like this one!), and that's something commercially sensitive that isn't going to get debated in the open.