Advertising

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Gold users should see trade ads - unless that has been thrown out with the bathwater at some point. I'll investigate.

I don't see any ads here using Chrome on Mac with ABP disabled for this site.

Andi

• Informative/Useful 2

I am going to pop my head over the parapet on this one.

My primary aim is modelling 7mm and I rarely stray from that section of RM Web even though there are plenty of other useful parts to the site. I have been posting details of the building of my layout and latterly building a Westdale BG which I know from comments posted are helpful and interesting to others. I guess I could write them up as articles and it may be that if they were good enough BRM and/or other magazines might pay for for such articles. However I have not done that and don't get paid for the content I am posting nor do I expect to as my 'payment' for want of a better word is in the enjoyment of seeing and learning from what others do and the feeling of community on here.

I also belong to the Gauge O Guild and can access their forum - no adverts - and I also belong to the 7mm Scale society - again no adverts. In both cases I have paid a membership fee and the forum is part of other services from which I benefit. The WOR subscription holds no appeal to me nor did the Gold membership and I would have thought that ad free membership of RM Web would be bundled with subscriptions but it isn't.

That said I accept that RM Web comes at a cost and has to be paid for but I am getting very disillusioned with these adverts and I think that may apply to others as I have noted that some of the very regular posters are not posting as much which makes the whole thing something less than what it was.  Warners presumably bought the site to add something to its portfolio and I assume not as a loss leader. When I joined RM web only had adverts for those who didn't join up. As time has gone on more and more adverts have appeared as I assume the cost of running the site has and continues to increase and Warners expect to make money out of it. They are after all a commercial organisation. So I guess it comes down to the fact that there is no such thing as a free lunch so you pays your money (or not) and makes your choice. However the 'payment' we get for things we post (and I am not talking about those who simply post with derogatory comments about the latest RTR since I don't think they add anything) feels as if it is getting eroded. If those who add useful content simply stop posting then its going to be self defeating prophesy although I don't expect that to happen.

Maybe my interpretation of 'payment' is wrong but currently I feel the package as it stands isn't cutting it and although we've not seen the 'silver' offering I am afraid I don't wish to pay a monthly subscription as I am now retired and on a fixed income. I don't know if others hold the same view but that's my opinion. I accept that adverts are here to stay and I can accept that or move on.

Debate here is healthy and I respect others views and those of the moderators who do a sterling job.  As the saying goes - you can't please all the people all the time!

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, pwr said:

I have been posting details of the building of my layout and latterly building a Westdale BG which I know from comments posted are helpful and interesting to others. I guess I could write them up as articles and it may be that if they were good enough BRM and/or other magazines might pay for for such articles. However I have not done that and don't get paid for the content I am posting nor do I expect to as my 'payment' for want of a better word is in the enjoyment of seeing and learning from what others do and the feeling of community on here.

That said I accept that RM Web comes at a cost and has to be paid for but I am getting very disillusioned with these adverts and I think that may apply to others as I have noted that some of the very regular posters are not posting as much which makes the whole thing something less than what it was.

Hi Paul,

Have you thought that you might be posting on the wrong forum? For example Western Thunder is primarily about actual model building in the larger scales, and has no advertising:

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/pages/about/

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I don't see any ads here using Chrome on Mac with ABP disabled for this site.

Andi

I've just un-whitelisted rmweb using AdBlock on Chrome and although I don't see any ads Adblocker is reporting 3 blocked....

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit, viewing RMWeb on my company issue IPad yesterday evening which does not have an adblocker, I left the video of the swimming turtle running as I found it rather therapeutic and calming...

Then it tried to sell me a guitar!  I am about as musically gifted as a house brick....

• Funny 9

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Paul,

Have you thought that you might be posting on the wrong forum? For example Western Thunder is primarily about actual model building in the larger scales, and has no advertising:

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/pages/about/

cheers,

Martin.

HI Martin

Yes I actually belong to that but have not spent much time in it. Perhaps I should have a look

Paul R

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 16:24, AY Mod said:

We only get paid on what's been delivered, therefore no one is taking money under false pretences; if you choose to block ads you're making an active choice to not benefit the site owner rather than the advertiser.

At what point does RMWeb get paid for adverts being 'delivered'?  When the video add appears at the right of my screen, how many seconds of it do I need to 'watch' for the advertiser to pay RMWeb for the advert?  Obviously if I were to install an Ad blocker, then the site would get nothing, but if I hit the little X straight away, does the advertiser pay?  It has been delivered, but not watched.  If it needs to play for X seconds before payment, then I'm happy to leave it running for that period if it helps keep RMWeb running.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

At what point does RMWeb get paid for adverts being 'delivered'?  When the video add appears at the right of my screen, how many seconds of it do I need to 'watch' for the advertiser to pay RMWeb for the advert?  Obviously if I were to install an Ad blocker, then the site would get nothing, but if I hit the little X straight away, does the advertiser pay?  It has been delivered, but not watched.  If it needs to play for X seconds before payment, then I'm happy to leave it running for that period if it helps keep RMWeb running.

Thank you, as far as I understand any payment would be due when an ad e.g Sky, which I have seen a lot, has started playing after the turtle/giraffe/cruise ship interlude.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2021 at 15:59, RedgateModels said:

I've just un-whitelisted rmweb using AdBlock on Chrome and although I don't see any ads Adblocker is reporting 3 blocked....

No ads.  Possibly as you, like, me are a gold member.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

At what point does RMWeb get paid for adverts being 'delivered'?  When the video add appears at the right of my screen, how many seconds of it do I need to 'watch' for the advertiser to pay

On YouTube you can "skip" an ad after about 5 seconds, so that's presumably the point at which payment for the ad has been made.

The usual payment for ads is a small amount for a "page impression" -- i.e. it appeared on the screen, and a much larger amount for a "click-through" -- i.e. you clicked on it to visit the advertiser's web site. And presumably an even larger amount if you actually buy something.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Thank you, as far as I understand any payment would be due when an ad e.g Sky, which I have seen a lot, has started playing after the turtle/giraffe/cruise ship interlude.

I haven't see any "real" ads in the video pop up, just the same 11 or so images rotating through, occasionally interrupted by the Mitch Martinet logo, whatever that is.

34 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I haven't see any "real" ads in the video pop up, just the same 11 or so images rotating through, occasionally interrupted by the Mitch Martinet logo, whatever that is.

The real ads have 'AD' in a yellow box at the top left hand corner of the video and there is a yellow line under the add when it plays. I've seen adverts for Sky mobile, Aviva, Ford and LG.  The Sky mobile advert seems to be the most common at the moment. Clearly they are not working on you.

• RMweb Gold

Folks have been saying that the World of Railways Plus magazine archive (800 magazines, searchable) doesn't interest them. But it sure interests me and makes the Gold sub well worth the cost.

And it obviously interest others, because Railway Modeller magazine have today announced that their digital subscribers now have access to the entire back number archive of Railway Modeller, back to the first issues in 1949. Over 800 searchable magazines. All those  classic issues, all those CJF track plans, loco drawings -- I may be gone for some time. :)

Martin.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Having taken the plunge and signed up for Gold, I have to say the back editions are fascinating. A good way to while away an hour at work, oops, sorry lunch.....

Even mags that I wouldn't normally get, I'm finding I can delve into, like Garden Railways.

I was sceptical, but I'm glad I've gone for it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The usual payment for ads is a small amount for a "page impression" -- i.e. it appeared on the screen, and a much larger amount for a "click-through" -- i.e. you clicked on it to visit the advertiser's web site.

An example of the benefit of advertising was at our local show a couple of weeks ago. We paid 'Derbyshire Live' £240 for a Facebook campaign which went to 25,000 followers of the local news site targeted at older males and younger females. On the door I was amazed at the number of families who came to the show and when asked, most of them said they had seen it on Facebook. A day or two after the show we got feedback - out of those 25,000, about 2,500 (10%) had clicked on the original advert to go to a page with more information - however their normal click rate is 2% to 5% and so they saw that as a great success. So did we, as our numbers were almost identical to 2019 without the benefit of a Railway Modeller diary entry this time - what we lost in enthusiasts, we made up for in local families.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

On YouTube you can "skip" an ad after about 5 seconds, so that's presumably the point at which payment for the ad has been made.

I've read elsewhere that on YouTube it's 30 seconds before the ad counts as having been 'viewed', and thus the creator gets the payment.

31 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I've read elsewhere that on YouTube it's 30 seconds before the ad counts as having been 'viewed', and thus the creator gets the payment.

According to https://www.bigcommerce.co.uk/blog/youtube-advertising/#types-of-youtube-ads 

In-Stream Ads.

TrueView In-Stream Ads are advertisements that play before, during, or after a YouTube video has played.

These are skippable ads after five seconds, but you won’t be charged if viewers opted to skip the ad.

Google recently changed the guidelines for TrueView for Action ad formats so that cost is incurred after 10 seconds.

If RMWeb users immediately hit the X in the top right of these new videos, then it's likely that they will be frustrated by the video box appearing, but RMWeb actually gets no financial benefit to support the running costs of the site.  Ultimately the reason for needing adverts is to raise the money necessary to pay for the servers and other infrastructure required to keep the site running for those who don't want RMWeb Gold.

13 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The usual payment for ads is a small amount for a "page impression" -- i.e. it appeared on the screen, and a much larger amount for a "click-through" -- i.e. you clicked on it to visit the advertiser's web site. And presumably an even larger amount if you actually buy something.

That means if I click through on the adverts for women's swim suits, I'm only doing it to increase the revenue to RMWeb!!!!:D

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

That's a new excuse... "I was only clicking on the scanty clad ladies in swimsuits Dear to raise money for RMweb..." Will be interesting to hear how folk get on with that approach. In future, could RMweb adverts be cited in devorce proceedings? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just for clarity... Folk keep mentioning signing up for RMweb Gold. As far as I can see that's not available anymore and the only product currently on offer is the WoR subscription. It does however seem that as part of WoR you get a 'Gold' membership of RMweb. 

Is my understanding correct?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just for clarity... Folk keep mentioning signing up for RMweb Gold. As far as I can see that's not available anymore and the only product currently on offer is the WoR subscription. It does however seem that as part of WoR you get a 'Gold' membership of RMweb. 

Is my understanding correct?

That's correct. RMweb Gold now forms part of the World of Railways Plus digital membership. https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/membership

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SteveCole said:

That's correct. RMweb Gold now forms part of the World of Railways Plus digital membership. https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/membership

I tried ages ago to sign up for the WoR but it asked for my digital subscription account number which I have no record of despite popping an email off to the subs department, so I gave up.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, SteveCole said:

Just followed that link but a pet hate of mine is all that information about what you get but nothing on that page about how much it costs unless you go further……why?

• Agree 1