Advertising

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, leavesontheline said:

To save me reading through 28 pages of this thread, which unfortunately I don't have time to do, what is the easiest way of getting rid of the annoying video pop-up that appears every time I change page?

Buy a Gold+WoR subscription. Works every time. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, leavesontheline said:

To save me reading through 28 pages of this thread, which unfortunately I don't have time to do, what is the easiest way of getting rid of the annoying video pop-up that appears every time I change page?

Pay to become a 'Gold' member.

Seriously - there is NO other easy way of avoiding them (although I think some have had success with tweaking their browser privacy settings)

Longer term the site Admins / creator is aware that some have been asking for a 'sliver' payment option which replaces the add revenue but doesn't give access to all the features 'Gold' membership does.

However any such option is still an aspiration at present so its put up with the videos / adds or pay up to become a 'Gold' member

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You still get the pop up video with gold membership. At least I do.

Have you logged into this page Robin?

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/store/membership-subscriptions

It then ties up your account, removes the ads and polishes your halo for you.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Have you logged into this page Robin?

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/store/membership-subscriptions

It then ties up your account, removes the ads and polishes your halo for you.

I have just had a traipse around and that is pretty impressive! I watched most of a garden railway video and then had a bit of a thrash around with the search function on Garden Rail. It works pretty effectively and I found loads of interesting stuff, well, interesting to me...

Quite fun to read a few of Tag Gorton's pieces, who I haven't seen for ages, still "snuffing it" hopefully(!)

Simon  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Buy a Gold+WoR subscription. Works every time. 

I'm getting serious cheesed off with this sort of comment

Why don't some of you realise that there are people who don't want an all encompassing membership.

I don't buy BRM, have nointerest in garden railways etc. so absolutely no point in it.

I am willing to pay a fee for ad free membership but NOT  GOLD.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I don't buy BRM, have nointerest in garden railways etc. so absolutely no point in it.

I am willing to pay a fee for ad free membership

Don't worry, we'll soon have a solution to help you spend something with us.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why don't some of you realise that there are people who don't want an all encompassing membership.

I am willing to pay a fee for ad free membership but NOT  GOLD.

What a strange post. You could pay a fee for Gold membership but not bother look at any of the mags - does that work for you!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, melmerby said:

And I am equally cheesed-off with the superior tone of posts like the one I had responded to.

"To save me reading through 28 pages of this thread, which unfortunately I don't have time to do, what is the easiest way of getting rid of the annoying video pop-up that appears every time I change page?"

Too lazy to read through and follow, wants an instant answer - so he got one. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

"To save me reading through 28 pages of this thread, which unfortunately I don't have time to do, what is the easiest way of getting rid of the annoying video pop-up that appears every time I change page?"

Not as bad as the ones who still keep starting off yet another topic (or status update) because they don't even look down the subforums list of topics or at the other ones I've closed off and directed to here. And the PMs, emails and Contact Us messages. I'm getting to the point where I just ignore the latters as they all take time to respond to. I know that indicates there is wider dissatisfaction with the situation but we will be doing something in addition to the existing solution.

Many of the ones who moan, particularly those who do in vehement tones, probably never will pay to have ad-free usage as they won't see why they should be subjected to advertising; they think being arsey is the solution. The majority, however, just accept the situation (or will wait until there's the right solution) and don't jump up and down for which I thank the silent majority.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Don't worry, we'll soon have a solution to help you spend something with us.

I'd guess that there are a good number of people quietly and patiently waiting for this to be announced without actively participating in the "discussion" (this post notwithstanding).   

The situation re advertising has been clearly (and repeatedly, for those who didn't get it first time) explained (if you can be bothered to read the thread - if not, why are you on this thread?), so as far as I can see it's sit and wait for "Silver" to be announced if the "full fat" WoR Plus isn't to your liking...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Crossed with @AY Mod's post above, in which he's said much the same thing but from his "side" of things...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Unless I've missed it in the myriad of responses to this, I and a few others have asked about those of us who have BRM subscriptions, but not Gold/WoR Subscriptions, and whether we'll get the ad-free Silver as part of our deal??

Cheers

Neal.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2021 at 14:54, Phil Parker said:

The numbers who believe their "wise words" are valuable, and the numbers who's words actually add value are very different. The busiest bits of the forum are those with generally fact-free rows about RTR models. They are also the most expensive to administer because we have to spend lots of time on them herding cats. People LOVE a good row...

NOW I see the Answer, you need a targeting algorithm that can distinguish good content from Fact free rows/ Hot air. The more arguing and hot air, the more adverts on the page as we can be pretty sure that some folk wont let a few Adverts get in the way of a good, pointless row ! :devil:

• Like 4

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

Unless I've missed it in the myriad of responses to this, I and a few others have asked about those of us who have BRM subscriptions, but not Gold/WoR Subscriptions, and whether we'll get the ad-free Silver as part of our deal??

It's a bit of an administrative headache Neal but we will discuss further and see if there is a way; failing that it should be good enough value as an additional.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2021 at 22:14, martin_wynne said:

On YouTube you can "skip" an ad after about 5 seconds, so that's presumably the point at which payment for the ad has been made.

The usual payment for ads is a small amount for a "page impression" -- i.e. it appeared on the screen, and a much larger amount for a "click-through" -- i.e. you clicked on it to visit the advertiser's web site. And presumably an even larger amount if you actually buy something.

Martin.

So if more people took a small amount of time to 'click through' on an Add this would generate more revenue for RmWeb meaning less adverts needed ?

• RMweb Premium

At last, an ad almost relevant to me: jobs for the over 50s - after all at 74 I qualify for that!

Mind you I am quite enjoying the pics of the Arctic, even though I have no wish to go on a cruise there or anywhere else.

I fully appreciate Andy's problem. He is not running a charity. The trouble is that the 'net has led us to expect everything to be free - from e-mail to games and graphics programs. And RMWeb is a pretty busy operation as websites go and therefore not cheap to run.

What would be really nice though is more ads related to the topic of the site. Model railway manufacturers please note. Mind you how many model railway manufacturers actually advertise much anyway?

And if I wanted to take a small ad for a week or so. say for a new book, how much would it actually cost (a genuine question)?

Jonathan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

At last, an ad almost relevant to me: jobs for the over 50s - after all at 74 I qualify for that!

Mind you I am quite enjoying the pics of the Arctic, even though I have no wish to go on a cruise there or anywhere else.

I fully appreciate Andy's problem. He is not running a charity. The trouble is that the 'net has led us to expect everything to be free - from e-mail to games and graphics programs. And RMWeb is a pretty busy operation as websites go and therefore not cheap to run.

What would be really nice though is more ads related to the topic of the site. Model railway manufacturers please note. Mind you how many model railway manufacturers actually advertise much anyway?

And if I wanted to take a small ad for a week or so. say for a new book, how much would it actually cost (a genuine question)?

Jonathan

Re the books advert aspect - ditto for the SLS.

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

So if more people took a small amount of time to 'click through' on an Add this would generate more revenue for RmWeb meaning less adverts needed ?

Really! How much to run a Forum where a lot of the the content is provided for nothing by Joe Soapers? It obviously done to get as many people onto the Mags set up and WOR and to make a few more bob so if it works then job done.

The only add tempting me that I would click on is the Ad Blocker one!! :)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Really! How much to run a Forum where a lot of the the content is provided for nothing by Joe Soapers? It obviously done to get as many people onto the Mags set up and WOR and to make a few more bob so if it works then job done.

I think you would be surprised at just 'how much' it takes to keep RmWeb running. Some of us DO think it's worth doing what we can to help. Of course this also means that YOU can drop your wonderful pearls of wisdom, Absolutely free !

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Turn the volume down; you're only making yourself look daft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

So tempting to ask that us Goldmembers* could be provided with a F#ckwit emoticon that we could use if we read a post that, er, deserved one...

Actually, I reckon that could be a nice little earner for Warners Andy, it would make the paid option soooo much more attractive.

For all the wrong reasons of course.

Soz

* I appreciate that I may no longer actually be a Goldmember and might have been variously demoted or promoted to some other exalted status within the very fine organ that is RMweb.

Hells teeth, we're lucky to have this place, entertainment on so many levels!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10