Advertising

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

So tempting to ask that us Goldmembers* could be provided with a F#ckwit emoticon that we could use if we read a post that, er, deserved one...

Actually, I reckon that could be a nice little earner for Warners Andy, it would make the paid option soooo much more attractive.

For all the wrong reasons of course.

Soz

* I appreciate that I may no longer actually be a Goldmember and might have been variously demoted or promoted to some other exalted status within the very fine organ that is RMweb.

Hells teeth, we're lucky to have this place, entertainment on so many levels!

I honestly think some people live in cloud Cuckoo land ! I bet they walk into restaurants with their own sandwiches and then complain when asked to contribute to the building rates, cost of all the furniture,electricity, water sewerage, wages for the staff who have to clean up after them and clean the dishes they have used, and towards the wage of the poor Sod who forked out to set the place up in the first place !   Joe soap MAY provide the content but SOMEBODY has to pay for the platform Joe Soap Places his pearls of wisdom on for posterity to drool over  :rolleyes:

• Agree 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I bet they walk into restaurants with their own sandwiches   .... SOMEBODY has to pay for the platform

I 'm *sure* it's not just people in this hobby but...

Unless someone has a dietary requirement I don't like people who take their own sandwiches to shows, especially when the club's doing the catering and

I don't like people who munch their own sandwiches on heritage trains. It's just rude and mean-spirited.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

At least on a heritage train you'd hope they would have bought a ticket at least.

You raise a good point; maybe a family could only afford the tickets. However most observed are males of a certain age with a rucksack and an expensive camera. ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I plead guilty to taking sandwiches to shows. Not many provide anything I can eat - gluten free.

But I can recommend the food provided at Scalefour North. And I have found a few things which are OK at Stafford.

But I don't take a flask of coffee! (though TBH the coffee is often pretty poor - but then I spent six years in the country where they probably make the world's best coffee).

But back on topic, anyone who thinks they can run a decent website for peanuts should try. I recently saw the bill for the latest stage of an upgrade to the website of a Society I belong to and it was over ten grand. That's over and above the cost of hosting.

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

But have you tried asking for a boiled egg in most shows? I keep one in my pocket just in case.

I trust it's hard-boiled Martin?

• Funny 3

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Quite fun to read a few of Tag Gorton's pieces, who I haven't seen for ages, still "snuffing it" hopefully(!)

As far as I know, he's still partaking of the snuff (and yes, I don worry that this is the sort of reply that could suddenly age badly. Finger crossed he's with us for a long time yet. )

IMHO, the beauty of Gold is that you can dip into mags that you might otherwise not read and find interesting content. There's a lot of crossover between the various wings of the hobby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

So tempting to ask that us Goldmembers* could be provided with a F#ckwit emoticon that we could use if we read a post that, er, deserved one...

TBH that kind of post does you no favours at all and is definitely not clever or funny.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

As a non Gold cheapskate, I have noticed several differences to the site since the video adverts have appeared.

Accessing the "activity" pages results in the screen view defaulting to the bottom of the listings (or to the blank space below, so needing continual scrolling up.

The video advert "hides" other items in the sidebar, requiring scrolling to see them and access options such as "sign out".

In addition, the adverts haven't changed. I enjoy the one of the large barge and yacht but am getting fed up with the dancer at some car show wearing her grandfathers shirt.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

You raise a good point; maybe a family could only afford the tickets. However most observed are males of a certain age with a rucksack and an expensive camera. ;)

Did you forget the beard with breakfast eggy bits in amongst the hairs and a anorak last seen in a episode of Minder?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

TBH that kind of post does you no favours at all and is definitely not clever or funny.

Au contraire. This thread is revealing a number of people to be rather less than I might have expected. Not paying up is fine, but the sense of entitlement stinks. If, as a result of this, the membership reduced and thus ad revenue went down, I would be happy to pay £100 p.a. to carry on without some of them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Unless someone has a dietary requirement I don't like people who take their own sandwiches to shows, especially when the club's doing the catering and

I don't like people who munch their own sandwiches on heritage trains. It's just rude and mean-spirited.

I can understand where you're coming from - especially if you're referring to small shows, run by a local club.

The position might be rather different for large "commercial" shows - held at major exhibition centres - at some of which the catering has prompted a number of very critical posts on sites like this.

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

At least on a heritage train you'd hope they would have bought a ticket at least. Some folks don't seem to want to do even that around here ;)

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

41 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you forget the beard with breakfast eggy bits in amongst the hairs and a anorak last seen in a episode of Minder?

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Mother probably made them ......

Made them visit the shower? (For some of these guys, I could imagine that being like something out of a horror movie.)

Oh, sorry, you meant the sandwiches - in flavours like fish paste, or mashed-up boiled egg? The thought also sounds decidedly scary.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps for avoidance of doubt I should say that I have nothing against the idea of charging for use of websites such as this, nor indeed of the World of Railways Plus offer.

My concern is my own self control. I spend enough too much time sitting in front of this screen already. I know that, if I sign up, all the splendid extra offerings will overcome my determination to do something useful from time to time (such as some modelling, going for a walk, editing magazines etc). How long before I cease to be able to get out of my chair at all?

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Thanks Dad!

I don't know though - does you good to let yourself down once in a while......

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly this is turning into the Gold members who are looking down on anyone who has a different view to theirs v non Gold members.

In fact some plainly insulting comments from those who should know better.

:(

I am quite prepared to pay something for RMWeb but not all the mags etc. which I have absolutely no interest in.

If it came to either Gold membership or no RMWeb, I will be gone, no doubt to the great pleasure to certain members crowing on about Gold and it's benefits.:D

PS.

I will of course be asking for all photographs and videos I have posted to be removed, which I have contributed and had no payment for:jester:

They must be worth a few hundred pound in fees:good:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I will of course be asking for all photographs and videos I have posted to be removed, which I have contributed and had no payment for

Which have been hosted at no cost to you through a convenient upload facility unlike many forums. If you wish to remove any attachments the tools are provided too https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/attachments/

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

the beauty of Gold is that you can dip into mags that you might otherwise not read and find interesting content.

That's what 'Smiffs' is for. :jester:

The better branches have railroad mags from across The Pond, too, an interest of mine that BRM, by it's very nature, will never cater for.

• Agree 1