Advertising

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Sadly this is turning into the Gold members who are looking down on anyone who has a different view to theirs v non Gold members.

In fact some plainly insulting comments from those who should know better.

:(

I am quite prepared to pay something for RMWeb but not all the mags etc. which I have absolutely no interest in.

If it came to either Gold membership or no RMWeb, I will be gone, no doubt to the great pleasure to certain members crowing on about Gold and it's benefits.:D

PS.

I will of course be asking for all photographs and videos I have posted to be removed, which I have contributed and had no payment for:jester:

They must be worth a few hundred pound in fees:good:

Andy makes an excellent point about the hosting - although I must admit that I wouldn't be in any rush out of the door.

As for the suggestion of Gold members looking down on anyone who disagrees with us (or, as effectively suggested in another person's post a few days ago, anyone who disagrees with moderators etc), I don't think this could be much further from reality.

In my case, I only "signed up" for "RMweb Gold" earlier this year - and this was mainly because a deal on offer at the time worked for me. There's certainly no "looking down" from me.

I could also add that, for a number of years, I worked in a university - in daily contact with students - so I'm used to people having and expressing their own opinions (including opinions which I might not happen to agree with). I've never been in the habit of "slapping down" discussion - far from it - although I'd obviously prefer this discussion to remain polite and civilised, as at present.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that I hadn't noticed the emojis.

However, in view of a number of recent posts from some people (not all of whom remain here), the "debate" doesn't look like going away any time soon.

As for the stuff about advertising, premium membership etc, I don't see any need for people here to panic.

Yes - there are / have been problems with certain adverts - but this is being worked on.

"RMweb Gold" / "WoR Plus" works for some of us - fair enough.

Standard membership works for some people (especially once the "bugs" get "swatted").

As for people who don't want all the adverts - and are happy to contribute towards the site costs - but don't want the "full-fat" "WoR Plus" package - it sounds like there might soon be something for them, too.

Of course, if anyone wants none of these options, nobody is forcing them to join or stay.

Although I'm sure that some people would disagree with me (and I'd have no problem with them disagreeing with me), I can't help wondering if there's actually anything further that can usefully be added to this debate - at least until "RMweb Silver" (or whatever it's called) is officially launched.

When this does happen, I'm sure that a new thread about it is likely to "pop up".

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

PS.

I will of course be asking for all photographs and videos I have posted to be removed, which I have contributed and had no payment for:jester:

Just wait until the next forum software change, and it will all disappear anyway.

How do I know.....? :(

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Sadly my local store doesn't have the 800 magazines in the back-number archive. I shall mention this failing to the manager.

Unfortunately some smiffs seem so old and musty that you might just find that March 1967 Model Railway Constructor still on the shelf:o

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

My local WHSmith has always resembled the scene I would expect from the aftermath of a large gas explosion at a church jumble sale.  It's hopeless and I am still dumbfounded how the place stays in business!!

Oh, there is that turtle again....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1

I must confess that adverts do not often bother me either way (though those pop up ones can be a bit gear-grinding on occasion).

The "secret" is to click them away and tell google why....then, eventually, you get lots of adverts that are very much more your thing...

Unless of course ...cough cough ;)

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there is a Firefox extension which handles these ads in a way which gives most money to RMWEB?

Oh I do pay for my own web hosting, not cheap but I do have ISP less emails now.

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Sadly my local store doesn't have the 800 magazines in the back-number archive.

Which doesn't change my second point, that none of them had any content on North American trains or modelling, thus severely limiting how interesting I would find them.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

And a faint aroma.

Many years ago at a Wembley show (that tells you how long ago)  a friend and I were operating his layout after a good night on the curry and beer.

A young lad came up and watched the trains for a bit, then turned and asked his father "Dad, what's that eggy smell?".

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Sadly this is turning into the Gold members who are looking down on anyone who has a different view to theirs v non Gold members.

In fact some plainly insulting comments from those who should know better.

:(

Oh really, what utter tosh.

To the extent that I (if it is I to whom you refer) was making disparaging comments, well fair cop (although I thought I'd kind of flagged up that I wasn't being entirely serious), but my comment (ill judged as it may have been) was fairly aimed pretty squarely up thread to the (in my opinion) utterly fatuous  comment made by Georgeconna.

Which has naff all to do with Gold membership or not

And as to your assertion about "those that should know better", well if that's aimed at me you're probably right - and so what?

In the few hours since i last posted I have met up with my son and watched a live band (of complete misfits I'm afraid) three miles away on the other side of Bath. I cycled there and back, had a couple of beers and had a thoroughly good time. On the way there I went through several red lights, rode on the pavement, went the wrong way up one way streets and didn't wear a helmet. In my defence I was clearly displaying lights and didn't collide with anyone and any thing.

Life is short and beautiful, we should all stop worrying about unimportant details and enjoy it while we can.

As for Gold membership or not, well that is an entirely personal choice for each of us.

With that in mind, I leave you with this ditty. The tune will be the same as "Goldfinger" and this has only previously appeared in the "Gold Lounge" - so any plebeian non goldmembers reading this may consider themselves very favoured indeed to see it:jester:

Goldmember

It's the plan, the plan that gives so much

Warner's Midas touch

So be a bold member

Come in and enter the heart of RM - web

There's no Rosa Kleb!

Andy and Phil's words will pour into your ear

There really is nothing whatever to fear

Reclining in the palatial Gold Lounge

You're no longer just trying to scrounge

You're a Gold Member....

Goodnight all

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Which doesn't change my second point, that none of them had any content on North American trains or modelling, thus severely limiting how interesting I would find them.

I would recommend you drop your interest in large and varied rolling stock; huge or varied infrastructure; wide variety of scenery, widely varying maintenance standards; and all the other problems that come with the American prototype and concentrate on learning about the only right way, the Great Western to solve that problem ;)

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I would recommend you drop your interest in large and varied rolling stock; huge or varied infrastructure; wide variety of scenery, widely varying maintenance standards; and all the other problems that come with the American prototype and concentrate on learning about the only right way, the Great Western to solve that problem ;)

Since when was modelling "widely varying maintenance standards" in particular, a Problem? 

20210508_222610.jpg.26aa4a085b90a67dc45f31edcdf958dd.jpg

:jester:   :blum:

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

It is just that sort of even-handed, unbiased, candid advice that makes RMweb the place it is. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

Gold member
He's the man, the man with the Midas touch
A spider's touch
Such a cold finger
Beckons you to enter his web of sin
But don't go in

Golden words he will pour in your ear (no adverts !!)
But his lies can't disguise what you fear
For a golden modeller knows when he's kissed her
It's the kiss of death from

Mister Gold member
Modellers beware of this heart of gold
This heart is cold

He loves only gold
Only gold
He loves gold
He loves only gold
Only gold
He loves gold

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Au contraire. This thread is revealing a number of people to be rather less than I might have expected.

I would be happy to pay £100 p.a. to carry on without some of them. 

Quite……glass houses.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Since when was modelling "widely varying maintenance standards" in particular, a Problem? 

Some of us don't need to try too hard to achieve these standards.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1