Advertising

4 hours ago, laurenceb said:

I wouldn't like to be in the caboose

In reality they'd crawl along such rough track. See YouTube for details!! For operations my trains crawl along that siding too, but I did a couple of videos to show the track is reliable and stock stays on the rails. To a large extent that's also thanks to the locos & stock being on trucks (bogies in English). UK outline 4-wheel wagon models would need a lot of compensation to cope.

As for "helpful" advice to follow the Great Western - yes I can do that....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Railway_of_Colorado

:blum:  ....but I do do a bit of BR(W) modelling in O Scale; steam on it's last wheels, late 1965. Will that appease the Unbelievers?

20181214_203317.jpg.1d69d51224619fd87de6f332a15a8d7d.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
Photo added.
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

It actually takes a lot more care, to lay 'bad' track that is still reliable enough to actually run stuff on without derailments. ;)

Iain Rice wrote an interesting article on building “bad track” in MRJ 283, IIRC. A lot of it has to do with the stock, ie you can get away with more using short wheelbase wagons, weight of wagons-more is better, compensation/springing helps and most of all, staying in gauge. Interestingly being a tad wide was not a sure disaster but being under gauge  was. Similarly a lot an be achieved by looking scruffy, with distressed, misaligned, and overgrown sleepers, scanty ballast, etc..

Cheers,

David

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davknigh said:

Iain Rice wrote an interesting article on building “bad track” in MRJ 283, IIRC.

A quick search on RMweb shows that you do recall correctly. :good:

A bit late for me, but I'm tempted to order a copy to see what was said. (not usually an MRJ reader).

On 15/10/2021 at 09:25, Oldddudders said:

And I am equally cheesed-off with the superior tone of posts like the one I had responded to.

"To save me reading through 28 pages of this thread, which unfortunately I don't have time to do, what is the easiest way of getting rid of the annoying video pop-up that appears every time I change page?"

Too lazy to read through and follow, wants an instant answer - so he got one. 

It wasn't an unreasonable request. I genuinely don't have time to read through the whole 28 pages (31 now) to find out what has changed at RMWeb recently and why my forum experience has become less pleasant. If the only answer is "pay for gold membership" then fine, that's the answer. I don't have a problem with that at all....... Except there seem to be lots of people who do pay for it and still get the ads.

I don't get the 'superior tone' comment though? A bit unnecessary really.

Like others, I also pay for a BRM subscription so do wonder why this doesn't seem to 'count' towards anything on RMweb?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, leavesontheline said:

Except there seem to be lots of people who do pay for it and still get the ads.

No they don't. And no one has said they have once their gold membership is completed. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, leavesontheline said:

I genuinely don't have time to read through the whole 28 pages (31 now) to find out what has changed at RMWeb recently

It doesn’t take that long.  Just skim through the complaining posts, the speculation the accusations and the digressions (bad track etc.) and read Andy’s (AY Mod) posts to get the actual facts of the issue.

Cheers

Darius

Three options.

Pay up, its not compulsory, it not elitist or anything else contrary to some think on here , a cheaper pay version is on the horizon.

Put up with the adverts.

Or use simply  Firefox and a Adblocker

That has summed up 31 pages of going in ever large circles at whatever page number it is it is at know .

A lot of unecessary umpleasantness and rudeness , time wasted by everybody concerned ,could have been simply avoided if this had been posted on page 1.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, leavesontheline said:

Except there seem to be lots of people who do pay for it and still get the ads.

As Andy said they (we) don't see adverts, and that is an issue as we then miss model railway related ones.

Hence my suggestion of an adverts sub-forum, a bit like the back pages of a printed mag.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

As Andy said they (we) don't see adverts, and that is an issue as we then miss model railway related ones.

Hence my suggestion of an adverts sub-forum, a bit like the back pages of a printed mag.

So you have RMWeb Gold and you want adverts?   

To quote a RM Sergeant Major in Port Stanley in 1982: “I don’t know why we’re bothering with this lot”.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

So you have RMWeb Gold and you want adverts?   

To quote a RM Sergeant Major in Port Stanley in 1982: “I don’t know why we’re bothering with this lot”.

Cheers

Darius

Gold members are I believe meant to see relevant trade-placed and non intrusive ads but a glitch means we currently are not seeing any ads at all.

Andi

• Administrators
3 hours ago, micklner said:

A lot of unecessary umpleasantness and rudeness , time wasted by everybody concerned ,could have been simply avoided if this had been posted on page 1.

Are you new to RMweb? No. Well then you know as well as anyone that it doesn't matter what had been posted on page 1, it would still be followed by many pages of discussion and people missing the point. That's what we do around here.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Are you new to RMweb? No. Well then you know as well as anyone that it doesn't matter what had been posted on page 1, it would still be followed by many pages of discussion and people missing the point. That's what we do around here.

Wise words indeed, although I somehow feel that the totally pointless contributions from us berks have been somewhat underplayed in your analysis. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, micklner said:

Must be reading a different thread to me :scratchhead: There's been a BIT of unpleasantness and possibly some rudeness, but beyond that it could NOT all have been summed up on page 1, since the issue of adverts has been a fluid one over a few weeks, as various types have been tried out, and feedback given, which in essence has been that repetitive, moving, and/or intrusive ads that block functional parts of the Forum page are irritating and unpopular.

As for 'everyone' wasting their time, the only time you have wasted is your own.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, micklner said:

Or use simply  Firefox and a Adblocker

You don't need an adblocker in Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Just set tracking protection to strict.*

Putting stuff on page 1 won't make any difference to RMweb. Folks will still misread information and re-post it wrong. :)

*but subscribe to Gold first.

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Wise words indeed, although I somehow feel that the totally pointless contributions from us berks have been somewhat underplayed in your analysis. 

But without pointless contributions, the forum would be a very dull place indeed. Or empty in fact - we are playing trains, not curing cancer if some perspective is applied, so ultimately, it's all a bit pointless...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Then someone will start another thread next to this one complaining about adverts...

8 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Eat 5 a day.

Now that will cure anyone of adverts.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Cauliflowers.

4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Eat 5 a day.

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Some flatulence may follow....