Advertising

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

But, I can say...

• Google Ads will stay.
  • There will be a sensible cost ad-free option soon (I can't say 'imminent' or someone will get upset).
  • Once that's in place ads will be developed further for some member groups.

Andy, advertisements are reasonable. I have no objection to them. I look forward to a sensible cost ad-free option.

I recognize that things are in flux and there are some new ad features tonight. Unfortunately it looks like a yard sale. There are new banner ads near the top obscuring website controls - like site navigation tools. They start at a point halfway laterally across the screen.

Additionally there are new floating ads (that don't sit in a fixed position relative to page content) that appear and disappear leaving a blank 'shadow' that obscures content. When closed, the AdChoices by Google prompt appears in an overlay.

I don't know if this is intentional or an artifact of some new ad feature introduction. I do notice an increased level of 'local' targeting.

The overall effect looks unplanned and haphazard and cheapens the site.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Believe it or not some is still being done! (some tonight)

Which probably explains the annoying, non-closable advert at the bottom of the screen today that hangs the computer until its loaded. On the plus side, I don't get the privacy stuff.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Curiosity is the one across the bottom that sits over the content remaining as that seems to be a new one?

That one really makes both reading and replying, more challenging, which I'm sure is not the idea.

Not only that but it covers the notifications made if someone else replies to a topic whilst you are reading it, or there is a notification about a reaction to another topic where you have posted earlier. In both cases, as far as I can tell, the black line pops up for a second and is immediately covered again by the 50/50 white box or advert.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

The repeated privacy agreement stuff is turning up again this morning plus an extremely irritating ad across the bottom of what I'm reading. 

IMHO The whole site's a mess at the moment

What with floating ads obscuring things, a privacy agreement that you can't close and we still have that video in the RH corner.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

One can accept the 'removable' ads, but unfortunately this has now appeared with no 'X' to remove it.

Advert.jpg.f398d21af215f5c485264958621c4132.jpg

Nice to see one of my photos on this thread. The owner of the derriere mentioned in that post was much more attractive.

Jamie

Jamie

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to add to the list of little niggles that need looking at . . . . . . .

A problem that I haven't seen mentioned and wondered if this was just me . . . .  the first time I go from the list of topics in 'View New Content', I get the full page pop-up and then use the back arrow to go back to the previous screen (list of topics in VNC) and then click again on the black dot or star which should take me to the first unread reply. It has already been mentioned several times that the placement of the video advert corrupts this and so I sometimes need to scroll back to find the blue line which indicates which are new response.

However - and this seems to be a more recent issue since we had the full page pop-up, the blue line is missing and so I have no idea which is a new reply except by trying to remember when I last looked at a topic and then scrolling back to see if I recognise any of the responses. This only happens to the first time I look at a topic from VNC when the pop-up appears - all other topics I view do have the blue line to indicate which are unread replies.

To help with a diagnosis, using a PC with Win 10 and MS Edge, I always remain logged in and never delete Cookies.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

However - and this seems to be a more recent issue since we had the full page pop-up, the blue line is missing and so I have no idea which is a new reply except by trying to remember when I last looked at a topic and then scrolling back to see if I recognise any of the responses.

I haven't been able to replicate that Mike but I'll keep watching.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Do try to keep up. It's nearly tomorrow down here.

Funny you should mention that; the people responsible for implementing that advertising code last night are in Aus. You can be our special envoy for poking people with a big stick so I can get a full night's sleep when they're 'testing' again. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I still get this "privacy" icon in the bottome RH which when clicked opens RMWeb cookie settings, but saving the settings doesn't make it go away

Windows 10 - Firefox also on Samsung Galaxy Tab and Firefox

privacy.JPG.5978088399f2ddba44bd97faef38bdec.JPG

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I still get this "privacy" icon in the bottome RH which when clicked opens RMWeb cookie settings, but saving the settings doesn't make it go away

Windows 10 - Firefox also on Samsung Galaxy Tab and Firefox

privacy.JPG.5978088399f2ddba44bd97faef38bdec.JPG

That's always been there since the privacy software was changed to Quantcast. I wish I could make it go away too but I can't.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I haven't been able to replicate that Mike but I'll keep watching.

Thanks Andy - it just happened again. Opened up RMweb as usual and saw there was a notification (top right). Clicked on that to see it was your response - got the full page pop-up - back key to get back to content list and clicked on the notification a second time to go to your response and that is where I would have expected the 'blue line' to be as nobody else had replied between my post and yours - but it wasn't there.

It's as if the software thinks I have already viewed the topic but I didn't as the full page pop-up prevented that first view so when I go back in again, it is as if I have already viewed everything. I'm sure if you switched off the adverts it wouldn't be a problem but we know that can't happen :jester:

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

It's as if the software thinks I have already viewed the topic

I get what you're saying now Mike and, yes, I think that's what is happening as the page is behind the ad.

The only other solution is to click something else, such as View New Content, before clicking on the notification. I will raise this in a meeting tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I have started getting an annoying video pop up in the bottom LH. If I click the X it disappears only to reappear the next time the screen refreshes.

There's been one in the R/H corner for weeks. Are you sure you mean bottom L/H corner? If so, can you please provide a screenshot?

• Like 1