Advertising

57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It seems to spend so much time loading the ads on my lap top that it sometimes times out.

I don't get it on my Android devices just the WIN7 desktop. Perhaps it is the reason for the prolonged loading times. If it is then it's a serious issue, I don't buy devices so others can take it over. Especially not so they are useless for the purposes that I bought them. Advertising is one thing appropriating my property is another. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I did actually click this one into full screen to see where it was, but either way round on the iPad , I couldn’t unmute it , or put the volume up with slider and there was no text on screen - was it a test ?

E593D826-6FD7-4B24-A4BD-69DA76272F37.png

I asked further up this thread where that was and the answer is Mission Bay, San Diego, California, USA.  It's one of these fill in videos between the adverts, which always seem to have a yellow border and 'Ad' in the top left.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I don't get it on my Android devices just the WIN7 desktop. Perhaps it is the reason for the prolonged loading times. If it is then it's a serious issue, I don't buy devices so others can take it over. Especially not so they are useless for the purposes that I bought them. Advertising is one thing appropriating my property is another. 

They do not cause any serious impact on loading times. If you have an issue it could be your device, its age or an OS that's not up to date. As for 'appropriating your device' that's one of the daftest statements I've ever read. Websites do not run on fresh air, we will have a low cost ad free option you will be able to take up soon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

They do not cause any serious impact on loading times.

That video running in the RH corner definitely uses measurable resources.

You can see this in Windows task manager with increased CPU usage.

In my reasonably specced PC it increases CPU usage by about 3%, that has little if any noticable impact.

However my wife's laptop might be somewhat different as it only has a slow dual core Celeron (2 core/2 thread) against my much faster Core i7 (4 core/8 thread)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

@AY Mod Why don't you make your own floating Banner Add Andy ?

" Yes they are testing Adverts again, yes they are annoying, yes normal service WILL be resumed shortly, P.S I'm off to the Pub :drink_mini:"

Then make sure they use it when testing ?

Edited by Matt C
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Matt C said:

@AY Mod Why don't you make your own floating Banner Add Andy ?

" Yes they are testing Adverts again, yes they are annoying, yes normal service WILL be resumed shortly, P.S I'm off to the Pub :drink_mini:"

Then make sure they use it testing ?

I'm doing just that next time Matt - except it's scheduled to be 6am - 9am on Friday. Will ring Wetherspoons to check.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'm doing just that next time Matt - except it's scheduled to be 6am - 9am on Friday. Will ring Wetherspoons to check.

Well with most software testing Andy you pretty much ALWAYS get time over runs so I wouldn't book the Taxi home until midday :drink_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/11/2021 at 20:57, 2mmMark said:

I was wondering how the testing is going. It's certainly very thorough, judging by the length of time it's been going on.  :-)

It was only when re-reading some of my own layout's Thread posts that I realised this 'testing' has been going on for well over a year, now - like this Thread about it!!

• Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 09:19, melmerby said:

That video running in the RH corner definitely uses measurable resources.

You can see this in Windows task manager with increased CPU usage.

In my reasonably specced PC it increases CPU usage by about 3%, that has little if any noticable impact.

However my wife's laptop might be somewhat different as it only has a slow dual core Celeron (2 core/2 thread) against my much faster Core i7 (4 core/8 thread)

You lost  me after " that video .."

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, F-UnitMad said:

It was only when re-reading some of my own layout's Thread posts that I realised this 'testing' has been going on for well over a year, now - like this Thread about it!!

Modellers should be used to development taking forever. :D

To be fair it's different testing. Hopefully it'll all be over by Christmas.

Back to the trenches.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Modellers should be used to development taking forever. :D

To be fair it's different testing. Hopefully it'll all be over by Christmas.

Back to the trenches.

Shall we meet in no-mans land for a game of football?

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Suddenly 3 copies of the same ad in the RH column, really messed up scrolling.

As I scrolled they jumped in and changed what I was scrolling.

Now down to 2 - static.:

ads.JPG.05ea943009cdcc3227846b80870ef2e2.JPG

And yes, their heads were missing!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from across the channel.  The advertising does seem to be affecting my laptops performance.  I'm running Windows 10 using MS Edge.  When i log in the page takes an age to load and I get the message,  waiting for capi-cannatix.com.  This is apparently some sort of third party cookie software.  this has only started in the last few days.  I am also getting at random times a white  screen with the message, "this page has been blocked by an extension" in the  middle. The video at the lower right of the screen is getting annoying as it blocks out navigation controls and i can't move the window.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

While I appreciate that advertising is needed to pay for RMweb, I’m finding it so intrusive that I use RMweb much less.  The ‘testing’ videos are a real pain   (I avoid them my accessing the site on my phone instead of iPad); the ‘testing’ has been going on so and I don’t trust such things when they have gone on so long without and clear reason.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I don’t trust such things when they have gone on so long without and clear reason.

I've tried to keep users updated when there's anything of substance to say.

We should have the low-cost Google Ad-free version available for you soon.

In the meantime those ads are paying for you to access the site FOC.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Not many Gold members on this thread.

Am I right in thinking that Gold membership suppresses these ads? If so, the ball is in my court if they are annoying me.

I get no adds at all, plus I get access to five magazines and back issues. Bargain as far as I'm concerned!

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

I get no adds at all, plus I get access to five magazines and back issues. Bargain as far as I'm concerned!

Jerry

It's only a bargain if you want the mags, if not it's expensive.

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I've tried to keep users updated when there's anything of substance to say.

We should have the low-cost Google Ad-free version available for you soon.

In the meantime those ads are paying for you to access the site FOC.

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Perhaps you didn't see Andy's post earlier today - and particularly the highlighted section. There will be a less expensive alternative and so we'll have to wait and see if you think that is also too much, in which case you are stuck with the adverts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Perhaps you didn't see Andy's post earlier today - and particularly the highlighted section. There will be a less expensive alternative and so we'll have to wait and see if you think that is also too much, in which case you are stuck with the adverts.

Yes I did see Andy's post but was commenting on  Jerry's "I get access to five magazines and back issues. Bargain as far as I'm concerned!" post.

I awaited the low cost ad free version with baited breath.

I had to turn the ad blocker on becuse those ads in the RH panel (not the video) were disrupting the scrolling.

I've turned it off again, the ads seem to have gone (for now!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2021 at 15:34, melmerby said:

I pay, in effect, £1 a week to have access to RMweb. If you think that is expensive then we come from very different directions. In an era when young people regard £100 as the minimum cost of a good night out the Gold subscription is virtually free. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In an era when young people regard £100 as the minimum cost of a good night out 

According to a 2019 report by the Child Poverty Action Group, the average long-term cost of a good night in is £151,000 over 18 years. So these young people may have a point.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1