Advertising

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

the average long-term cost of a good night in is £151,000 over 18 years

And they only get more expensive thereafter!

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

HI all,

I do not know if any one else is getting these 3 problems. The one of having an ad blocking between forums is quite new for me.

1/ When I jump between forums I get an advert in the middle of the screen that locks the movement for about 15 seconds.

2/ these advert fils which are just as intrusive are covering up some of the static adverts. Now I am not sure just how well the advertisers of the static ads will like this.

3/ Also when moving between forums when the video advert comes up it now cause my page to jump to the bottom of the page and I have to keep scrolling up.

I am finding these new adverts like the rest of you annoying and intrusive. I was quite happy with the adverts at the side of the screen. But not these. Plus my wife saw me looking at the advert for ladies skimpy's and gave me hell. Wanting to know what kind of site I was frequenting.

Edited by cypherman
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, cypherman said:

3/ Also when moving between forums when the video advert comes up it now cause my page to jump to the bottom of the page and I have to keep scrolling up.

That's one of the things that I don't like about the video add in its current format as well.  The other is that on page load it tends to cover the 'View New Content' hyperlink, which in my opinion is the most important link on the site.  @AY Mod - if the video is staying, can the 'View New Content'  hyperlink be moved up into the blue RMWeb banner (or anywhere else where it can't be hidden by the video)?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

No. Where.

Andy Y and co have said, more than once (including in this thread if you go back and read it in its entirety), that a subscription service which does away with the adverts but which costs less than the current 'RMWeb Gold' membership is being worked upon and will be unveiled in due course.

If you are that impatient you cannot wait then you have two choices - stop using the site or sign up for 'Gold' membership (which does have quite a few perks if you are into that sort of thing).

Personally, having met Andy Y in person more than once, I trust what he says about a 'mid range' membership offering appearing in due course so am happy to wait.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Andy Y and co have said, more than once (including in this thread if you go back and read it in its entirety), that a subscription service which does away with the adverts but which costs less than the current 'RMWeb Gold' membership is being worked upon and will be unveiled in due course.

If you are that impatient you cannot wait then you have two choices - stop using the site or sign up for 'Gold' membership (which does have quite a few perks if you are into that sort of thing).

Personally, having met Andy Y in person more than once, I trust what he says about a 'mid range' membership offering appearing in due course so am happy to wait.

I never said anything about Not Waiting.

Suddenly today, I get a small video constantly running in the bottom right corner. What is someone supposed to think. It's typical of a Hack or my PC having a virus.

If there had been a message in a bar at the top then it would be clear about what's happening.

Also, I haven't complained about any Ads, just the sudden weird little video I couldn't stop.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Suddenly today, I get a small video constantly running in the bottom right corner. What is someone supposed to think. It's typical of a Hack or my PC having a virus.

The small video constantly running in the bottom right corner has been there for weeks and has generated a dozen pages of discussion in this thread alone.  Is the issue that you don't usually use the PC to view RMWeb?  I don't get the video when viewed on an android tablet, but it's been there for weeks when viewed on a Windows 10 PC with Google Chrome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I never said anything about Not Waiting.

If there had been a message in a bar at the top then it would be clear about what's happening.

Also, I haven't complained about any Ads, just the sudden weird little video I couldn't stop.

That 'small video' has been around for at least a month and a half (according to the date this thread started) - any regular visitor to the forum should be aware of them (and their purpose - which is for them to be occupied for Google adverts in due course) by now.

Besides, if you are a newbie or a person returning after a long time away did it not occur to you to actually read ALL the content in a thread before commenting as its a fair bet that in a thread which runs for 36 pages someone might well, have answered your question*

* says a person who has admittedly learn;t the hard way.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

To all. No, some of you.

I log on here mostly 2 or more times a day and today is the first time I have had the video. And there is no banner today when my problem started. The banner at the top for me has been about Gold for weeks now.

If I had had it before, why would I suddenly ask about today.

I'm not stupid although you seem to think so

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Friendly/supportive 5

38 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

That 'small video' has been around for at least a month and a half (according to the date this thread started) - any regular visitor to the forum should be aware of them (and their purpose - which is for them to be occupied for Google adverts in due course) by now.

Besides, if you are a newbie or a person returning after a long time away did it not occur to you to actually read ALL the content in a thread before commenting as its a fair bet that in a thread which runs for 36 pages someone might well, have answered your question*

* says a person who has admittedly learn;t the hard way.

Simple. I didn't know about this thread until someone elsewhere pointed it out. My first post about the video was in another sub-directory. I'm surprised you didn't read that before making you comment.

Oh, hang on. You didn't know about it, did you!

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

AFAIK the only way you wont see it on a PC is with an Ad Blocker enabled, else it's there.

Have you changed some settings? e.g. browser security level.

Maybe something has done an update which affects settings?

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2021 at 03:27, Neil said:

I've no desire to close down discussion but it seems to have got to that stage where it's going round in circles. Equally I have no problem if threads are closed when they've reached a natural conclusion, which this one seems to have. Adverts are here to stay for cheapskates like me but banished for the golden ones, with the possibility of a half way house on the horizon for those who are only semi-miserly.

If such threads get closed, a new one gets started almost straight away. Usually repeating the same old stuff right from the beginning.

So gaining nothing.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

AFAIK the only way you wont see it on a PC is with an Ad Blocker enabled, else it's there.

Have you changed some settings? e.g. browser security level.

Maybe something has done an update which affects settings?

No and don't know. 

Possibly. Windows often does an overnight update.

However. This is not about whether I had little videos before yesterday or about the ads down the sides. It's about me suddenly receiving the videos I could not stop and thinking the RMweb had been hacked. A point that has been cleared up for me some number of posts back.

A few on here seem to assume I have complained about the fact there are ads. Read my posts again if you are one of these people.

Thank you everyone.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Argh!  This is getting more and more maddening.  I'm now getting a blooming great video at the top of every page and a white window that creeps down from the top of the page and obscures useful content.  If someone is "testing" new advertising features they need shooting.  Do this sort of style change on a test system not on a live one. The site is almost unusable!

I'm not one to moan, especially about something that is free, but this is ridiculous.

Dave (very frustrated)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, eldavo said:

Argh!  This is getting more and more maddening.  I'm now getting a blooming great video at the top of every page and a white window that creeps down from the top of the page and obscures useful content.  If someone is "testing" new advertising features they need shooting.  Do this sort of style change on a test system not on a live one. The site is almost unusable!

I'm not one to moan, especially about something that is free, but this is ridiculous.

Dave (very frustrated)

Someone has been tinkering testing again and it's a mess. Really don't need this today so I'll be having some 'conversations'.

If there's an X visible at the top of the ad closing it will help, a little.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Someone has been tinkering testing again and it's a mess. Really don't need this today so I'll be having some 'conversations'.

If there's an X visible at the top of the ad closing it will help, a little.

Cheers Andy.  From my 40+ years of software development it really seems as though the control of this site is now in the hands of the wrong people.  The fact that folks are able to make fundamental changes on a live system with clearly no testing is a recipe for disaster.  RMweb is becoming increasingly like many other tacky sites overloaded with advertising of a dubious nature.  It's not the site you created and worked hard for.

Cheers

Dave

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Getting onto the site and using it is like wading through glue at the moment. Could it be anything to do with the ads problem...then again it could be at my end? I've just had a 'super fast upgrade' with my broadband supplier which seems to be quite rapid now.

Sorry Andy, all this ad stuff must've become the bain of your life. KBO mate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1